Ok so supercharging train of thought.

Ebay supercharge special

• HELL YES!!

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Don't be an idiot. Pay for a proper kit or shut up.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Just buy a GS300 and go full Partridge.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Yugguy

Torque King
Car
Merc C220Cdi Elegan
OK, so I am quite fancying a Lexus IS250. There seem to be no major issues with these cars beyond if the servicing is neglected and the oil low the camshaft can tick when it opens valves.

I can check that pretty easily. And buy carefully.

However it's not the fastest. The auto is 8.5 0 to 60. Now this isnt the fault of the engine as such. It gives 205bhp which isnt bad for a 2.5 litre. It's just that the car is a luxury saloon packed with stuff and heavy. The GS300 is nice but a bit big for me.

In America you can get a kit, http://www.armaspeed.com/eng/goods.php?act=cat&no=29
it gives you another 100bhp. Sweet yes, but it's about £4000

So it got me thinking. I'd be happy with 230/240. Apparantly you can get around 220bhp with new exhaust headers but they are nigh on £1000 as well and might lose some lowdown torque.

From what I can tell the injectors and fuel pump off an IS250 are the same as a GS300 so must be able to flow more fuel. The Arma kit uses an uprated injector but that's cos it needs to service the fuel for another 100bhp.

Why couldn't I just get a supercharger and intercooler for a few hundred off ebay, get my own pipes made up, and just run it with mild boost to get 230/240bhp?

It makes sense to my limited brain but am I actually talking complete rubbish?

Aren't na remaps usually just more top end power? As I understand it a supercharger should increase power and torque most of the way across the rev range. The engine behaves more like a bigger n/a than if it was turbocharged.

Also the IS250 can't be remapped - encrypted ecu. The Arma kit is a piggyback ecu to control the increased fueling.

Is my basic idea sound or just a pipe dream (badumtish)

Toyota ECUs are always a problem to remap. In many cases impossible.

I think someone's cracked the T180 2.2 diesels, but probably because there's a demand for it, I doubt many IS250 owners would even know about remapping let alone want it.

And let's face it, I'm not sure a DIY supercharger is the best idea on a daily driver.

"I can't come into work today because the pair of tights I'm using as a drive belt have snapped." :lol:

You can definately get turbo and supercharger kits for these in the UK . They are a tried and tested mod. I know someone who has one.

Best see a Lexus forum for details

Too risky if you don't know what you're doing. A kit has had lots of trial and error development and research ploughed into it and there will be some kind of support network you can use.