Number plate question.

Loz

Torque King
Car
MX-5
Just wondering if anyone know the law for grouping letters on a number plate.

I've been reading the DLVA section on the directgov site regarding the rules for number plates but I can't find a answer on grouping letters. It says any plate made after 1 September 2001 must show the letters in two groups with a 33mm gap between the two groups. But I can't find any rules on how these groups must be arranged.

On my Logbook my number reads, M* ***

But could I have, M** ** ?

I've tried emailing the DVLA but their webform is missing the field to write anything!

Cheers Claymore. :)

Oh well no biggy that's what I suspected, but I can't find that in writing. Got the DVLA email to work now so maybe that can show me the necessary paragraph.

it is quite straightforward

Number plates read in alternate groups of letters and numbers .

a group is one or more letters/numbers that have to run together - you cant split them into two groups it has to be all the numbers or letters in that one group . ( you cant have ab c it has to be abc) .
This applies to 1 , 2 ,3 or 4 or however many consecutive numbers or letters there are.

These numbers or letters in each group have a small gap inbetween them with the groups seperated by a larger gap .

Nothing else is allowed

for example my plate n 15 aut 3 groups n - 15 - aut no other option is possible

That of course if you want to be 100% legal

Then of course there is the size of the number plate and the style of the digits.......................

Reactions: Loz
I can't help wondering why the DVLA do not adopt the American approach to creating number plates. I am sure this would go down a lot better with British vehicle owners plus it would be much more lucrative for the DVLA :blink:

I think you will find that is exactly why we dont use the american system T9

At the moment dvla has total control over all numbers so can hold back any and all that they want and even resurrect any old ones that become worth something.
This means you cant get one without paying the pre determined dvla value and they are pretty on the ball about this.

Using the US method they could only charge a flat fee regardless of how nice a plate it was.

Plus of course they think we sell more new cars becuase of the status of new number plates

There is so much work and hassle required for getting F3T A33 on my vehichle... :lol:

So you see all these wealthy folk, with the likes of Chr15 ( Chris ) and that sort of thing on there number plate... Is that legal?

As long as the numbers and letters read a word or whatever then its fine

Except that the spacing has to be as in my last post ....small equal spacing inbetween all the numbers and letters and larger space between those groups

And of course every number and letter has to be in the proper font and cant be altered.

So a 5 cant be changed to look like an S so it should be CHR 1 S

Finally found the official statement for anyone who's interested;

It is an offence to alter, rearrange or misrepresent letters or numbers in order to form names or words or in such a way that
makes it difficult to read the registration number. Characters must not be moved from one block to the other e.g. AB51 DVL
must not be displayed as AB5 1DVL or AB 51DVL. Vehicles with illegally displayed number plates may FAIL the MoT
test. The police can also issue fixed penalty fines for illegally displayed number plates. Offenders are liable to a MAXIMUM
FINE of £1,000 and in some cases the mark may be withdrawn.
For vehicles with new or replacement number plates fitted after 31.8.2001, “3-line” number plates are no longer permitted.

Taken from: http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/forms/~/media/pdf/leaflets/V796.ashx

Pretty much saying what Sleeper had confirmed earlier. :)