old diesels there is hope

old cars are dead lite diesel engines pull well = fun

• Total voters

dan clio mk1

Wrench Pro
i have a renault clio mk1 its a 1.9 non turbo diesel and its very slow but my m8 says that he can change the strangling fuel injectors and the rev limiter so it growls for an extra 2 or 3thousand revs plus an iduction kit and exaust wrap so it is more efficient = a f**kin fast go-kart in my eyes any1 think any different

Last edited:
Youd still need to get more air into the engine so I would have thought youd need at least an induction kit as well.

argee with HDI your going to need loads more air into the engine to get a huge gain.
look at the vag 1.9
SDI version is a nasp = and its around 68bhp
top spec tdi = 150bhp
both are 1.9s even if you look at the older turboed 1.9 its still 110bhp

also remember diesel engines weigh a hell of a lot more than there petrol equivalaint

the engine is set in eco mode and does 60 miles to the gallon but when hes finished he says it will be doing around 30ish because of the amount of fuel being put it and plus i will be using additives and having the timing changed so it runs better,
but i dont know whether 2 put a turbo on because it has the same engine as a renault 19 which is a turbo diesel but it may muck up my engine with havin 2 much pressure for it and im only 17 so i cant do 2 much to it because of insurance purposes!!!! wb thanks

Last edited:
if your going to be, lets say, twice the fuel into the engine ( am going with the 60mpg - 30mpg. although i do know that it prob wouldnt take twice as much ) then your going to have to get twice the air into the engine, otherwise its going to run rich and in a diesel this means lots of smoke.
might be a better idea to swap it out for the turboed unit or the newer 2.0 hdi units which will have a better tuning advantage than a NASP diesel

I, likewise, think that you'll have a heck of a soot problem if you wind the fuelling up to that degree. All diesels run on excess air as there's no throttle valve.

And they all will show some sooty matter under hard acceleration. Even mine, which has a particle filter, will show some muck if you boot it too hard too at very low revs.

Increasing the fuelling on a NATASP IDI diesel really is not worthwhile. You will maybe gain 5 bhp in return for very poor economy and enough exhaust smoke to attract all the wrong attention.

It also won't do use diesel drivers any good in the eyes of the general public.

Save your money for a year or two perhaps and then go get a VW or Pug diesel. These can be made to go very well indeed with a simple ECU remap.

ok so if you dont think its a good idea with my limited funds what sort of mods would make any sort of difference because my head is all messed up on what to do because i like the car but i dont like the slugishness but i will be lowering it and puttin alloys on so it will handle well i just need somethin to make it go just any ideas im all ears

Pgarner is correct, diesel engines are generally heavier than similar sized petrols so the 1.9 unit in yours will be quite weighty. That can't be changed. As previously said, there's not a lot you can do with a NATASP IDI diesel really.

You can use cetane boosting additives. Millers Diesel Power Plus or its later replacement Millers Diesel Sport 4 will help. As will high cetane fuel, Shell V-power, BP Ultimate and Total Excellium will give a little more torque, which will make a difference to pedal response. These all will help to remove injector gunge - that too will help over a few hundred miles.

We have a Seat Ibiza here with the VW 1.9D engine and it, although slow with its 73bhp output, does feel quite pleasant now it's clean and running properly. In some ways it's nice that there is NO TURBO LAG or TURBO spool up to wait for at all. It's no match for my mapped 406 (192bhp and silly over 300lbft torque) but it's easy and lively in its own way. And it will stand up to 8mph in 3rd gear and take off again quite happily.

Clean air filter will help, as will clean fuel filter.

If you want to be brutal, then use an oil flush additive when the oil's changed. Fill with a decent synthetic of the recommended viscosity.

Check for lost motion on the accelerator cable at the pump end. Slack accelerator cables can make cars feel tardy and lifeless.

Before you make massive changes to the suspension, how about getting all the bushes replaced? And fit some decent tyres if the ones one there are questionable. Get a full four wheel alignment.

Now see if you still want to blow hundreds of pounds on 'stuff'.

thanks 4 the help i will do what u said but i want to lower my car so it looks better thats the main reason tbh will wrapping my exaust make a difference with the air intake and efficientcy

not really,
iunsure about in older idi diesels but modern injection opens the injectors for a time duration, doesnt measure the amount of fuel passed through. Putting larger injectors in place just means more diesel is going into the cylinders.
yes you may gain a difference in power but people will be passing you to get out from the smoke clouds.

have a look around scrappy see if you can find a renault 19 turbo thats not too badly damaged, take the engine and gearbox and fit to yours and sell the other parts to make some of the money back
you may even find someone who with take the old engine off you

problem with ANY nasp engine is it requires a lot of work to get power out and even then its not worth it. you might spend a grand and only get 25-30 bhp. if i spend a grand on mine id be looking at around 80-100 increase ( thats not going down the instant NOS route ).
you might be lucky and find a rear ended turboed 19 for under a grand, and if the engines are the same, mounting points bell housing for the gearbox etc, then it should be a relative straight forward swap. Dont want to put a downer on you just dont want anybody spending money on stuff that is proberly not required, likie i say you might spend £500 on doing up that enigne into a smoke machine that does shift, a bit. Or you could spend the same amount getting and fitting an already turboed engine in its place and having something that will shift along nicely and giving you a slightly better base to start tuning from

possibly, do you know how close the 2 units are to each other ?
changes are the compression might be the only thing between them. if so then all you may need is the turbo. otherwise get a set of injectors as well.
check for play in the turbo BEFORE installing it, nobody wants to waste best part of a day to find out the bearings are shot. also start on low boost even for a diesel ( modern ones, i think (Hdi will be able to confirm as hes the DERV Head :lol:) ,run at around 18-20 psi stock ) so start around 5 or 6 and wind it up slowly. How much of a gain youll get over this i dont know

following that it shows only around 20bhp differnce between the turbo and nasp
get yourself to a parts counter and check the pistons and conrods ( h rods ) between the two engines along with the injectors. if thgey do all match then mabye all you will need is :
intake, turbo,exhaust manifold, downpipe and custom flexipipe back exhaust unless you can get yours to fit

Not really as you have to get oil to the turbo fmor the engine's oil system. Turbo engines differ from non-turbo ones by far more than just the fitment of a turbo. The compression ratio is lower for a start. And you have to fit a different fuel injection pump with a boost compensator on mechanical diesels so that it delivers more fuel when the engine's on boost. The fuel timing is also advanced on boost as there's more of it to ignite so it takes longer to get the flamefront to the piston crown. The injectors will be different to accomodate this as well. A whole engine would be easier, but I really think you're on a diminishing returns curve here whatever way you go about it.

COnsider that even Mercedes Benz struggled with much more than 110bhp from a 3.2 litre NATASP unit in the early 1990's. And Merc engines are usually quite powerful for their size.

as long as you start low and work up slowly you should be alright. if the parts counter can tell you if they match then you should be able to run the same boost