Odd noise from engine Jaguar X Type diesel

skinless

Car
x type deisel sport
2.0d sport, 2005.

Suddenly last week there is strange swooshing noise, coming from the engine, every time I put my foot down. There are no warning lights showing. Its never done it before. What could it be?

What is a boost pipe and where is it located please. By the way this noise only happens when Im traveling and acelerating.

It's almost certainly a leak in the intake side of the engine. I think this is the same engine as used in the Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi of similar age so finding some help need be no more taxing than a visit to a local Ford dealer.

Is the performance and driveability similar to normal?

This should be rectified quickly as any ingress of air downstream of the air filter could cause dirt particles to be drawn into the engine.

there is a very slight power lag when acelerating.

Which does seem to fit the symptoms of which you speak.

It is possible that the leak is on the low pressure side (ie. between air filter and turbo) although it's more likely that this would manifest as an audible whistle.

In my opinion this could be easily fixed with a quick visit to a Ford dealer - the 2.0 engine is well known to them due to it's common (and very worthy) application in the Mondeo 2.0 TDCi models.

Don't think of it as a Jag with a Ford engine, think of it more that some folks are very lucky to be driving Fords with Jaguar engines.

You better placed still, you have a Jaguar with a Jaguar engine.

All said though, do get it sorted, anything with forced induction (turbo and conventional superchargers) will suffer if there are air leaks anywhere.

It also kills your MPG. Get someone to rev the engine whilst you inspect the engine bay (please make sure it's not in gear though!:lol:)