Oil catch can

Have you looked at the intake valves before and after installation? Or to phrase better, have you checked to see if the carbon buildup was reduced?

most oil catch cans are more of a breather collection point.
I have one on my stagea . Its job is to collect the gases that are coming out of the breathers which have come from the engine so do contain some "oil vapour".
The catch can collects this and then as it vents it from the top this leaves any oil in the bottom of the can . It just stops any oil being vented over the engine or road or back into the engine.
If you need to empty this on a regular basis then you probably have engine issues

Thanks a bunch guys. This has been very helpful. I don't have any issues at present, but if I am going to increase my boost, I thought this would be a wise addition.

You have a BMW 335i I see... They suffer terribly from carbonisation. Best bet is to get it decoked and then fit an oil catch can. There are a few brands that offer such cans and yes, they do work. IF you buy a decent one. I bought an ebay special and it now leaks, but it did catch ALOT of vapour and oily mixtures.

I have purchased a new oil catch can to my exact spec from OBP motorosports. Excellent service and I will be fitting it this weekend hopefully. I'll keep you posted.

I have read as much. It makes sense. There is a local shop that will do the walnut shell blast for ~150$ USD. Please let me know how it goes.

I grew up with the guy that owns the best import garage in town, so...
Out of curiosity, have you looked at the intakes post cleaning and oil catch can?

A catch can is nothing special - only a container with a inlet or outlet (or two)
Mine is combined withe resovoirs for the front and rear screens to save space .
It polished and the welds are a work of art - Cost about £200 but that was a few years ago and it does have three seperate internal compartments.

Yet it serves a great purpose which our German engineers overlooked. Either that or they intentionally made it hard and/or adverse to modify. Before I increase boost, the catch can is a must.

A better choice than a catch can would be an oil separator /vent system. I made mine for my turbo race engine so that when on boost the blow by would push oil into my container , inside the container are baffles which separate oil from air . As soon as I am off boost the liquid oil returns back to the engine automatically with no loss of oil. The trick is mounting the tank above and forward of your engine so gravity does all the work. The only part open to the atmosphere is the filter on top . Mine weighed almost nothing and cost less than $25.00 to make. Again I drag raced so it had to work and weight was VERY important, plus on my car no one could see it . Mike McCarthy

my engine has baffles inside the rocker cover as standard which works absolutely fine at factory boost levels.
As i am running close to three times that the catch can is needed more for pressure release than oil catching.

I do not know anything about your car or how it is plumbed so anything I suggest is merely an attempt to help by a stranger. I am guessing you do have a PCV system , is the loss of vacuum by using a catch can going to effect that ? If so I would suggest using a spring loaded ball ( check valve) that is adjustable pressure wise ( similar to a Hilborn Injection componant ) that allows air to flow one direction only . Here is a picture of the valve I am talking about,
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Hilborn-Fuel-Injection-END510S-Secondary-Bypass-Valve-Brass,317.html The pressure required to pass through is adjustable with different springs . The valve will maintain vacuum ( pcv operation )in your engine when not on boost. If you require an odd spring to make it work I may have them in my Hilborn Injection box.

I think I may not have explained thing too well.
Engine was originally an RB26 (skyline ) In standard form there are baffle plates in the two rocker coveres to catch the oil and these are linked by external pipes and then the air is put back into the induction with a recirc valve At .6 or .8 bar this is fine.
When tuned up these motors will often be running 1.5 bar and revving a lot higher than standard. The recirc valve then doesnt hold the extra pressure and volume of air well. In fact that is an understaement.
Standard practice with around 500bhp is to take out the recirc valve and fit one or two BOVs . The pressured air in the rocker covers has still has to go somewhere so rather than just vent to the atmosphere it is put into a catch tank.
Mine will have a giken 3 litre motor which makes things worse still . hence the tank.

There are no fueling issues as the Link ecu controls that .

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back