Oil leaks

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you have any oil leaks in your engine bay? Does this bother you much or is it something you are planning to get fixed.

I have a leak of somekind, its clear but not really oily. Left a tray overnight with some white paper in it and its definately a clear liquid but has stained the path black underneath :S.

Hopefully not brake fluid, all bottle levels are good though.

i had a few leaks in my old rover haha they where basically just small, very small amounts of leaking oil's as in one was power stearing i just kept on top of them topping up every 6/7 months or so didnt bother me i also kept the engine bay very clean.

Had a gearbox oil leak a bit ago, took it to a garage and they tightened the filler cap and put some more in (for free i might add you excellent people you!) and just stopped. Found out a handy tip that if you squirt water on brake fluid it turns yellow? Dunno how true this is he might have been having me on.

Brake fluid should be clear or a slight amber colour (guess this is what you mean), if it gets dirt in it then this can darken to a brownish yellow but otherwise its clear.

Last edited:
Yeah i've got an oil leak from a seal behind dizzy cap gotta get sorted its not alot just not doing electrics much good plus making a mess on my gearbox..lol scrapyard i reckon:blink1:

nope. wife did though forgot to put her oil cap back on properly :embarrest: cost me a tenner to get the lights reset. vagcom wouldnt connect to the ECU for some reason

have a little leak on my auto box on my 87 trans am
but nothing on the 01 trans am and if it does have a leak it will be fixed as i cant park on my grandads drive if i have a oil leak
am lucky the auto box leak is so slow it might drip once a week if that

and brake fuild is now clearish the old stuff was yellow
and as for sparying water on it should not change the colour as its a oil based so in fact you put water on top after a while it should rise to the top

but could be your air con

Not if you own a Rover, they are standard features! My 220 GTi rebuilt engine leaked after 2 weeks! 4 seals later and I still had slight seepage from a gasket!

i hate having leaks in my car, its why i cleaned up the engiene bay
i check my car for everything weekly. if its a leak il see where its at

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back