Oh god, i've gone and done it!!!!...

Well looks like the cammed V6 idea is going out of the window. I can't justify the amount of money needed to get anything decent out of them. Not as tunable as other V6 I've had in the past so I'm afraid it has to go....

...to be replaced by a 250bhp T16 engine with front mounted intercooler, all pipework and ancillaries, custom loom, garrett t25 with a t28 very soon after, uprated drive shafts and modified mountings.

I will be using Rover 420 T16 none turbo engine stabilizers and fitting them to the ZS subframes rather than using the Rover Coupe ones which aren't as strong, and don't want to mess with the handling of the ZS by using crapper parts.

The conversion is coming out of an MG ZR so half the conversion is already done, just need to modify a couple of things to get it snug in the ZS.

Suspension and brakes dont have to be touched as I'm starting with the V6 model and the weight of the T16 is almost identical to the KV6 engine, then a set of dimpled and grooved disks and mintex pads will be fitted.

I have the option of buying some goodies for it that were never fitted such as uprated rods and pistons, T28 turbo, even larger front mounted intercooler plus a few other bits.

One of the things with the MEMS ecu is that it can't be retuned or mapped etc, so there for it has to be mechanical tuning. but it can go up to a max of 14.7 psi, and you only need 12psi for 250bhp using the garrett t28.

So watch this space people as this WILL be happening in the next 2-3 weeks, but i'll be getting shots of engine removal from both cars, rebuilding the engine, and fitting it all back together so should be a nice story from start to finish :)

The older spec engines already have mahle pistons.
It's the chocolate headgasket that let's them down.
You want an older spec bottom end, with the newer spec head with the wasted spark ignition and a decent headgasket.
The T25 is pretty much at it's safe limit at 200bhp standard power so going over that only shortens it's life.

The T28 is a good upgrade and could see well over 250bhp, although if I remember right going over 250 bhp, will require head work and and a new ecu. Don't quote me on that though.

Icon do a race piggy back ECU for these engines or you could just go aftermarket ECU altogether.

You never cease to amaze me buddy!

The older spec engines already have mahle pistons.
It's the chocolate headgasket that let's them down.
You want an older spec bottom end, with the newer spec head with the wasted spark ignition and a decent headgasket.
The T25 is pretty much at it's safe limit at 200bhp standard power so going over that only shortens it's life.

The T28 is a good upgrade and could see well over 250bhp, although if I remember right going over 250 bhp, will require head work and and a new ecu. Don't quote me on that though.

The engine is already built to this spec buddy ;) 300bhp is also achievable without touching the ecu as it's good for 14.7 psi depending on the turbo etc. T28 will be coming of the same guys S15 Silvia and only need to reclock the turbo to face the right way and it bolts straight on and that will be about 3-4 months time.

My biggest thing at the moment is trying to find everything I need from the MG ZR for my ZS. Most conversions come from either the 220 coupe, 420ti, 620ti or the 800 Vitesse and usually needs all sorts from different cars, but I'm srtaing with the conversion already done, I'm just simply going from a smaller car to a bigger one.

I've also been told that the 180 V6 PG1 gearbox is the only one that will mate to the Coupe PG1 gearbox. If this is true, then I don't need to touch my own gearbox and driveshafts. Brakes are spot on to start with and the suspension is alreay set-up to take the weight of the T16.

Well that's the shopping list done :) Fantastic start, and all for less than what the belts and clutch was going to cost on the KV6. So as it stands this is what is ready once we finish stripping the ZR:-

- Old spec lower end with Mauhl pistons, newer spec top end T16 engine.
- Rover 620ti t16 sump for the tie rod to be attached to the ZS subframe.
- Full ZR converted T16 loom (I just need to extend for the ecu to sit right)
- T25 turbo and down pipe with 500 miles since it was rebuilt so zero play in shaft (t28 in 3-4 months)
- Evo 7 front mounted intercooler and pipe work (I need to buy a couple of longer straights due to the size difference of the ZS)
- Magnacor leads
- Carbon sealed air filter
- Lightened flywheel
- uprated clutch
- unlocked MEMS ecu.
- Rover 420 Derv drive shafts
- Poly bushed engine and gearbox chassis leg mounts.
- Rover 420 bubble, none turbo, poly engine stabilizers.

All in all I think it's pretty much ready to do the swap. I'm trying to find the extra cash to be able to afford the quaiffe diff aswell as it's attached to a steel cage bearing converted gear box. But as I now know my gearbox is up for the job and will mate to the T16 (providing I use the 420 derv drive shafts and engine stabilizers) I feel a bit happier knowing I can do the conversion without having to buy a different gear box.

So I reckon if starting early and having the T16 already on the bench, I can't see the conversion taking more than a day, 2 tops :)

The early PG1 boxes are useless unless you have the steel caged bearings fitted. So will be happy with the 180 PG1. I'm making sure I have everything I need first as I need the ZS on the road asap. Funnily enough though, the hardest bit is trying to find someone who can lend me a engine crane, and so apart from removing the block from the ZR, I'm pretty much ready to go :)

could you hire one for a couple of days badg ?
or perhaps see a garage and borrow one of theirs with a small deposit over a weekend when they are closed ?

Yeh I have thought about renting one for 72 hours, or even less as I can return it once the new block is in place.

Sadly you a tad too far. We have an engine crane, (hoist) in my parents garage.

Rent one buddy. I don't think they are that dear actually. So so so glad we had it when we built the Landy. Made life so simple. |B

I had to rent one cause only 2 of the 3 boxes turned up of the one I bought. The seller was good and refunded £50. So I hired one it cost £40 for the weekend and £100 refundable deposit. I found the crane for hire on ebay;)

Got one sorted ;) Well I thought being as the weather is sooooo stunning down this way at the moment I thought I'd give the old girl a full treatment. Took me about 6 hours of various coats etc but came up like new...

