Olley's E30 project thread.

ok. here goes.

Car: BMW E30 325i touring. auto.

owner: ME :p

Plans: keep it going... possibly upgrades at a later date!

here's the first lot of flicks, apologies about the quality.

Attachments

• 25092011102.jpg
    25092011102.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 528
  • 25092011105.jpg
    25092011105.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 25092011104.jpg
    25092011104.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 25092011103.jpg
    25092011103.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 25092011106.jpg
    25092011106.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 16
Got the prop shaft in today, but the holes don't line up for the centre bearing support... :S
still, made a small amount of progress.

Can anyone recommend a reputable manufacturer for an adjustable FPR?

I'm going to have an issue of 3bar of fuel pressure not providing enough.

HAHA no worries pal. got a little while to go before i need it anyway still some more mechanical bits to reassemble and some wiring to sort out. going to have a crack at getting some more done after I've had some lunch!

E30's rule!! I had two myself in the past, a 318iS, the one with the 140bhp 1.8 16v engine, great wee car until the timing chain slipped!!

So I replaced it with a 325i SE it was a fantastic car but unfortunately the old tin worm got the better of it!! Sold it off for parts in order to get me back on the road!

Hope you can keep yours on the road fella!

Hi Guys and Girls. Again, sorry for the prolonged absence.

The company car has gone, long sad story.

Old Ironsides is on the road, and after suffering various mechanical failings it has been running well for some time now.

five half shafts, (all of them were CV joint failures) one gear box and one main propshaft.

A few updates that I will go into detail about sometime soon when I've got some decent pictures.

There is also some more plans in the pipeline.

All going according to plan It'll be on the dyno this weekend so I'll post up the results Sunday.

I'll be happy with 180 at the flywheel, but I'm hoping for 190+.

Pictures to follow are of mainly aesthetic changes but there is one or two mechanical updates.

The plans in the pipeline are for approx 300bhp N/A and if I can afford to go forced induction it'll be looking at 800bhp at the wheels.... whoops. Anyone know a bank I can rob?

Got that particular T-Shirt.

Very rarely do you come away from a Dyno session with figures you had hoped for. It has only happened to me once (they were actually better than expected).

That is true Old-git, But it is a lot better than the last time it went on the dyno.
As an auto, it had 150 at the converter and 100 at the wheels.

So, here's a few visual updates for you all.
Here's the process of the manual swap...
Thanks to my friend Joel for helping me with this.1.JPG 2.JPG 1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG 9.JPG 10.JPG
1.JPG

Going well thank you, she wants for nothing and yet still throws the odd Pop Diva tantrum every now and again, bless it :lol:

If they didn't throw a wobbler every now and then we'd be concerned.
Any plans to head to the Ace Cafe any time soon?

Last edited:
I will have to check the calendar out, but if you see a good one to visit and I am not on shift then I WILL be there, it's only 30 minutes or so up the road :)

I'm only 20 minutes away so can pop up whenever.

Bad news update. Went to Northampton on Sunday and the crap roads have claimed my splitter. :(

Found the company that made it still sells them, so will get a new one at some point.

Also, anyone with any knowledge of coilovers get in touch. I have some questions.

That's bad news, hope you get it all sorted soon.

What do you need to know about coilovers? Post up a question in the suspension forum and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction (that was an intentional pun!)

Update....
After driving the car for almost a year and getting very annoyed with how poorly it ran when cold I made somewhat of a shocking discovery... It's been running on an ECU for a 2L engine!

So, quick swap around with ECU's Chips and a little swearing. It now runs spot on from the get go!

Also fixed the issue I had with the brake lights, where the bar that runs across behind the dash to the servo/master had a little bit of slack in it, which allowed the pedal to drop which in turn meant that as i wsa driving the brake lights were having a little disco.

So after a full day of tinkering, it both goes and stops better. not bad considering it cost me nothing.

Also paid a tenner for four new exhaust clamps and realigned the exhaust so it no longer rattles. It's like a new car!

Once again apologies for the long term absence but life gets in the way of life.

Updates on the car... Not sure where to start, she's been off the road since the beginning of January and not sure when it'll be done, but the list of work is endless....
I'll get some pictures transferred over from my phone asap. and I'll do a full update later today, need to get on with welding up what will be the new daily!

Right, finally a bit of time to up-date.
First off, it was in almost daily use up until the beginning of January when I decided to bite the bullet and get started on some major work.

Interior came out, all bar dash and drivers seat (was removed and put back in so carpet could come out)

First job was to get the body work done.
Sills, jacking points, floor, doors, wheel wells.

Spare wheel well delete

Next is a custom diff mount. pics of this when it's done.

Full custom exhaust inc. manifold.

Then it'll be coming back home for me to carry on
The current list:
Stroker engine
After market management
Sort out the inlet (bin off the heavy and restrictive manifold)
new coil over set up
Upgrade rear brakes and renew fronts
sort out the alignment to get the castor right
renew and refit interior
sort out the saggy headlining
get some GOOD tyres instead of the premium budgets
get it painted.

I'm hoping most of this will be done this year, but we can all dream!

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0006.JPG
    DSC_0006.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0007.JPG
    DSC_0007.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0008.JPG
    DSC_0008.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0009.JPG
    DSC_0009.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0010.JPG
    DSC_0010.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 1
I've been trying! slow progress at present, but getting there. In between building and repairing cars for other people I do bits when I can. I'm also trying to get my new daily on the road as well. so barely got time to sneeze at the moment. But it's all moving along slowly.

Cheers Yeti, Get your own project thread going!

Obi_Waynne, the car is at Hard Knocks Speed shop (check them out on facebook/instagram, he does some top notch stuff) awaiting some fabrication work. It should be done in a few weeks. then it's coming back home on a truck/trailer and I'll be stripping it to a rolling shell and getting it sorted for paint, so if anyone knows or somewhere near west London that does good resprays I'm all ears.

That's awesome. Take lots of pics and please keep this thread updated with your progress. It's good to hear from you again buddy.

Will do! Will make more of an effort now the progress should be coming thick and fast. May even do a few write ups on some of the jobs I'm doing!

Update.
Not a lot... Engine is starting to take shape, diffs being rebuilt, plans being made for front suspension upgrades (custom lower arms to correct the geometry from the 5 stud swap)

purchase list getting longer and longer, for a change.
Got gearboxes to freshen up, and saving up for paint etc.

Progress has slowed but bits are still getting done!