Old school body styling.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Old school styling projects are becomming popular, you take an old car and bring it up to a modern spec in terms of look and performance rather than just restore it.
More...

What do you think of this then?

Can I please state that I intend no offence to drivers of modern cars with my following views and opinions.

Putting it bluntly, modern cars feel very plasticy, flimsy and cheap compared to cars of the 60's and 70's. When did you ever see a Morris Minor, Ford Anglia or Vauxhall Cresta with a grille or interior that looked and felt like a recycled vending machine cup? If an old car has 'leather' interior, it has proper leather that you can smell when you open the door. Modern cars hare soul-less. They dont have interesting lines or quirky features that are so daft that they are cool. Old cars are also so much more fun to drive and be in. Take a Honda civic, Toyota Celica or any other modern coupe for a drive, and the take a 1980 ford capri for a drive. Then tell me which one makes you feel more alive?

Also Old cars were designed to last as long as possible. We now live in a throw away or recycle society, where new cars are built with a life expectancy of roughly 10 years.

Well said. Have you noticed the continual trend from curves to straight lines and back to curves over the years? Modern cars are reliable and economical but as you say are "mass produced and disposable." My Audi is faster than my Tuned up Rover 220 but the 220 was louder, firmer and generally more fun. The Audi is predictable and sticks to road well but potentially is much less rewarding to drive as a result. Drivers like to be pushed and tested a little.

goto admit i preferred to drive my prelude (or back to the future car as the wife called it ) compared to my civic and it was 17 yo. the feedback was much better although the brakes weren't (13" wheels means very small brakes) but the looks you got when the lights popped up was enough never mind the sound it made when at speed, partially due to the powerflow stainless exhaust. dunno somehow it wasnt powerful or really that fast but i think i it was still the best car ive ever owned

I don't think you can actually feel the road in a modern car - they put in lighter than light steering, a dashboard that's 3 feet deep, electronically-assisted brakes and all the other gubbins so you feel like you're driving around in a bubble - my Civic provides a much greater driver feel than the modern Vauxhall Corsa - what happened to them? The Corsa C SXi was fun to drive, the new one's utterly gutless!

cant say im a fan of old school, bring on the new school, but thats propably to do with my age, i think old cars dont look nice (i mean like classics) i love the look of evos, skyline etc

Do you know, until about four years ago I wasn't into classics either, then all of a sudden it was like "whallop". The first classic I fell in love with was a Toyota Corolla TE27 Levin from 1972 that I saw in Super Street - muscle cars and hotrods quickly followed and now I'm hooked - my wishlist includes everything from a lowrider Beetle through to a lairy tuned Camaro with everything in between. Every time I watch Overhaulin' I'm like "I WANT THAT ONE!"

Will stick to my 24yr old Grannie anyday!
I also have a new 57 Corsa D ( on mobility ) :embarrest:, yeah its very nice having a brand new car under ones ' maximus glutinous ' but no fun!!

Chris.. :blink1:

You Know what,Ive been there with old capris & cortinas etc,I could,nt afford a new styled car,so had a old capri & styled it week by week months went by,& this capri looked the part it still had the reputation of not handling too good but after working out my cost on the project then selling it in the end,it made me a K & half profit.How about that so of course I started again with a cortina ..

We've just got a brand new car, but if it wasn't for practicality I'd have my old mk2 G60 over this anyday for just sheer fun and enjoyment.

With new cars, the test is to try and put a smile on your face

with an old car tuned up, the test is to try not to smile . . It can't be done :)

Modern cars:
Rust proofing is much improved.
Seats are, generally, more comfortable.
Engines don't need de-coking every 30,000 miles (may be more to do with petrol quality).
Brakes, handling and steering are MUCH better (if sometimes lacking in feel).
A LOT safer.
Engines produce far more bhp/litre in standard trim.

Old cars:
MUCH easier to maintain and repair.
A lot lighter, so tuning has a greater effect.
Different.
Car clubs are very friendly with far less upmanship and far fewer boy racers.
Although underpowered, they seem fast due to marginal steering and handling on narrow tyres :) So more fun at slower speeds.
Owners of old cars tend to me more [FONT=&quot]knowledgeable[/FONT] (IMHO).
Less likely to be able to drive car faster than your skill level.