Ok a tuning question

MrB

Road Burner
Right ive got a question regarding tuning a smart

a remap gives good results on a smart especialy on a diesel we all know this but what does it do to my warrenty

ive found a company that can remap the standard ecu just by pluggin into it so no new chips or anything, im pretty much thinking of getting it done but im a little worried regarding the warenty on the car.... could mercs / smart tell

:lol: This is the Smart you were not going to modify!

A lot depends on the wording of the warranty. Have an anonymous chat with Merc in a different area and talk to them about it. It might even be worth asking if they offer any remap services themselves. I've known some Audi dealers to do remaps for their customers.

I've done some asking around...

The general consensus is a proper remap is preferred over a plug-in box, it seems some plug-ins, on some cars may corrupt the original map, though it's mostly anecdotal & I've not seen any proof. That said the Tunit plug-in is getting good results but is expensive at £495. Also it appears that the remaped cars when driven sensibly are reporting improved mpg's, which is nice.
The remaps offered by Wellsmart & Bigperfomance will not void your warranty either. which is also nice.
I found a recommendation that remapping the deisel is best done when a new car is few months old & has a few miles under it's wheels as the deisel engines are quite 'tight' (fnar fnar) when new.

Big perfomance,

http://www.bigperformance.co.uk/index.asp

Wellsmart,

http://www.wellsmart.co.uk/

BTW your model code is 451 the older generation are referred to as 450's. will be useful when your looking for goodies. :toung:

I can confidently recommend these two as they've been around from almost the beginning & are well known in the Smart scene.

Also handy is this info site run by a great bloke called Evilution. Helped me out alot :amuse:

http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php

Cheers.
Loz.

Last edited:
yes i know the smart i was never going to modify lol, but looking at resuts and power offers of a simple stage 1 remap is quite amazing ie the better throttle responce etc and as you say with sensible driving the added mpg it would offer which is why i got the car would be great. the smoother gear changes etc im looking at it as a vehicle enhancement rather than a modification lol

have you heard of these guys, they only deal in the diesels from what i can see

http://www.thesmartpeople.co.uk/services-remap.html

seems pretty reasonable on your door service...

I haven't I'm afraid, but I haven't kept up with the forums as much as I used to, But the site looks comprehensive but still missing some pages so they might be quite new. The mapping is at a good price though. My only reservation is that I can't see a reference to the new 451 cars, but a phone call to them will sort that out. :amuse:
Do you you know Garage D in Watford? Next door to them is Red Dot Racing, who mapped my car, they might be worth a call too as they're not too far from you.

Last edited:
got a quote off of big performance for £375.00

i'll try the other two as well. i'll aslo ask the question on the 451 with the company i linked as well. i did notice on there site they sell new smarts so that must be 451's i'll ask the Q it cant hurt

ive been trying to find out how many miles its best to do before mapping the deisel but no ones come back yet....

see this is were it goes wrong little things get my intrest then i end up spending bundles lmao

Aren't cars great! :lol:

I'd imagine you'd feel the engine loosen up as the miles go on, was there any instructions on running in? Mine had to have an oil change after 1000 miles (on both engines :lol:).

no need for a 1000 mile oil change aparently. i did ask the question the instructions just say the usual vary speeds in the first few hundred miles etc...

def going to get this map done just want to work out now who to have it done by and at what price

think this is the option im going to go for. its plug and play and can be removed for services etc so no warenty problems at all. been asking and it seems a good product

http://www.chipexpress.com/

standard 45bhp with kit added upto 73bhp
standard 110nm tourqe with kit added upto 159nm

£395.00

im going to wait till the car has 1500 on the clock to fit it but i'll let ypou know what its like once done

Last edited:
Remap today, Stage 3 turbo and roll cage tomorrow! :lol: I gave you at least 2 weeks before you started modding it!;)

Have you modified any household appliances? What is your first memory of modding something? Did you have a good relationship with your mother? What is the longest period of time you have with something being standard ? - Sigmund Freud eat your heart out ;).

ive still not moddified the puma..... its a millenium edition only 1000 made so ive kept that standard and mint

see i have got some willpower lol

when i bought the skyline i was like this is fast enough dont need to do anything to it within 3 weeks it was booked in for remap and bigger injectors lmao. lucky enough the missus thinks its funny if its got wheels i have to play, my problem is i dont know were to stop hence the liner now lol

We pick up the Mrs's smart on wednesday-a 2004 city pulse. Anyone got a top tip for easy power gains?

I'm a mechanic but completely new to smarts!

Hi and welcome DYNO, good to have you with us. A remap is probably the best and easiest option. Have you seen what Brabus do to Smarts? That should give you some inspiration.

mines a diesel so a tuning box from chip express done the job, but def a remap on a petrol makes an amazing difference when you take away all the standard crap they do to the maps

Hi everyone and thanks for the welcome!

I'm not 100% sure on what type the engine is as I'm still waiting for it to be delivered-the wife wants it on wednesday for some strange reason?

I can tell you its a 2004 (53) 698cc but until I can get my hands on it I dont know any more.

Then again knowing my Mrs its probably a Pug 307 or something :blink1:

Right ive got a question regarding tuning a smart

a remap gives good results on a smart especialy on a diesel we all know this but what does it do to my warrenty

ive found a company that can remap the standard ecu just by pluggin into it so no new chips or anything, im pretty much thinking of getting it done but im a little worried regarding the warenty on the car.... could mercs / smart tell

You might check your dealer. I know if you have questions (warrenty, etc.) about a GM, you can call your local GM dealer and they are usually more than happy to answer questions like yours--remapping, chipping, etc.