Oh god, i've gone and done it!!!!...

Well looks like the cammed V6 idea is going out of the window. I can't justify the amount of money needed to get anything decent out of them. Not as tunable as other V6 I've had in the past so I'm afraid it has to go....

...to be replaced by a 250bhp T16 engine with front mounted intercooler, all pipework and ancillaries, custom loom, garrett t25 with a t28 very soon after, uprated drive shafts and modified mountings.

I will be using Rover 420 T16 none turbo engine stabilizers and fitting them to the ZS subframes rather than using the Rover Coupe ones which aren't as strong, and don't want to mess with the handling of the ZS by using crapper parts.

The conversion is coming out of an MG ZR so half the conversion is already done, just need to modify a couple of things to get it snug in the ZS.

Suspension and brakes dont have to be touched as I'm starting with the V6 model and the weight of the T16 is almost identical to the KV6 engine, then a set of dimpled and grooved disks and mintex pads will be fitted.

I have the option of buying some goodies for it that were never fitted such as uprated rods and pistons, T28 turbo, even larger front mounted intercooler plus a few other bits.

One of the things with the MEMS ecu is that it can't be retuned or mapped etc, so there for it has to be mechanical tuning. but it can go up to a max of 14.7 psi, and you only need 12psi for 250bhp using the garrett t28.

So watch this space people as this WILL be happening in the next 2-3 weeks, but i'll be getting shots of engine removal from both cars, rebuilding the engine, and fitting it all back together so should be a nice story from start to finish :)

Couple more hehe. Will be swapping the Mk1 half red leather interior out for my Mk2 Monaco interior aswell as the steering wheel. Also will be swapping the wheels as mentioned as I don't like the multi spokes on the mk2...

ZS%20Turbo%206_zps1dlra2or.jpg

ZS%20Turbo%205_zpst1zae4c4.jpg

ZS20Turbo202_zpsijyyt5xj.jpg

ZS%20Turbo%204_zpskghzkcpw.jpg

Sorted a pic of it with the proper mk2 11 spokes. These sell for mega money for some reason lol. Just needs the Stuke spats and my custom mud flaps putting pack on. Looks a bit naked compared to my 180 lol. Also going to do the front splitter fins on the wings and rear bumper spat again but going to paint them gloss black rather than carbon wrap them this time. But thinking I may go gun metal grey with the wheels as that colour really suits the dark red paint work....

ZS%20Turbo%207_zps77qlldol.jpg

Just finishing playing with the first test colour for my 11's and I'm hooked lol. Picked up what I thought was BMW Graphite Grey, but turned out to be "Sparkling" BMW Graphite Grey, so has a very very fine rainbow flake which up close looks amazing. So using a variety pack of sand paper, 1 x can of grey primer, 1 x small can of graphite grey and 1 x large can of laquor.

Came out stunning and definitely doing all 4 ready for the new motor at the weekend. Had 3 coats of primer,sanding between each one, 3 coats of paint and 4 coats of liquor :)

So had to refurb the outer edges a fair bit but pretty much there now and for a tester, i'm well chuffed.

Was only a practice run but what do you reckon peeps?

20150318_145317_zpspcdvqtep.jpg

20150318_145358_zpsevuqcqmq.jpg
]

20150318_145411_zpsjpgtmqlf.jpg

20150318_150559_zpsbjfbp1rk.jpg

20150318_150608_zpsbvatsruq.jpg

20150318_151755_zpscgflohxb.jpg

20150318_151743_zps16aanhy5.jpg

Will look mint when they go on the new one :) But fitted back on the 180 for now and looks evil Gonna crack on and get more of the same paint tomorrow morning and get the other 3 ready ;)

20150318_162213_zps17zriznw.jpg

Last edited:
Yup, T16 bud ;)

Working on the second wheel now. Needed a fair bit of tidying up to be fair. But getting there lol.

After kerbing my wheel a couple of weeks ago and watching an expert do the repairs, I must say that it was fascinating to watch the procedure, the end result was marvellous.

