old git

steve09

Track Warrior
Car
Honda NSR 125R
dont know how to pm :/ so ill put it here

i saw your robin hood and elan. v nice.

but im wondering what does the robin hood drive like?
and whats the insurance like on it, as its a kit car they seem to be pretty low on the insurance.
i know that your a bit older than me but it should still give me a good idea, also say, compaired to a 2L focus would it be lower would you think?

i was thinking of getting one or similar as i know a few that are around my price range, i love the look of them.

if anyone else can help...... well more the merrier(sp)

dont know how to pm :/ so ill put it here
i saw your robin hood and elan. v nice.
but im wondering what does the robin hood drive like?
and whats the insurance like on it, as its a kit car they seem to be pretty low on the insurance.
i know that your a bit older than me but it should still give me a good idea, also say, compaired to a 2L focus would it be lower would you think?
i was thinking of getting one or similar as i know a few that are around my price range, i love the look of them.

Hi

Drives pretty well. As the chassis is stainless steel it is pretty heavy - 700kg, so it doesn't handle or accelerate as good as, say, a Caterham or Westfield with the same power, but it will make most saloons look pretty silly. However, they aren't as expensive, either. A reasonable example can be picked up for £2-3000 with very little loss on resale. They are usually fitted with 1.6 or 2.0 Pinto engines, so very simple to maintain and tune. Mine has a 4 speed box but the 5 speed type 9 Sierra box is a common option. Rear end can vary andmine is based on the Sierra semi-floating axle whch, again, is heavy but virtually bulletproof in a car like this.

I am just over 6 feet but, apart from the screen being a tad low, I fit in just fine.

Expect to drive around with a smile on your face as all of your senses are in use; this is not a soundproofed, insulated, ICE'd up, soft, comfy ride, it is a fun experience. Although you are rather exposed with no safety features apart from a seat belt and the sudden realisation of your own mortality, 80 feels like 140 so you can have a lot of fun at much slower speeds.

Insurance, for me, is virtually nothing. Fully comp with an agreed value and 3000 miles limited mileage (but no NCB - used on another car) cost me £130 last year and just over £100 this with 1 year's NCB. I don't know how young you are, but my son (19) could insure this car under the same criteria for £900 with Adrian Flux.

The standard 2 litre Pinto produced around 90bhp. At 700kg that equates to around 129bhp/tonne. My one, with 140bhp, works out at 200bhp/tonne.

If you have any, it messes your hair up :). Also makes a mess of girls hair, but they do enjoy the ride!

Not an everyday ride (I check for rain before venturing out as the hood isn't brilliant). Only really for sunny/dry days. Come October I will SORN it until next April. But that could be an old age thing :)

Where do you live?

in sunny ol' kent lol. sittingbourne to be pretise.

£900 for a 19 year old is not bad atall, i was looking at that for a 1.25 mk4 fiesta worth 600 at 18:amazed:

as i am 21 it should be a bit lower than 900, poss a bit more with passplus.

the one i was looking at is based on the 1600 sierra with a bit of tuning done to the engine.
i think this one weighed in at 660kg, i may be wrong tho.

they are rear wheel drive are they not?

if i were to get some uprated suspention, do you think it would be near a caterham?

as for hair being messed up lol.
i would prolly wear a bike helmet for a bit of sound deadening and helping out my eyes from bug attacks lol

Last edited:
in sunny ol' kent lol. sittingbourne to be pretise.
£900 for a 19 year old is not bad atall, i was looking at that for a 1.25 mk4 fiesta worth 600 at 18:amazed:
as i am 21 it should be a bit lower than 900, poss a bit more with passplus.
the one i was looking at is based on the 1600 sierra with a bit of tuning done to the engine.
i think this one weighed in at 660kg, i may be wrong tho.
they are rear wheel drive are they not?
if i were to get some uprated suspention, do you think it would be near a Caterham?
as for hair being messed up lol.
i would prolly wear a bike helmet for a bit of sound deadening and helping out my eyes from bug attacks lol

I wouldn't recommend these as an only car; too restrictive in comfort features and not great in cold, damp weather.

Fitted with the smaller 1600 engine and a lighter rear suspension, 660kg is about right. A lot can depend on how much fuel is on board :)

It's more to do with the weight disadvantage and the more modern engines fitted to Caterhams than suspension geometry. The basic set up is pretty good. You could play around with adjustable dampers, but there is no room for lowering and stiffening them up too much would make them intolerable to drive.

If you want Caterham performance, buy a Caterham. The RH is fun, quick, handles well and good value but is no Caterham or Westfield.

