Offering Fast Car chance to feature my car :-)

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
I have just sent the email below (with a couple of photos) to Fast Car, asking if they would be interested in featuring my car :) I will post up their reply (if I get one).

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dear Jules

Although it dosen't look it from the attached photos, my very long term project is nearing completion. A lot of work over the winter should see me out on the strip around Easter. The wheels in the photos are only there to hold it off the ground. Final wheels are yet to be bought.

Not your normal fare, I know, but would you be interested in a possible feature?

Plus points:

I doubt that you have featured one of these before.

All of the work is being done by me (except the engine build and extensive chassis modifications) - unusual for cars in your mag from what I can see. They seem to be mainly cheque book cars, IMO :)

As your mag is called FAST car and not ICE car, it is what you claim to be about. it has a few more mods than just a K&N induction kit and a large exhaust. 245mm and 215mm tyres will be fitted to optimum width 17" rims, not dangerously stretched (as most of the cars in the mag seem to have) as it is designed to handle as well as be pretty nippy in a straight line. The vast majority of the featured cars in your mag seem to be all fart and no #!#!#!#!.

Car Spec (Abridged version - full version runs to over 90 lines)
1967 Lotus Elan DHC
Engine - Ford Cosworth YB - 520bhp on pump fuel. 620+ on C16
Nitrous available to be fitted once all available power has been dialed in.
Traction control
Launch control
Weight - less than 650kg.
T5 Tremec TVR Speed 6 gearbox
Quaife ATB diff
Bespoke drivetrain and suspension.

Minus points:

No ICE, not even a radio (actually, this is a plus point as far as I am concerned, but you will probably have a slightly different view)
I am 56 and have no hair. I am probably older than your dad :)
I don't need to use profanities to make my point.
You can see out of the side windows
Car will be totally road legal and fully insured (with ALL mods declared)
Nothing is for show, everything is for go.
There will be no shopping list on the side of the car.

Is this of any interest to you?

Yours faithfully

Steve Broad[/FONT]

og, this is classic, they wont understand a word - you should have written in txt spk and drawn little pictures for them next to each of the items.

:lol: I wrote to MAXXchav car mag once.

Dear Maxxchav car mag,

You featured a VW Golf on page 64 with a 1.8T engine conversion and I'm interested in this Model.

Can you tell me the following,

What is the performance like?
Is the body all original?
Is it expensive to run?

Thanks,

Waynne

The reply I got ....

Dear Waynne,

The Model on Page 64 is Tracey Lovesit. Fwooar hoot hoot and she is a real hottie just get a load of that.

Most of her is original but she has had some minor, and two very major costmetic enhancements.

Performance wise we are told, it depends on the guy concerned.

She likes shopping and new clothes and really loves shiny things which probably makes her quite expensive to run.

I hope this answers your question, we can't give you her number but we can tell you what pub she hangs out at.

Yours sincerily.
MaxxChav car mag.

I enjoyed CCC a lot, it was actually informative and well writted. I heard that the CCC team are doing a new car mag (IIRC Practical Performance Car).

I rather read about a classic like yours than a jumped up corsa etc. Might have better luck/response from one of the classic mags like practical classics especially if it's been ressurected from the grave or saved from the crusher.

Are you going to show the car at any car events Steve?

I rather read about a classic like yours than a jumped up corsa etc. Might have better luck/response from one of the classic mags like practical classics especially if it's been ressurected from the grave or saved from the crusher.

Are you going to show the car at any car events Steve?

Maybe something like Practical Performance Car, but this would probably be more fun :)

By car events, if you mean poser shows, then no, not my scene. Next year will be a shake down and development year at Bruntingthorpe and Santa Pod. May do a few cruises in Essex. 2011 is earmrked for an attack on TOTB title.

Hoping to get to Santa Pod myself April 17 for a RWYB day with the TIPEC Porsche club.
Only mentioned PC because they do a lot of modifyed articles, they're into that, and I remember reading a few years ago an article on a company reproducing Elan cars with modifyed ford gear. Mainly Zetec engines but Cossie aswell. I can't for the life of me remember there name though so will have a good dig around in my collection, other wise it'll bug me :lol:

well its what should be in these mags other then the rubbish that is in them

i was called up the other week to do a photo shot in my for a lads mag but i had to turn it down due to being in bed with man flu and would not of made it there

would of been good to see the car covered in next to naked girls but wont be the last one

Hoping to get to Santa Pod myself April 17 for a RWYB day with the TIPEC Porsche club.
Only mentioned PC because they do a lot of modifyed articles, they're into that, and I remember reading a few years ago an article on a company reproducing Elan cars with modifyed ford gear. Mainly Zetec engines but Cossie aswell. I can't for the life of me remember there name though so will have a good dig around in my collection, other wise it'll bug me :lol:

I will be very interested to see any articles you can find on Cossies in Elans.

