Ok. 206 1.4i needs power

jakwin

Car
Peugeot 206 1.4
Hi all, this is my first post on this forum.

Right, down to business

I have a 206 1.4I, its 6years old, I've owned it for 2, and now i just doesn't feel that oomph anymore.

What could I possibly do to give me more power, acceleration and/or top speed wise.

Another thing,the engine taps a fair bit, anyone know the reason for this?

Cheers
Jak

Good service and decoke might restore some power lost to worn parts and build up of carbon deposits in the engine.

You can spend loads of money on an exhaust backbox (they don't do cat-back systems off the shelf cos the cat's in the manifold - you can buy manifolds from Supersprint or Raceland which de-cat the car, but then it's not MOT legal) a panel filter and a remap, but you'll see maybe 10% for around £600.00, and that's 10% of not much to start with.

If you really love the car and feel you want to stick with it then for real gains you'd be looking at dropping in a more powerful engine. The 1.6 petrol engine gives you more options for tuning, as do the two GTI lumps (138BHP and 180BHP).

The 1.6 HDI unit is meant to be really good and still fairly economical, but a petrol to diesel conversion is a major ball ache.

A lot of folks like to upgrade to the 306 GTI-6 engine and gearbox but work like that'll cost ya as well.

Some people to look up on the interweb for this type of work are Peugeot Ecosse, Pug Performance, Spoox Motorsport and Pug1Off (if they're all still going).

Or take all the money you'd spend on these works and invest it in something that burst faster out of the factory to begin with?

funny you say that, i had the tappets done yesterday lol! its running better, bit more push but still. Hopefully, if im lucky im gonna go for a 180GTi. quick things they are, and apparently (i found this out yesterday aswell) my insurance is £300 cheaper on a 180GTi than it is with my 1.4i atm! no idea how that works but yea!

what De-Coking? getting out all the carbon?

panel filter wont really help, ive got an induction kit, not an expensive one but i think it helps anyway, if not it still sounds nice. and with the ECU Re-mapp il get 8-10% if that! so what...7-8 if im lucky, to be honest its not enough of a gain to spend £250 on it.

Cheers anyway guys, any more ideas let me know :)

dechokeing is normally a spray that you put through the intake, however id advise staying away from this is the engine has been poorly serviced or hgh millage as you may find the carbon is plugging holes/scrapes in the cylnder adn removing these will mean the engine runs like crud

remapng a nasp as youve said isnt really worth it but remember the 7bhp is peak power. but if thats over the whole curve then youll feel the diference. now look at an exhaust maybe £300 for a decent cat back and what maybe 3-4 bhp gain on a 1.4

206 GTi180 are good cars and they look good so I would get one...however I do think the 306 GTi6 is a better drivers car though and I will be buying one :)