Wheels are done and ready for the Turbo :) New wheel badges ordered aswell :) Going to start removing the interior ready to swap over plus a few other bits. But why I didn't do this sooner with the wheels i'll never know. Looks evil now lol...

20150319_144007_zps08dq5r4m.jpg

20150319_144020_zpsttsfevsr.jpg

Cheers mate. Definitely the best set I've done. But then again, I've always gone satin black and then laquer over the top. This time I've gone for a proper metallic car paint. It was hard to choose just from looking at the colour sticker on the caps lol. But as the first wheel was a tester, I was prepared I may be spraying several colours before getting the right one, and Bingo! first attempt was a success :)

Pick the turbo up Monday evening and will be rocking and rolling from tuesday once I've put the bits in from the 180. So Tuesday afternoon should be the first proper ride out :)

Slowed a little for the past couple of days other than the wheels, as the misses bought me a PS4 for my birthday lol :)

I bet you've got a "modify your car simulator" on that and you've been trying out the various options virtually!

I really like what you've done with the wheels.

Neh mate, roll on tomorrow (Monday) lol. Had a listen to it last night with the new 3 inch from turbo back system. Sounded gorgeous :) At least can start enjoying it tomorrow lol. Tuesday will just be playing day :)

Hehe, I was waiting for the inpatient ones lol. Just doing a few bits then I will be posting pics galore ;) She looked a bit naked when she arrived and need to swap the wheel bearing which is getting sorted.

Right then. Thanks for bearing with me. I know how patient you have been ;) Better than me anyway, pulling my bloody hair out this last week as a couple of issues came about. Not with the car but other things got in the way etc etc etc.

Now, pain in the back side as the weather is crap here at the mo. Only managed to swap one of the wheel so far but I can tease you with a shot or. I'll be out side getting more and updating everything hopefully this evening, if not, tomorrow ;)

But here she is guys. Seriously happy with it. Just has a little niggle of been a bit jerky when feathering the accelerator below 2500rpms. Gently accelerate and shes fine, so going to check for usual boost leaks etc, when there a chance of not getting drenched lol.

Just got to fit the fogs and grill back in and the front will look alot better. I was thinking of a very light dusting of satin black on the face of the intercooler as to keep cooling effect but also stop it being so in your face. Few little niggles here and there but overall pretty damn good I reckon :) ...

20150330_130355_zpsgxhkxmjm.jpg

20150330_130343_zpsysstgnxu.jpg

Well first things first, as you can't drive a decent car that's grubby lol. Yesterdays pics were after a basic wash so I could show you a couple of shots. But after spending over 4 hours on it this morning. I think she deserves another showing lol.

You couldn't see in the pics yesterday but she was actually riddled with swirl marks and hologramming which you will see in the first pic which shows one of the panels half way through. But shes come up stunning...

20150331_103906_zpski4ktegf.jpg

20150331_113818_zpsq0npkkvc.jpg

20150331_113834_zpsn2vy6jp1.jpg

Well bit of an update. From it running and shaking like sh***ing dog, needed to investigate. Was a strange one to say the least as it ran fine just kangarood like a goodn below 2500rpms and was not easy to controle without riding the clutch which was not good. So after a bit of research, i found a number of things it could be. Couple of which worried me lol. But to cut a ling story short, it turned out to be a faulty throttle positon sensor. Running absolutely perfect now hehe.

Wow, what a mad week! Had to the car to play and also started up my new venture all legit. Quite exciting lol.

Still managed to squeeze a bit of time in to "Coco" (the turbo) and quite pleased really for how little time I've had. Just in the bit of time I've had this week it's had...

