Oil issue on gt35 turbo

2nejunkie

Car
Beretta 3400 turbo
Ok, I am a n00b to turbos for the most part. I have a less than 1000 miles on a brand new turbo and I m getting raw oil in intake and exhaust again.
New seals already? What would be causing this seal failure. It has oil, water and exhaust gas. What the hell more could it want lol.
I have a feeling it's the seals. I have rebuilt this turbo before too. Long story short I hooked oil up backwards and at full pressure. It has the proper restrictor in place now and is flowing the right way.
Ruined?

What grade of oil are you using? (I've moved this to our tech forum, hopefully you'll get more people reading it in here!)

Ok, I am a n00b to turbos for the most part. I have a less than 1000 miles on a brand new turbo and I m getting raw oil in intake and exhaust again.
New seals already? What would be causing this seal failure. It has oil, water and exhaust gas. What the hell more could it want lol.
I have a feeling it's the seals. I have rebuilt this turbo before too. Long story short I hooked oil up backwards and at full pressure. It has the proper restrictor in place now and is flowing the right way.
Ruined?

Most turbochargers will emit a very fine oil mist into the air intake tract (downstream, towards the engine) but it should not be building up this quickly. Is the engine oil level depleting rapidly? Any soot/smoke from the exhaust?

Yes, raw oil in compressor. Heavy consumption. Heavy smoke on high rpm.
I have it off the car now. I have the rebuild kit for it now too. The guy I bought the turbo from said I may be giving it too much oil still? When I purchased the turbo I also purchased the reccommended oil restrictor.
I have the turbo running at 6psi which is minimum operating for this turbo.
Should I restrict it more? The center housing doesnt actually fill right? Just stays wet with pressure and a good drain, btw mine is 1/2 inch into the oil pan.
Thanks wayne
Thanks HDI

Last edited:
Blimey, you've got a difficult one on your hands there. 6psi of boost over atmo is very very small indeed. Taking it any lower will likely defeat the reason for having the turbo in the first place (Which is to charge the cylinders fully during each intake cycle).

I am not a fabulous hands on mechanic but is it possible that there's a restriction in the air intake that's causing the turbo to 'suck' too hard and drawing oil from the top of the engine? The bearings rely upon oil at the correct pressure to 'float' properly.

Turbochargers are generally extremely reliable devices provided they're allowed time to cool off after hard usage. This is unlikely to be an issue with a newly rebuilt t'charger, however.

It's right to take it off the car, good move.

Waynne asked what oil you're using. He might just have a point. You do NOT want to be using high viscosity oils in a turbocharged engine 20w/50, for example, will cause problems.

The other problem is that turbos run a very very high RPMs - up to 250,000 rpm is not at all uncommon. Compressor shaft balance is critical. Then again, it's likely to have disintegrated if it's out of balance.

Now that you've removed it, has the oil consumption stabilized? Has the exhaust soot/smoke stopped?

It's possible that the turbo's back pressure is forcing engine oil past the cylinder rings.

This is a knotty issue, one which will take a while to diagnose and rectify.

oil= sae 5w30 now, last motor I used 20w 50 and had very bad luck.
Air resriction= Maybe BOV is set too hard?
Turbo removed solved oil consumtion issue. But I also removed the brass 4 way block that was feeding the turbo, oil pressure gauge and engine oil pressure sensor.
I dont think it is engine blow bye so mauch as oil seals in the turbo.
There was soo much oil in the compressor it was leaking into the cone filter on the intake side.
Night and day difference without the turbo. I have to get this thing boostin again.
I will take detailed pictures of the rebuild. maybe even a video.