Oil question

Wolverene

Car
Honda HR-V Vtec
Hi there, just joined the forum and am looking for some advice from those in the know.
I am on a work contract in Cyprus where the temps rarely fall below 4 C in winter and go to 40 C plus thru the summer. Recently bought a Honda HR-V manual Vtec and can`t decide if to use 5W-30 fully syn, or 5W-40 fully syn. At the moment the car has semi-syn 10W-40 (Fuchs oil) and uses about a litre per 1600 miles, I`ve replaced the PCV just in case that was letting vapour out. The manual says its acceptable to use 1 ltr per 600 miles, but never had this kind of oil consumption in an engine before but that`s another thing I will be keeping an eye on.
So recommendations please
Cheers

as far as it goes in Portugal (warm country ) Honda engines are known for the oil consumption. and it is seen as a normal "feature" on the Vtec / Vti engines. i agree with oil man and 5w40 is a excelent oil tu use .

Hi PedroS, thanks for the reply,
seems what you say about the Honda engines is true though why they are like this I can`t understand. Another person on this forum mentioned that the Vtec engines use more oil - do you know the reason for that? bad engineering, loose tolerances etc, maybe. This only seems to happen on some engines as many owners report using no oil between oil changes and this car is the first I have owned that consumes/loses oil. Last time I buy a honda as the quality control at manufacture seems to be lousy. Its not that the car is fast or has fantastic performance either.

i hope you guys dont kill me for my statement and for my poor english.... ok
here we go.

Vtec engines are very revy and have a very good "power / size" of engine ratio... (did you understand this?)
for this power to be produced the engine will work more (rpm) , more rpm is equal to more oil used + other good reason is that honda engines have the piston to cylinder clearance slightly bigger than what you can say normal in other makes for trouble free operation on high rpm ... other good cause for the oil to "disapear" is the Vtec system it self. it looks it tends to waste oil because of the valves cycle/angle on higher rpms and the electro/hydraulic actuation of the system it self.....

bloody hell ... my brain is melting....
this is the knowledge i got from the street racing scene back in my country...
hope is correct :bigsmile:

Pardon?:confused:
Thanks PedroS this seems a logical answer - well at least it is technical. Looks like I dont have to keep checking the oil at every set of traffic lights:toung:
I had a CRX 1990 model which had fantastic acceleration which really kicked in at high revs but that car never used oil between changes. The HR-V looks like it will use a litre for 1800 miles (according to my calcs)so by the time I do an oil change it will have had about 3 litres of top up - only holds 3.9.
At least it puts my mind at rest that the engine is not worn out , in fact, in my manual that came with the car, Honda says it is acceptable for the engine to use 1 Litre per 1000 Kilometers (620 miles). Might be acceptable to them but not to me
Cheers
Keith

some owners dotn report it using the oil because they maybe dont have it over 5700rpm very often

true pgarner... thats when all hell brakes loose (or not) with the vtec system.
another important factor is the way you drive when the engine still not warm enough...

I only use the Vtec if needed for overtaking etc. For fast roadwork I use my Mazda AZ-3, a japanese import 1500cc like the MX-3, fun to drive but hard ride due to being lowered. The HR-V was bought for more sedate driving and softer ride so its not being thrashed, but am still suprised by the oil usage under normal driving conditions. Am going to change to 5W-40 synthetic at next oil change and will keep an eye on the dipstick - it certainly seems to have improved a bit since fitting a new PCV. Make a point of always keeping the revs down after starting, giving the oil time to warm up over a few miles.