20150208_163534_zpse72e7f3c.jpg

20150208_163621_zps0ab0e84a.jpg

20150208_162009_zpsa7bba947.jpg

The older T16 engine shared the same pistons and conrods as the O series engine I think! Just make sure the engine doesn't leak oil as that what kills T16s. Well, when I say leak oil, I mean sweating power! :lol:

I always wanted a T16'd Zed, easily smash Subaru's and there is a video on YouTube of a mk1 with 300bhp beating a Evo 6 dragging. Very entertaining!

I love the T16 engine. Purely for the fact it's probably the cheapest 200bhp that money can buy. |B

For pure pace and cornering capabilities. A scoob would win hands down.
Even the bog standard 2000 turbo scoob would eat a T16 with the same sort of mods.

The T16 actually has more outright pace than the Ford Cosworth engine. ;)

The T16 is awesome for cheap standard out the box bhp. But going beyond that can be costly.

But at the end of the day trial and error is how modding goes.
Some things work for one person, yet the same won't work for someone else with the same car.

Modding a car can be a game of hit and miss sometimes. And sometimes a nightmare come to think of it. :)

The headgaksets are one of the things people say is like chocolate for problems. However, this engine has been perfeclty skimmed and a multi layer headgasket has been installed. So should never have the dreaded "oil Seeping" as money has been spent where it needs to be. Other than this leak (back left corner where it happens) They are pretty much bullet proof really, Just the original cars they were installed in weren't up to standards.

As far as cheap power with almost limitless gains to be had would the early Saab B204 engine. Can take 400bhp on standard internals ;)

A standard ZS180 can keep up with a standard uk Scooby on the roads most days of the week. I know as I play with them all the time and put the wind up em lol. But a 250bhp T16 ZS would eat a lot of cars. The saloon is only 1 and a quarter tonne at its heaviest and does 0-60 in just off 7 seconds which isn't bad at all for the size of car and how little power they have. A 200bhp V6 goes it in about 6.7-6.8 seconds.

So considering a standard 200bhp T16 ZS will walk all over a 200bhp KV6 ZS, a 250bhp should be most entertaining.

Probably the wise route for getting decent figures for a great chassis. Plenty of scope in that engine, I know someone who has a very trick mk1 with some nice touches, not sure of the final figures but 400+ was mentioned and it's also running nitrous. It isn't a cheap build and it probably stands him at around £18k. You can't fault the effort and detail put into it though.

I'm going to be aiming for a nice 250bhp using the Garrett T28 from the Silvia S15 once it's been reclocked to fit my layout. Which I think will be a perfect amount of power for a ZS. However, if she feels too lively, I can always fit the T25 back on and go for around 220-230bhp.

You change turbos like people change wiper blades! Or probably more frequently! ;)

I can't wait to see this project build finishing, you should have a stunning car at the end!

Right then, bit of an update and also major developments have happened. I'm no longer buying (due to seller messing me around) the previously mentioned T16 engine. It's now gone 1 step further lol. Bought and paid deposit for a different engine, but this one comes with a free car lmao!!! and is running roughly 270+bhp with much room for more ;)

The spec to say the least is outstanding and has everything you would require for BIG ponies!

So I'm going to be really annoying and tease you with 2 pics. One is of the actual engine in the actual car. The 2nd pic will give you a hint as to whats inside hehe. I'm not showing you anymore yet due to how special this is to me but put it this way, you wont be disappointed ;)

ZS%20Turbo%20engine_zpst0wmhojm.jpg

forge-logo.jpg

Oh man another Bad63r teaser trailer! I can't wait, I wish you all the best with this one buddy.

Well, to tell you a little more, here whats been fitted thus far...

Fully reconditioned engine, with forge internals. Kent cams. PG1 steel cage bearing gearbox and quaiff diff. Fast Road clutch. Front mounted intercooler. Custom loom and unlocked ecu. Manual boost controller. MG ZS diesel drive shafts. Full custom 3 inch exhaust from turbo back. Other bits aswell but the list is huge. I'll provide the full spec and pics when it's all sorted but aiming for 2 weeks. :)

Not quite bud. Different engine, yes with fully forged internals but running the t25 for the mo running at 14.3 psi (14.7 is the max for the t25 and the MEMS ecu). Will have a t28 fitted shortly if I want to go over 300bhp. But going to see what the power is like to start with. I may end up just fitting a t28 for safer running and keep it at the same psi. I'd like this engine to last a good time. Hence it being done properly from the get go :)

It's killing me not showing you guys the actual full thing lol. It's not what you would expect hehe

Oh buggar it lol!!!

I know you will want to see this. I couldn't hold it in any longer lol

Few bits to finish the project such as to swap the Team Dynamic wheels for the standard Mk2 wheels (look infinitely better) Swap the rear arms for the ZS180 ones. Full rear disk conversion. Thicker rear antiroll bars front and back. Swap the steering rack over to a 180 version. Front and back, upper and lower strut braces. Swap the interior to the Mk2 Monaco's. Swap steering wheel. Fit the grills from my 180.

Then she is pretty much finished. You will now understand when I said "different engine but this comes with a free car" lol. The conversion isn't going ahead with my 180 anymore due to needing to spend some money on it to get her up to scratch before the new engine went in. So have gone down the route of buying one already converted and also having proper money spent where it's needed.

To start of with the car was originally a Rover 45 saloon and had the full 180 kit and suspension fitted. I will be finishing the project off using the listed parts above and also having the T28 fitted and probably a few other things. So as I couldn't hold my excitement any longer, here is the beat in question...

ZS20Turbo_zpssvunwaup.jpg

I await the comments and slatings lol ;)