Oil NOS additive?

wezzel98765

Road Burner
Car
Renault Clio 1.2 8V
Well I am here asking this question, that I have been meaning to ask for ages

3 years back, my brother claims to have bought some "NOS" from Matalan (the clothes shop :confused::confused:) at £15 for a small bottle (about the same size as a Litre bottle). He said that he put it into his engine oil on his 406 TDI.

I was very mystified by this, but interested.

Then, we went for a drive one day, and he said that he had wired it up so that when he pushes the button on the end of his left hand stalk, and then suddenly there is a massive boost of power lasting around 3-5 seconds!. He said that the button never did anything, but I am sure that this button would have been the horn?

After a few weeks, he said that Matalan had sold out :confused:

Anyways, anybody have any idea what on earth this stuff could be, and how he made it work ? I would like some of this in my new car that I will be buying, an MG ZR 2.0 TD :) :rolleyes:

406 LH stalk is reserved for the satnav remote control. THere's nothing you can do by adding stuff to the oil to increase performance. We need more details please.

I think I really need to speak to my brother about this because I can assure you that when he pressed this button on the LH stalk, the car launched quite literally and even if he took the foot off the accelerator it would still accelerate until the 3-5 seconds were over. It was something quite amazing really

Please note, he claims that he put it into the oil (it is of corse possible he is talking rubbish and it was a lot more than this, but he was very unskilled and so I would think not. There was nothing out of the ordinary under the bonnet and I did see the can of "NOS", but never saw him pour it in. He was definately pressing the LH stalk though, he didn't have sat nav in the car (S Reg).

I think I really need to speak to my brother about this because I can assure you that when he pressed this button on the LH stalk, the car launched quite literally and even if he took the foot off the accelerator it would still accelerate until the 3-5 seconds were over. It was something quite amazing really

Please note, he claims that he put it into the oil. He was definately pressing the LH stalk though, he didn't have sat nav in the car (S Reg).

i think you should do just that. Is he getting confused with the cruise control stick? 406 cruise control is a bit brutal when you use the accelerate mode.

I cannot think of anything you can add to the engine oil that does this. Any, further, way would you want it to?

Yeh I will ask him tomorrow because this really does mystify me, maybe somebody has heard of it?

I am sure that his car didn't have cruise control on it, yet again, I shall have to confirm this tomorrow. But I can confirm, those that have a car with a horn on the LH Stalk (like my Renault Clio T Reg), it was a button very similar, just a single button on the end of the stalk that came with the car, will check tomorrow as it is now my dad's car, and I will see if it looks peculiar at all.

I could not think of anything that you could add, but because I was thinking about my next car, and the fact that I am getting a Diesel, I thought, "Hey, what was that stuff that Jamie used in his Peugeot" :)

THer are two stalks each side in my car. RH upper is wipers with end button operating trip computer.

Lower one is for hifi

Left side larger stalk is indicators and lights. ENd button for satnav

lower one is for cruise control

I still don't think this is relevant to any additive that can go in the engine lubricating oil.

I reckon he was pulling your leg. He probably pushed the accelerator hard and held off the gear change.

No oil additive will affect your cars engine to this extent. Ive seen petrol additives that make claims but even those do not act as noticably as that.

It's a big brother thing.

I told my wife that early cars didn't have brakes they just used an anchor which the driver lowerd from a chain, and that is where we get the phrase slam on the anchors from! She beleived me as well! :lol: