Oversteer understeer or neutral

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What is your preference in a car?

Do you prefer to have Oversteer understeer or neutral handling?

I like the thought of oversteer but I just know I'd do something really silly with it on a wet morning when I'm half asleep!

Oversteer is good fun when its planned. When it catches you by surprise though is only fun when you have survived it without damaging anything.
Only happened to me once where I had to work hard to control it. On a wet roundabout back home and foot down a tad too hard on the exit. The back end was where the passenger door used to be and managed to drift it all the way around narrowly missing the bus in the lane next to me.
Looked very professional and deliberate but wasn't my finest hour and felt good to come away without issue. Could easily been a different story but luckily I am quite used to driving rear wheel drive. If not then I doubt it would have been saveable unless by pure luck

I'm with adam on that one, had a few of those unplanned professional looking episodes and that was when I just got the skyline [ my first RWD car ] so needless to say I shat myself, then felt great afterwards, then started doing it deliberately. Now I can't live without it.

We are talking about road cars here I assume.

If your car's suspension geometry is correctly (full four wheel alignment) set and you are using high quality tyres then I struggle to comprehend how you'd encounter anything of the sort in general driving, even at elevated cornering speeds.

I like the goes where I point it feel