oversteer in MK5 golf gti

spike2018

Tuner
Car
Golf MK5 GTI
hello everyone,

im just a bit puzzled realy, i get realy bad over steer if i go round rounderbouts quick or sharp courners, i have a 2007 mk 5 golf gti, it has good tyres all round, and i just cant work out why it would be oversteering, i was expecting understeer but i dont get that unless its wet.

im about to remap it but want to get this sorted first otherwise im likley to end up in a ditch :(

hope someone can help

tom

its a dsg gear box so is sometimes a bit lift of and the power doesnt kick in straight away, but as its front wheel drive that wouldnt matter would it? no sus mods have been done on it its just standard gti setup.

thanks
tom

yes the throttle being adjusted mid way through a bend will cause the engine to lift or drop, in turn this auses an inbalance and can result in the oversteer.

Yep as Pg says lifting of the throttle half way round a bend WILL cause oversteer if your going fast enough. My old Primera did it all the time, very easy to provoke and very easy to control as well.

Lift off oversteer is classic Torsion beam rear suspension behaviour.

Light throttle or trailing throttle works better on a bend.

I also set rear pressures to be slightly above the fronts on my A3 which gives a nice neutral feel.