Overheating!!!! :(

Yaj

Wrench Pro
Car
Nissan Sunny
I changed my thermostat, temperature unit, and radiator hoses. I've bought the water pump already, most likely sending it too change tomorrow. Do you guys think its the water pump?

I changed my thermostat, temperature unit, and radiator hoses. I've bought the water pump already, most likely sending it too change tomorrow. Do you guys think its the water pump?

Fill 3/4 of kettle with water
or
2pints of water in a metal pot

Then put thermostat to the water and start boiling it...
if at 90C it wont start to open (should be fully open at 95C)
then thermostat is 'not working', change it.

If thats ok then check if fan is switching on at 90C temp of engine, if not then fun is 'not working' and is not cooling the radiator at all after some time.(some of the fans have separate thermostat/sensor, so could be that)
also to check the pump, at 90C radiator it self should slightly burn your hand when you touch it (all the way it surface, top bottom sides), if not or only in one spot, then water pump is not pumping the water due to 'not working' at all... or faulty thermostat same time.
;)

..but that's very strange when you got everything brand new !?!

Hope that helps or you could know that already ;)

The thermostat is working well. How i checked the water pump was by opening the cap (engine cool) and rev-ing to 3000 rpm and looking to see if the water was running through, but that didn't happen, that's why i believe its the water pump, cause everything else was changed

I don't know about that, but its not good to open a cap especially when engine overheats.
But touch the radiator all over when engine reaches 90C, and see if is burning your hand (top bottom sides) if is hot in just one place or at all or almost cold then yes, it is water pump.
If you are 100% sure about the thermostat (I've heard of not working brand new thermostat) then thats where my knowledge finishes.
Did you checked the fan???

Pump????
If you look at the construction of water pump, it's like construction of a hammer ;)
If you spin the outside part then the inside part should spin as well, not much of a rocket since in there.
You sure you wrapped the belt around all the wheels properly (especially around water pump) ???? no idea what else that could be.
If non of it helps than you mat have to wait for Pro members to spot the thread and see what they say.

Well....the air locks are a good tip especially that you were taking the cap off to check the water flow while your engine was overheating already...thats not a good idea while engine temp is 90C

Yeah i checked for air locks several times, cause i changed my coolant twice in the past two weeks. I change the first time just for changing sake, and when i pulled out the thermostat most of it drained, so i changed again.

I guess I'll be changing the temperature sensor today as well. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks!

-A blown head gasket can cause over heating too right? :O

Last edited:
It can but that is usually also matched with a sudden drop in coolant levels.

There could also be a blockage in the block, unlikely but you should eliminate all of the obvious.

Ok, i just did checks for a bad head gasket, definitely not that. Right now I'm thinking either bad radiator or water pump.

-or blockage in the block

Ok, i just did checks for a bad head gasket, definitely not that. Right now I'm thinking either bad radiator or water pump.

-or blockage in the block

Well, is this is your new car with unknown history or your own which you drive every day. ?????
If thats your car then radiator blockage is likely to not be a issue, but check all of it as waynee said.
bad radiator/leak would be again indicated by loss of coolant.

If this is your new car, you should really check everything like with every new car, you never know what was done to it etc.

It's my car, 7 years old. The radiator is all clogged up. Do you guys suggest a servicing of the radiator or just change the thing?

Try jetting it through with a hose - if it is blocked then it is probably rusty and due to be replaced anyway.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back