Painting mud flaps?

jc denton

Track Warrior
Car
MR2
Does anybody know how to paint mudflaps properly?? I wan't to paint mine & stick decals on them. On a practice set the paint flakes off as they flex & the decals won't stick...Is there some trick to this or what?:-?

Tbh, I've never heard of anyone painting mudflaps. I've seen cars with spoiler/body kit extensions behind the wheels where mud flaps would go. Or you can buy Rallye style mud flaps & these are available in a broad range of colours or colors should I say. :D

If you can get hold of the stuff, I believe tarten paint wont crack when bent. Nip to halfords of B and Q and see if they have any. Its only cheep.

The mats are probably plastic, or rubber. They must be clinically clean before painting and you will need to rough up the surface (key it) and use a good plastic primer.

Putting the paint on too thick often causes flaking. Do really thin mist coats and let it dry completely each time.

We do actually have an article on plastic painting.

Model shops will probable sell something suitable for plastic. You need to be careful if they are rubber as some solvents will just eat into the rubber.

You either want to add the additive used for painting plastic bumpers (maybe a little extra) or use a vinyl upholstery paint/dye, but first clean it real well, rough it with 320 paper or so.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back