- New Dizzy.
- New intercooler.
- Full service.
- New sensors.
- New alternator.
- New battery.
- Refurbed wheels fitted along with new badges.
- New front pads fitted.
- Plus 2 full on cleaning sessions lol

As previously mentioned she had a bit of running problem and wouldn't accelerate gently below 2500rpms. There was a number of things it could have been but started looking for air leeks on the boost pipes etc, checking the actuator. In the end, all it was, was the throttle position sensor was drenched in oil from one of those stupid breather filters attached straight to the block. So that gone and have run a pipe to a catch tank at the back of the engine and cleaned and replaced the senor and connections. You can see why the breather filter was causing a problem from looking at the pipe I've fitted in it's place...

20150404_141701_zpsu3p26gtt.jpg

Next on the cards was to sort the intercooler out so have a nice big Evo FMIC now hehe...

aaaa_zpsraehygo4.jpg

The stupid black rear lights are now gone and replaced with standard ones. Looks a lot tidier...

20150401_130851_zpsxgoobxix.jpg

The interior was going to be swapped for the Mk2 interior out of my ZS180 but after looking at the half red leather in the flesh, it really grew on me. It's no where near as bright red as photos show, it's actually quite a close match of dark red to the car. So that stayed. Also has the black ash dash which I've never seen in the flesh before, so that stayed aswell lol...

20150404_141555_zpsq3blfy0f.jpg

General bit of tidying up here and there, damn good service etc and shes running like a dream. Damn fast aswell lol. Already annihilated a 280bhp Scooby lol. But next one the list is to remove the air con system, change the aux belt to suit and move the air filter and fit a cold feed. I don't like the air filter bolted straight to the turbo. Doesn't affect the engine much, but then again I haven't got her red hot yet lol. Got a standard mesh lower grill on the way and a pair of fogs aswell. But looking pretty good :) ...

20150404_141614_zpsnmpxcnd5.jpg

20150404_141641_zpsajrefyaz.jpg

20150404_141758_zpssit7trui.jpg

Loads more pics as soon as retrieve my memory card from the unit ;) Will try and get a vid at some point aswell .

Last edited:
Not sure yet bud. Depends on how busy I am with the business tbh. Also it's a hell of journey from down here lol.

I only see one problem. You put the steering wheel on the wrong side. Go ahead and put over on the left where it belongs. It's called the "driver's side" for a reason! :p

Well that's the headlights sorted. Gutted that the lights are still R45 with the grey surround. So looks like a set of MG black surrounds are in order. Still, considering what they were like, they came up rather well.

They had fly eye netting at somepoint which was taken off and has left the headlights in a right mess. You will see what I mena from the before shots. Had to use wet and dry, then the Megs headlight resto kit, followed by a machine buff as they were really bad....

20150409_122316_zpslhxlsapw.jpg

20150409_122306_zpsc5rxq6qq.jpg

20150409_122329_zpsooux8fze.jpg

20150409_122335_zpswf4sglwi.jpg

2015-04-09%2013.05.44_zpsg9lgy9fo.jpg

2015-04-09%2013.07.09_zpsdbyw7d7z.jpg

They were messy! Just shows what happens when that stuff is left on for too long. Never realised the 45 had grey interior surrounds, never seen that many facelifted 45s tbh.

Right then. Pretty much got all the body work sorted now. Decided to strip off half the body kit as start again. Few bits resprayed such as rear bumper and a couple of wide arch pieces. Just one piece left to sort on the drivers side. Headlights now restored. Toyosport catch tank fitted. Wheels have had there cut back and polish now the paint has set properly. Whole car has had it's second cut and have gone nuts and taken it right back so there are no longer any swirls, scratches etc. Even managed to get rid of nearly every stone chip aswell (I love owning a valeting business lol) But shes looking stunning now...

stunning%201_zpspiqdfctm.jpg

stunning%202_zps4xxvxyvx.jpg

Stunning%204_zpsqtrfmiic.jpg

stunning%203_zps1kibowkn.jpg

booty%201_zps3hzf5hcf.jpg

booty%202_zpshov2uldx.jpg

20150414_142454_zpsky3fgjqa.jpg

stunning%205_zpshawwxwv7.jpg

20150414_190631_zps0bwocc0k.jpg

Last edited: