Olley's E30 project thread.

ok. here goes.

Car: BMW E30 325i touring. auto.

owner: ME :p

Plans: keep it going... possibly upgrades at a later date!

here's the first lot of flicks, apologies about the quality.

Attachments

• 25092011102.jpg
    25092011102.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 529
  • 25092011105.jpg
    25092011105.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 25092011104.jpg
    25092011104.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 25092011103.jpg
    25092011103.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 25092011106.jpg
    25092011106.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 16
I cannot believe that you did not clean the interior out before you took those photos - shame on you! :lol: So what's next on the list of mods then Olley? in-car vacuum cleaner perhaps :)

hahah! nope, next mod is in my shed drying at the moment! looks awesome too! :)

general opinions on the car everyone? not bad for 200 squids if you ask me...

Never mind the interior the ootside was filthy.

Feel free to come clean it for me! haha

another small update.
was at my friends garage/workshop tonight whilst another mate was tinkering with his car after it broke down and i towed it there.

got the nearside headlight wash/wipe system working again and also gave it a quick service/look over and reset the service light...

not sure what i've done but it goes like a new car... the pick up and overall power has noticeably increased. and you can really feel the kick down now! really happy with it! :)

Last edited:
Sorry for the disappearing act folks. been majorly busy with work and stuff

car hasn't progressed much. had new pads and discs all round, new plugs and a general service, including this wonderful stuff made by Lucas oils... it's a stabilising oil, and they do a variant for all manner of applications. i used it with the engine oil and it made a huge difference, so much quieter on a cold start!

Also new badges all round, not happy with the front and rear ones, especially the latter. but wheel centre badges do look good! pics to follow!

all plans are on hold at the moment as work is a bit uncertain. the joys of working through an agency i guess but you know...

did see something interesting on ebay, but at 2.5k i'll give it a miss till i get those 6 lucky numbers.

UPDATE!

damn thing broke down last night. not putting all my money on it, but i think it's the ICV. going to get the carb cleaner out and give it a spit shine, if not i'm looking at about 130 squid for a replacement part from a motor factor... dread to think what the bmw price would be!

Got it going ok again... all it needed was a clean out. still puzzling me though. if the ICV is working, when you unplug it with the engine running, shouldn't the idle change? or cut out altogether?

A few bits and pieces here and there, firstly changed both lower front arms over the bank holiday. absolute pig of a job. both outer ball joints were a nightmare to free off, but a blowtorch to the lower part of the hub soon fixed that. the brackets that hold the ARB droplinks to the lower arm sheared so got some on order (BMW only butonly 14 quid for the pair)

a few months ago i was contemplating getting shot of the car due to it not being all that comfortable, but then i was offered some seats out of an E36 touring (fronts only) by a fella on another forum:

The brackets used to fit them
2013-02-08-096_zps5b98f214.jpg

the end result, much more comfy!
2013-02-08-099_zps9e3d2bf3.jpg

as you can see, plenty of visits to the wild bean cafe for tea and coffee.

Starter motor let go just after the seats were fitted so that's been replaced.

it's going on the rollers this weekend. will be back with the results of that on sunday.

once it's been on the rollers i will be thinking more about power mods.

took a long time to think about it, but it's not very often i'll get the chance to own a car like this. i've got many ideas, but just doing the bits that need doing for the now. bodywork will be next on the list i think. will get some photo's over the weekend!

Sorry for the rather long term absence, but with circumstances being as they were things got a little hectic.

Old Ironsides has been off the road almost a year now, it started with engine trouble, lost all water and lost all compression once up to temperature. Full report to follow.

So, i've taken the opportunity to, lets say, have a little fun.

Pictures, and full write up as soon as i can get round to it. be prepared for a long read folks!

Looking back, i never posted the rolling road results.

From factory, 170BHP, at 23 years old with 220k on the clock, it had 150 at the torque converter and 100ish at the wheels, meaning a drive train loss of about 50.5hp... well that just wasn't good enough, so things have had to be done!!!

Sorry guys! i know it's been far too long... I'll have to try and get it on the road pronto and try and get to some meets!

I've got shedloads of paperwork to catch up on with work, which unfortunately takes priority, but as soon as that's out the way i'll attempt to get you all up to speed with what's occurring! and it's BIG!

OK guys, got the day off today so first on the list is an update for you lovely people....

First off, she has a new engine. the old one after racking up about 224500 miles gave up, lost all compression and water... on the was to work, a replacement car was purchased not too long after which has now gone to a better home, a friend of mine had a Zafira that bit the dust after failing the MOT on steering rack and pump, so the mk1 galaxy was donated to make their life easier for now, long story.

I now have a company car, yes I'm moving up in the world! It's an Audi A3 TDi S-Line, the 140BHP variant. nothing to update on that as it's a company car and I'm not allowed to touch it! :(

Back to old ironsides.

E36 front suspension and brakes, 5 stud hubs, and 328i drilled grooved and vented discs with uprated pads. this was done just before then engine went and i assure you they work. Very well!

E36 compact rear trailing arm set up, again 5 stud hubs, marginally bigger brakes. this was done post engine failure so no idea what difference it has made yet.

Old Ironsides has had reassignment surgery.... we now have a manual G'box!!!! WHOOOP and the diff is from an eastern European spec Diesel E30, which changes the ratio some what. more on that once I've had a drive!

Along with the manual conversion we have a stage 2 kevlar competition clutch and lightened flywheel. 5.5kgs to be exact, which I think is about half what a standard one should be...

Equal length headers, what a ball ache these were to track down! ones made for a LHD car will not fit, I promise you!

Stainless exhaust system, second hand, reasonable price, should sound the nuts.

M50/52 B25 injectors. these have the same flow rate as the old ones, but have 4 injection points, rather than the one that the old ones had, should mean better fuel delivery into the combustion chambers.

Chipped ECU, but that is being done away with as I've had a cunning plan!

Viscus fan delete, that's eliminated 10Hp's worth of parasitic drag! just got to wire in the electric one! which is bigger than the radiator itself.

and just because I can, a little switch panel in the centre console to start the beast for that "authentic" race feel. still to be wired in,

So, as it stands there's a lot done, but she's still off the road. I'll take some pictures later today when I can find a semi decent camera since the one on my phone has a cracked lens!

Awesome update! However, pictures wouldn't go amiss!

My missus often asks what I am drooling over, for her to expect a naked woman she instead finds a stripped engine. :lol:

Okay, i have some pictures. is just clicking upload a file acceptable or do you want them linked from phtotobucket or similar?

001.JPG

Attachments

• 01.JPG
    01.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    213.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 3.JPG