Nutters in the rain

SLEEPER

Pro Tuner
Ive been driving a lot on the motorways today. I think there must have beem a nutters convention somewhere because they were cetainly all out today

Just a few of the exploits I witnessed and honestly NO exaggerations and bear in mind It was pouring with rain

So............................

A row of cars travelling in the second of 4 lanes at 55 mph with everyone no more than three car lenghts apart

A land rover discovery suddenly swerving from the inside lane to outside in about 50 yards without indicating just as I was about tp overtake him

Now Im not known for driving slowly but I thought 60-65 mph was as fast as I felt safe and thats as long as there was a good gap in front
But I was constantly being overtaken by cars going at least 80-90mph in the outside lane .And some of them were small hatchbacks including a fifteen year old fiesta which must have been flat out.

And the winner ..............on the M20 - the driver of a huge new mercedes coach going down the outside lane of 4 overtaking everything going at least 85mph in torrential rain and he was less than one coach lenght behind the car in front.

Rant over :toung:

Last edited:
You don't have to take an IQ or common sense test, unfortunately, before you are allowed on to the highway network.

Sadly I can but agree with all of your comments.
If you ever emigrate to OZ you will be feel right at home as they seem to drive faster and closer in the wet here.
Running red lights and tailgating would almost seem to be part of the license test as I see many green & red P platers doing this along with the more experienced ???drivers.

I see this sort of thing all the time. People are so comfortable in their cars they seem to forget that it's raining hard and the cars grip is substantially impaired!

I always say you can spot an experienced driver a mile off when it's raining hard or in adverse weather conditions. ;)

At Driver training we would tell the participants that grip was reduced as much as 60% in the wet.

Cheap tyres make things worse still. My neighbour managed to stick his Rover 75 in a ditch yesterday evening on a wet bend that I'd happily take at 50 ish in my own car.

No loss though, it's only a Rover lol :D

a possible new winner although it was raining it wasnt rain related

So I am driving down a single width lane/track with the occassional passing place I met a tractor cutting the hedges in the rain
No problem except that he was driving towards me BACKWARDS looking at the hedges he was cutting .

Cheap tyres make things worse still. My neighbour managed to stick his Rover 75 in a ditch yesterday evening on a wet bend that I'd happily take at 50 ish in my own car.

Hope the neighbours injuries were limited to his wallet.
Am amazed that some of the general driving public have little understanding about tyres and buy brands that seem to be made from leftovers in some 3rd world country where they copy known brand tyre companies designs but don't get the chemical wear/grip formula right.
Sadly like most things in life you generally get what you pay for.

Last edited:
I'd like to say I'm a careful, observant and courteous driver and do adjust my driving to the weather/road conditions etc.

Just on the flip side of this however, people that cannot drive in a little rain annoy the hell out of me. People that pootle around (generally off the motorways) because it's raining a bit and so drive 20-30mph no matter what the speed limit. It's rain! Not a hail of meteors! Just rain!

Also people that stop to make a turn, it's a corner, not a dragon, but that's a whole different kettle of fish. lol

If it's a write off and a diesel if you don't mind ask if it's got a fuel burning heater I'm after 1 atm;)

I'd like to say I'm a careful, observant and courteous driver and do adjust my driving to the weather/road conditions etc.

Just on the flip side of this however, people that cannot drive in a little rain annoy the hell out of me. People that pootle around (generally off the motorways) because it's raining a bit and so drive 20-30mph no matter what the speed limit. It's rain! Not a hail of meteors! Just rain!

Also people that stop to make a turn, it's a corner, not a dragon, but that's a whole different kettle of fish. lol

We have some of them over here that do that when it's a bright sunny day:(
Had a muppet take off at the lights in front of me and drive on the wrong side of a traffic island. Wonder how some get a licence:confused:

He and passengers were all fine. This is testimony to how poor the tyres are - he left the road despite driving at very low speed.

Nope it's a 2.0 V6 petrol one.