Offside rear coil gone

Springs

• Better safe than sorry! Do it in pairs.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Ignore the scaremongers! As they go!

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

wolfmankurd

Track Warrior
Car
Renault Clio 1.2
What do you guys think, replace in pair or as they snap?

My offside rear coil has snapped and I'm going to repair it on it's own. Do you guys think it'll be a bad idea?

I don't intend to hold on to the car for very long so my plan was just do this side and see how it goes (no discount for doing both compared to on it's own).

If you were keeping the car then I would do both. Not entirely sure about selling a car with something you're aware of that could be dangerous. If it goes to trade then it's up to the trade but as a private sale I think I'd worry a bit. That's just me though. There's no reason for the failure of one coil to precipitate or indicate the impending failure of another.

If you were keeping the car then I would do both. Not entirely sure about selling a car with something you're aware of that could be dangerous. If it goes to trade then it's up to the trade but as a private sale I think I'd worry a bit. That's just me though. There's no reason for the failure of one coil to precipitate or indicate the impending failure of another.

Still they'd have the MOT advisory pointing out that it was corroded (on replaced side only) and any visible sign of impending fault would be picked up at service.

Although, expecting someone to get a service regularly or at least check it themselves is getting to be a rarity. When I was a kid residential areas were littered with spark plugs, fuses and blown bulbs. Now-a-days chances are joe public don't even know what they are or look like.

Still they'd have the MOT advisory pointing out that it was corroded (on replaced side only) and any visible sign of impending fault would be picked up at service.

Although, expecting someone to get a service regularly or at least check it themselves is getting to be a rarity. When I was a kid residential areas were littered with spark plugs, fuses and blown bulbs. Now-a-days chances are joe public don't even know what they are or look like.

There is that too. And I agree with you. You (and I) cannot fix other people's clinical braindeadness. Well said mate!! If I buy a used car I give it a good going over.

On a road car, if it sits level after changing one spring then there is no point in changing the other one.

I was always taught to replace both springs and tbh I fell lucky. Cause after changing the snapped spring. I went to the other side and started to disassemble the suspension I realised that side had snapped too but lower down in the rubber seat. It was not visible and didn't affect the ride. But who knows what issues it could have caused down the line?

For me personally I'd change both. But I will bow down to Steve's superior knowledge and if he says changing one is fine then believe him he knows what he's doing!

For me personally I'd change both. But I will bow down to Steve's superior knowledge and if he says changing one is fine then believe him he knows what he's doing!

Whoa there :)

I would always change a pair on a performance car, but replacing a standard spring with an OEM spring on a stock car is, IMO, not a problem as long as the old spring is in a visibly good condition. Stock springs should not sag as they are made properly. However, if there is a height difference then the other spring will need replacing.

The springs aren't the important part of the suspension, that role is undertaken by the dampers which should always be replaced as a pair, again IMO.

I would always change both on any car. A brand new spring ride will not be the same as an old one and in any case the chances are if one has gone the other wont be far behind.

That's kind of my rationale behind changing both. Then again, if one has been damaged, perhaps but hitting a large hole in the road then the other may not follow suit. Having a puncture in your front left tyre doesn't mean you're about to get punctures in the other three tyres.

Interestingly, I had a flat front offside and the drop linkage is gone on the same side. Can't be a coincidence?

What do you guys think, replace in pair or as they snap?

My offside rear coil has snapped and I'm going to repair it on it's own. Do you guys think it'll be a bad idea?

I don't intend to hold on to the car for very long so my plan was just do this side and see how it goes (no discount for doing both compared to on it's own).
There are a couple issues to deal with here. 1 financial, money is always tight, and parts are always expensive. So is labour, unless you can do it yourself.
2. Safety, which really should be at number one, at all times, this should be our priority. Shouldn't it?
So I guess your dilemma comes down to morals in this case, because you don't intend to keep the car. Yes?
OK, so if we were keeping the car we would splash the extra, no matter how difficult because we know it is the right thing to do. From the point of absolute safety, best practice etc. Etc. But you intend to sell the car on..... Ahhh... But the right thing to do is to ensure the safety of the new owner and his or her family too.... Yes? So, I rest my case. Unless you can live with the moral dilemma, you fit a pair of springs. If you do it for yourself and family, why not the new keeper and their family. What's a life worth? Fifty or sixty quid? I dunno..... But I would always do them in matched pairs, and depending on the mileage, I always do shockers at the same time.... But that's just me.....at least your conscience is clear.