Offputting phrases in car ads

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Reading through some car ads I realise that a lot of people are putting potential buyers off.

Example:
"Reason for sale, can't afford to run the car due to job cuts".
This is saying to me "I've not looked after or properly serviced the car in ages because I'm broke and there is a big bill looming" or "The car is very expensive to run".

Can you think of other phrases that would put you off buying a car?

"First to see will buy" always narks me.

"A very clean example." We've painted over the worst bits, cleaned the carpets, polished the dash with WD40 & steam cleaned the engine.

"Lovely clean engine", a jet down with a high pressure hose does not mean the car is mechanically sound!

Lady owner! Come on is this really a selling point? It's had the clutch ridden all the time and the alloys will have been kerbed on every edge and it will have loads of parking scrapes on the bumpers. (Ok so perhaps that's a little sexist but why should a lady owner mean a car is worth more or is in better condition, you get bad and good lady owners just as you do with men!)

"Only serious offers"

-Bug off man! It means if i don't like that car I'm not an serious buyer? You don't want to talk with people unless they sign the buy even before they see the vehicle?

"Only serious offers"

-Bug off man! It means if i don't like that car I'm not an serious buyer? You don't want to talk with people unless they sign the buy even before they see the vehicle?

You seem not have to have dealt with Nigerians then. Most of them come up with insultingly low offers.

You seem not have to have dealt with Nigerians then. Most of them come up with insultingly low offers.

No...never have dealt with Nigerians...but have dealt with Gypsys here. Man, they are born for price negotiation! Hahaha
Just to mention, here where I live, Gypsys are driving Q7's, A6's, series 5 and 7 and M, E or S class's. Far away from nomadic life style we often presume about those people. (i know it's off topic, just to stop any presumtion)

the gypsy family over the road from me have a vehicle for all occasions and I do mean all!!!
Between the family there must be 20+ vehicles

OOOOOO! Got another one! Putting cars mileage of 150 miles in the ad when they mean 150,000 just so the advert will appear in your 'cars below 80,000 miles search'. :mad:

OOOOOO! Got another one! Putting cars mileage of 150 miles in the ad when they mean 150,000 just so the advert will appear in your 'cars below 80,000 miles search'. :mad:

To add to that... Sellers that sort of thing with the price. Put it as £1 then in the actual advert it's something stupid.

Ads without pictures annoy me...especially on places like gumtree or similar, I won't even look at an ad with no pictures, it kind of makes me think they can't really be bothered to put in the effort to sell it

Or photos taken in the dark (or in a garage) with a phone. See a lot of these on eBay. Some people just don't have a clue, which is good as it makes it easier to sell my stuff :)

Careful lady owner - Pfft yeah ok. So it's never been serviced, it's covered in car park dings, and the wheels have chunks missing from them.

Show car - A cracked fibreglass body kit and kerbed to death alloys does not make a show car. Also usually means a 1.2 engine thats been ragged to death.

Seen the same car advertised twice now with the following words:

NO TEST DRIVES WITHOUT FULL AGREED SALE PRICE IN MY HAND

THIS IS THE ONLY TIME THIS CAR WILL BE FOR SALE IF IT DOES NOT SELL HERE IT WILL BE TAXED DAY AFTER AUCTION ENDS AND MRS WILL KEEP IT

I might consider giving someone a deposit for a test drive if the car was something special but I'd never conside giving them the whole price.

I'm guessing yer missus is keeping it then.

Wow. When another ad turns up like that maybe we should send a reply back saying:

I DON'T CARE HOW NICE YOUR CAR IS, YOU CAN SHOVE IT WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE!

rofl.gif

the "genuine reason for sale" could may well be a "genuine" reason, if the person a 3dr clio or corsa and his missus had a baby then that car no longer becomes practical lol "1st to see with buy" annoys me, also when it's full of abbreviations too like "tcs, fsh, t&t" etc. lol i'd rather buy a car with minimum gadgets with a perfect running car and body work than a car rusting to bits with a full fancy interior with all the gadgets lol

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back