Other Car Forums

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
I subscribe to PistonHeads as well as here.

PH is a very big site and has some big name contributors. However, I have noticed that it can get very bitchy and abusive at times with arguments getting very heated and personal.

TC not so big and populated with fewer 'knowitalls' but is much friendlier, especially to newbies. Arguments on here seem to be conducted in a far more civilised and measured way.

What does the panel think?

Last edited:
I agree. TQCars is a much more parochial environment where we all look out for each other rather than trying to smash other members' credibility.

I agree PH can be 'very' bitchy at times where people get flamed really badly, But at the same time it can be ok.

I tend to use the Bike bit on there.

whereas TC is much more friendly and from what i've found, will always lend a hand where needed ;)

ive found that questions got answered here, even the more simple ones whee as on the Mk4 forum and VWaudi forum questions go unanswered, at least on here someone will normally reply saying look dont know but hopefully someone else will

I'm on E30Owners aswell but think TC is definetly the friendliest site and like pgarner said if you ask a question on TC then it will be answered :)

I'm registered to a few other car sites, but this is the one on which i spent most time, it's worth.
and the best people about cars are here.

Just looked at my PH stats. Been a member for 55 months and posted 7 times :)

We do have something special here. I've been on other forums and they fall into a few groups.

Lots of pointless "Yeah me too" and "Cool" posts with loads of off topic chit chat and threads being regularly derailed.

Groups of "experienced members" who feel that it elevates them to pull down everyone else and who criticise everything and look for arguements.

Good popular forums that are well moderated but without many interesting new threads.

Also many forums seem to be openly hostile or at best cool towards new members and noob questions.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, a forum is only as good as its members and moderators.

ive been on all of these forums waynne

Lots of pointless "Yeah me too" and "Cool" posts with loads of off topic chit chat and threads being regularly derailed.

a forum called pole position some nice cars very welcoming to new members but with so many young members you get alot of these responses the site wasnt for me in the end they do cruises not meets

Groups of "experienced members" who feel that it elevates them to pull down everyone else and who criticise everything and look for arguements.

this sums up seat cupra net very well dont get me wrong its a great site for info but it isnt like a community like on here and if you try some thing new on the leon like i did i got comments back like with that grill it looks like your car has been in a smash their is only 1 way to style a leon on there and thats a cupra r kit and audi rs wheels they have a thread on there called best looking cupra and 95% of the leons have this no diversity allowed

Good popular forums that are well moderated but without many interesting new threads.

this is mk3oc the only things i really look at on there now are the owners diarys and the regional meets

Also many forums seem to be openly hostile or at best cool towards new members and noob questions.

yet again seat cupra net you ask a simple question on there and i gaurantee the thread will get ignored or the replys will be use the search button then you do and you find 300+ threads bought up but none really giving you the answer you are after

Where this site is unique is down to the diversity of its owners and what they ride. There is no 'cock waving' going on unlike some one make sites. I know because I'm a part owner of one! However we are a friendly bunch and don't really suffer unlike some others do. As said the site is only as good as its members and admin team. I believe any site should have the right blend of admin, moderation and technical bods so as to ensure mediation and presence.

There are quite a few forums I post on and 'lurk', some I used to frequent on a daily basis but now find I may post once or twice a week if that, and that is down to over zealous moderation.

A recent post and response by yours truly from PistionHeads talking about a report of Drivers threatening SpeedWatch volunteers.

SteveBroad
8 posts
55 months
[report]
Yesterday (21:25)
randomman said:
Those ******* old coffin dodging ***s with nothing ******* better to do with there mother******* time. Think they are making the ******* community safer. Well you aint dip *****. You are ******* hate figures. I would happily mow the ***** down and laugh as the other anorak peadofile ******* run away crying.

SO #!#!#!#!#!#! OFF AND DIE

Edited by randomman on Saturday 7th March 09:37
Edited by randomman on Saturday 7th March 09:37

Yup. well thought out, intelligent, coherent, knowledgeable and measured argument. Should do a lot to further the cause for sensible speed limits and driving.

This seems to be not unusual on PistonHeads.

You didn't put all those *'s in to protect us from the spelling though? Paedophile was spelled wrong.

:lol: Got you! Spelled and spelt, both are technically correct. Spelt is also a crop so I went with spelled. What about learned and learnt?

Last edited:
when i 1st read tht i thought it was you that was doing all the ******* swearing :lol:
didnt relise it was a quote from someone else.

Last edited:
You didn't put all those *'s in to protect us from the spelling though? Paedophile was spelled wrong.

:lol: Got you! Spelled and spelt, both are technically correct. Spelt is also a crop so I went with spelled. What about learned and learnt?

Left the spelling as is, it added to the proof that the guy is an idiot.

So is Spelled, according to Google.

Give you this one, that's the last time I listen to the wife :)

Depends if you pronounce it learned or learn ed :)

I guess it depends on your upbringing. My wife's parents were professional middle class with classic degrees and would use spelt and learnt rather than spelled and learned. However, I agree with you, they seem to be more or less interchangeable.