Opel running out of revs

Neil1

Car
Opel Astra 200ie 8v
Hey guys my first post :p

Ok basically I got this car just over a month ago so still getting used to the feel and sound etc... One thing I've noticed is that when pushing it, it slacks off at about 4500 rpm and accelerates slower from there onwards, its VERY responsive in all gears below 4500 rpm, and now and then when I switch it off it pre-ignites which probably is timing but surely that wouldnt make it slack off? Some people say its fuel starvation - petrol pump - timing - petrol filter, one thing I will do is major service in the next 300klms it will be on 125000 klms and see if that does anything.

Once I've sorted that out I'll come with mod questions as I have plans for this car :bigsmile: but any ideas from you guys please will be appreciated! I want to avoid the sharks out there that will tell me it needs a complete overhaul or something to that extent :confused:

Thanx man will get that checked out...

I got a quote from someone to gas flow and port the head - vernier pulley - 276 billet cam + unichip and the price is quite substantial... When I asked him what kind of power increase will that achieve he said he's not quite sure... Put me off now by having to pay that amount for a *not sure* answer. Any guess to what kind of kw gain I'll get from doing that? Or should I try someone else who *may* be sure?

Greetings and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!
Good to have you along with us :)

Could well be a timing issue or simply fuel starvation. It does need sorting though as either is likely to damage O2 sensors and cats.