Oh, and PLEASE don't ever wear a helmet when driving one. You will look a complete d**k :). The sounds are part of the experience and just wear driving glasses.

very good point on the glass's part, i hadn't thought of them.
only thought about a bike helmet as i am going to be getting a gsxr soon.
so that would be my main transport, an the robin hood would be for a bit of fun and track days.

i was thinking of getting a car like a focus or audi for main transport but now im thinking of getting a bike as the insurance would only be about 450 a year for a bike rather than over a grand.

now i've heard that the blocks of engines can be the same in different size CC's, i.e the 1600 and 1800 can have the same blocks but different bore size and pistons? as its got the 1600 could i get it rebored to1800 poss 2L. or just get a more modern engine into it with more power, as modern engines are lighter than older ones it would help a bit with handling and overall weight.

just wondering, if your elan is still being build an the robin hood is only taken out on nice days.

how do you get around? other half got a car?

oh and other than tuning the engine, what other sort of engines would fit in there? cos there doesnt look like there is much room for expansion in the engine bay??

this is the one i was thinking of getting

rather tidy.

Looks pretty good from the photo. Similar to mine except for the colour. I sold the '7' grill on eBay and replaced it with a plain one - It isn't a 7. You would feel very embarrassed #!#![FONT=&quot][/FONT] parked next to a real 7 :)

Engine bay is quite big. Any 4 cylinder will fit. Most V6's will also go in and I have seen photos of cars with V8s!!. A tuned Vauxhall 2 litre red top would make it fly without the weight disadvantage of a V engine. Alternatively, as you are into bikes, a Suzuki Hayabusa is another option.

very good point on the glass's part, i hadn't thought of them.
only thought about a bike helmet as i am going to be getting a gsxr soon.
so that would be my main transport, an the robin hood would be for a bit of fun and track days.

i was thinking of getting a car like a focus or audi for main transport but now im thinking of getting a bike as the insurance would only be about 450 a year for a bike rather than over a grand.
now i've heard that the blocks of engines can be the same in different size CC's, i.e the 1600 and 1800 can have the same blocks but different bore size and pistons? as its got the 1600 could i get it rebored to1800 poss 2L. or just get a more modern engine into it with more power, as modern engines are lighter than older ones it would help a bit with handling and overall weight.
just wondering, if your elan is still being build an the robin hood is only taken out on nice days.
how do you get around? other half got a car?

2 litre Pinto engines are plentiful and cheap, so there is no point in trying to increase the size of a 1.6. Fitting a modern engine is an option, however this will also require all the electronic gubbins that goes with these. The Pinto just requires an ignition module so is very simple.

You will find the 1.6 quite quick enough to start with, especially if you are not used to rear wheel drive. In the damp it is easy to swap ends even with a 1.6! Leave it alone for a while while you get used to it and to see if you plan to keep it. It you do, then is the time to consider more power.
Elan is in the state shown in the thread. I drive an LPG 3.9 litre L reg Range Rover. The wife has a 2 Litre Turbo Astra convertible.

good point with getting used to the power, i think i am getting ahead of myself with upgrades. even so, its good to know for the future.

i didnt think about putting a Hayabusa engine into it, that should go pretty damn fast as in the bike they will get 190mph, AND you can stick a turbo onto them(usually just for drag racers but an option :p)

i know all about having the rear end overtake you lol.
the first time i went gokarting it was wet, and i soon found out how much traction you dont have compaired to dry(next time was bone dry, ended up sliding it round pretty much every cornter sooo much fun lol)
now i know gokarts are different to cars but they are rear wheel drive, so some similarity.

on the pinto engine, i read somewere that the 2.1L only has 93 bhp(dippends on the year some are 90 some are 92) how easy are they to up the power on rather than doing an engine swap? and do you happern to know what sort of power they can take without blowing up?

good point with getting used to the power, i think i am getting ahead of myself with upgrades. even so, its good to know for the future.

i didnt think about putting a Hayabusa engine into it, that should go pretty damn fast as in the bike they will get 190mph, AND you can stick a turbo onto them(usually just for drag racers but an option :p)

i know all about having the rear end overtake you lol.
the first time i went gokarting it was wet, and i soon found out how much traction you dont have compaired to dry(next time was bone dry, ended up sliding it round pretty much every cornter sooo much fun lol)
now i know gokarts are different to cars but they are rear wheel drive, so some similarity.

on the pinto engine, i read somewere that the 2.1L only has 93 bhp(dippends on the year some are 90 some are 92) how easy are they to up the power on rather than doing an engine swap? and do you happern to know what sort of power they can take without blowing up?

Standard size is 2.0 (1993cc). Bottom end is pretty strong as standard, so 140-150bhp is relatively easy (head mods, cam and carb change). Next step is an increase in valve size but, once you start approaching 170-180, the bottom end will require attention. Over 200bhp is possible, but expensive.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back