Number Plate Rules

96AccordCoupe

Road Burner
Car
1996 Accord Coupe
Ok, so where I work I tend to deal with characters from various backgrounds, all of which are involved with a crime of some sort :O

So needless to say they usually have first hand info on the laws our fair country enforces.

Something I heard a little while ago, which procrastination has prevented me from googling, is that drivers can now get points for having number plates that are not exactly as the requirements state.

Is this the case?

I know standard plates are necessary for MOT, but being pulled and getting points is a tad concerning. Not for me yet, but in the future I will be getting a smaller front plate.

Anyone care to shed any light on this for me?

as far as im aware the only legal requirements are that the font and font spacing has to be correct and there has to be an 11mm border of plate/backing around the letters, depending on the reg ie private/less characters than standard i suppose you could have the background smaller but still keep 11mm round the letters (if you know what i mean)

we make the vinyl stick on number plates, fully legal reflective vinyl standard font and spacing so all above board, have one on the scoob and up to now have had 2 spot checks (not for doing anything wrong) both times the plate has been checked and was ok.

just to be safe though your best off having a standard size plate in the boot with sticky back plastic on the back, that way if you do get stopped by an over enthusiastic coppa you can stick it over the top straight away and they cant do a thing.

on the 200sx there was a small plate (but a standard one in the boot) got pulled and got ''if you can change it b4 i write you a ticket i will let you off'' stuck standard one over the top and that was that. :)

Last edited:
OK - fair enough. It's possible that the police are playing fair and not getting overly prescrptive with this. If the plate looks correct, proper typeface, size spacing etc. then they'd have to be really pedantic to pull you up on a BS marking alone

2fast, could you drop me a PM with details on prices and things, or a website I can look at. My front bumper would look so much better without that horrible plastic plate.