Good luck mate! Although I doubt Fast Car will be interested in a non-chavved up car. I think their market is little chavs that walk around with their hoods up playing music on their mobile phones as they walk around before getting into their 1.2 Corsas with huge bodykits and neons everywhere. Your Elan is quite the opposite...

Good luck mate! Although I doubt Fast Car will be interested in a non-chavved up car. I think their market is little chavs that walk around with their hoods up playing music on their mobile phones as they walk around before getting into their 1.2 Corsas with huge bodykits and neons everywhere. Your Elan is quite the opposite...

I am not expecting them to come grovellnig to my door pleading to let them feature the car :) I was really only poking a little fun at them to see what sort of response I would get.

However, if they are interested it would be a good incentive to get the car completed. I don't think that I would turn an offer down, it would be fun seeing how they would handle an old git who knows a lttle bit about engine tuning and handling. Mind you, they can always have the last laugh as they control what is printed :)

Yup, this might come back to bite you:lol:

Probably, but the car won't be offered until I have proof of its performance, rather than the norm for this mag which is 'car is capable of' or 'as soon as it's set up' or 'power is estimated to be'.

That will just leave me to make fun of, but having the p**s taken out of me is nothing new so it'll be water off a duck's back.

This is assuming, of course, that they are even interested as my email is hardly reverential to their mag :)

og, think you are probably giving them too much credit, the comments/inferences about the mag will probably just slide straight over the top of their heads or else they just wont understand them.

I just received a reply!

[FONT=Lucida Grande, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Hiya Steve,
Offend me… not a chance, everyone is entitled to an opinion and although I don’t agree with the majority of yours, some are valid :)

In interest when was the last time you picked up a copy of FC, the only reason I ask is because last month we did the Fast issue, so it was bad timing on your case. However each month we do strive to feature a variety of cars from Performance, ICE and styled.

I’ve taken a look at your car and it’s going to be narly when finished :). I’m not sure whether we will feature it or not yet, as like you said it’s a bit out of our normal diet of hot-hatches, but we can make the final decision when it’s finished. So keep in touch with pictures and up-dates. Thanks for the input on the magazine as negative feedback is sometimes more useful than positive.

Thanks again,
Jules[/FONT]

Cool! They replied, 3 months later but a reply is what you got!;)

Narly - is that good?

Apparently, according to my surfer colleague, it is an old surfing word for 'cool' but used to be spelt 'gnarly'.

In Californian speak, it means extreme, excellent or superior - I prefer these :)

Last edited:
Apparently, according to my surfer colleague, it is an old surfing word for 'cool' but used to be spelt 'gnarly'.

In Californian speak, it means extreme, excellent or superior - I prefer these :)

"Wow you iz getting down in da hood wid da Yoof speak! Banging stuff man!" - see one can also use a modern colloquial syntax when required to. Look out fast car!

The guys running the mag are journos so they know how to string a sentence together, as can be seen by the reply. I guess they have to write in a certain way in order to attract the mag's target audience.

The reply was good, so I will send a response in a couple of days (keep him waiting :) )

I would recommend you get in touch with Redline magazine, they are all about performance and tuning hence why you are unlikely to find the chavved up cars usually featured in Max Power etc.

I would recommend you get in touch with Redline magazine, they are all about performance and tuning hence why you are unlikely to find the chavved up cars usually featured in Max Power etc.

:lol::lol::lol:
When did they change then? I remember them having the same cars as Max Power but a few weeks after Max.

Dunno when they changed but i have been getting there mag for over a year and very rarely do you see chavved cars, mostly its evo's, skylines, rx7's etc

Last edited:
Agreed, Redline would be more suitable, but the car would stand out more in FC :)

Redline run the TOTB competition that I hope to enter either this or next year. On reading the rules, however, I may find it difficult to to comply with some of them, but we will see.