• Buy: not worth the time/effort/money to work on a bucket

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy: not a fan of older cars

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nichebenice

Car
93' Probe 2.0 l4
Adding to the few Ford Probe posts here. This time I'm just gonna be talking about mine and all the fun stuff I want for it. Plan to throw up some quick info on these cars since the web is a little lacking later on.

Got a 93' "SE" 2.0l l4 DOHC, manual transmission. Thing was all but abandoned when i bought it, so It's in need of lot's of love and frustrated ramblings after hours of trial and error.

So far:
- run 1,000 flush, repair, optimize, treatments through it
- replaced worn and rusty rims with some cheap mid quality rice-rims
- set of cheap tires to replace the glass-smooth bald ones
- oil+filter change, it was bad so another is needed soon
- new fuel filter
- new spark plugs
- silicone lubricant+working of stiff bearings/hinges
- new headlights
- replaced stop and signal bulbs
- topped coolant
- replaced old rotten battery conectors with some tough heavy duty ones: this seems to have fixed a few other issues i hadn't gotten to yet, guess some pumps, etc., weren't getting enough juice
- scrubbed a fair bit of the 1/2" layer of grease and grime out of the bay
- tightened some bolts, nuts, hoses, etc., that were loose
- cleaned a few sensors
- pieced together a cheap lil cold air intake

To do (mainly just thoughts):
- new gaskets, all of them
- overhaul/upgrade exhaust
- hi-flow injectors
- tires
- possible tranny rebuild
- replace CV axles
- new radiator
- fuel pump/line
- all new hoses
- replace/referb wiring and harnesses
- j-spec cams
- hub centric rings
- all wheel disk brake conversion
- ignition coil
- new glass
- oil catch can
- move battery to trunk
- cylinder head overhaul/upgrade
- new piston heads, rings, arms, etc.
- bore/refurb cylinders
- ECU remap
- update gauge cluster
- paint multiple parts in bay
- repaint exterior
- repair/replace and paint interior
- body kit?
- upgrade brake lines
- upgrade distributer
- led lights/headlights

Just a rough list of current thoughts/plans. I'm certain theres more I'm leaving some things out. Considering forced induction, but anything like that's a ways off.

Sorry everything's sort of a jumble. I'd love to hear any thoughts, suggestions, and/or constructive criticisms. Thanks.

Keep us posted, I'll be interested to see how this project develops.

Have you looked into fast road cams? They make quite a good gain on these engines.

Keep us posted, I'll be interested to see how this project develops.

Have you looked into fast road cams? They make quite a good gain on these engines.
I'll definitely try to stay up to date on it. If i can get my money right I hope to replace quite a few engine gaskets, get rid of some mild rust, and get the by pretty/protected with some paint. Thinking matt black with metalic crimson/deep violet for trim/piping.
I haven't been made aware of fast road untill now, do you happen to have a link? Also can't figure a reliable way to pull more power from 1st-4th gear, if anyone has some suggestions. 5th is an economy centered final gear, so no worth while gains to be had there.

I'll definitely try to stay up to date on it. If i can get my money right I hope to replace quite a few engine gaskets, get rid of some mild rust, and get the by pretty/protected with some paint. Thinking matt black with metalic crimson/deep violet for trim/piping.
I haven't been made aware of fast road untill now, do you happen to have a link? Also can't figure a reliable way to pull more power from 1st-4th gear, if anyone has some suggestions. 5th is an economy centered final gear, so no worth while gains to be had there.
My bad... Assumed "fast road cams" was 'Fast Road Cams'. Like a manufacturer or brand.

Yes, fast road as opposed to a motor sport cam.

There's not a lot to be had by altering gear ratios, unless the power band dramatically changes. I'd stick with simple power gains on the engine, which will translate into more power through the gears.

A 3 or 5 angle valve job seems to provide quite a bit more torque but it means taking the head off and you might as well get it ported and flowed whilst it's off.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back