Now then; my 405 TD needs you!

kingjonny

Car
406 (Est) HDI 2.0
Reet lads n ladies

I've had this car for a while now, and I fancy keepin it. I've begun resprayin it me self and after I'm through it'll look mint. But, it's got dents all over, so, I wanna know if there are any panels I can replace with fibre or plastic I can get premade for weight loss.

The suspension (or maybe drive shaft) is bust after some git joyrided into me full locked f/n/s, so I could do with switchin it for some nice new suspension. It's got intercooler so I'm thinking front strut brace is outta question without shiftin stuff about internally, but what can you guys suggest. I'm a novice, so go easy on me!

I'll go into engine tuning later, but you tell me it's hopeless with an old TD (which I suspect mine is, 1.9 '94 top line with AC n all the rest of the jazz). What I have got which I'm not convinced about, but seems to smooth the ride, is a magnet on the fuel line to rearrange the fuel so it burns quicker. Anyone know if it actually does work?

Cheers if you reply to this, and if you pass a 405 playin metal with the BCFC logo lowlighted on the roof, that'll be me! :bigsmile:

hey an welcome johnney
take the magnet of its not doing anything - it supposidly does work but you need a magnet the size of the car :lol:
im guessing the intercooler is top mounted when you said you can fit a strut brace ?
Old git and Mr B might e the guys to talk to about fiberglass.
doubt the engine will be up to much but that can be easily swapped for a newer powerful one ;)

Never occoured to me to swap the engine...to be honest I get about 70mpg out of him with acceptable performance for my needs.
It's the handling I'd prefer to concentrate on. Every wheel shop I go to says I'll need some arch work if I want lower profiles, but the turning circle's well rubbish, so is this something they addressed in manufacture limiting it's turn? What companies do spec suspension kits that'd fit?

Also, brake kits n steering racks?
Gear boxes n clutch? The clutch is pretty new, so guess I'd keep it with the old engine for now.

By the way, feel free to tell me to stop asking too many questions!

If I chucked out the old one then, what would neatly take it's place? What's the diesel scooby like?

Finally, and probably most importantly, is my car a bit of a lost cause because they only designed spec parts for the M16?!

Cheers for chattin bro!

dont worry about asking too many questions thats what the forums about, Hdi, our diesel expert,and jarus454 , knows his stuff with the 1.9 idi diesel engine, these might be the best to people to get intouch with.

regards engine the scooy engine would be might not be the easiest to swap to best stick to the same manufacturer, id sy ether the 2.2 diesel (thisis the one hdi has in his 406 ) or the newer 2.0 Hdi with 136 bhp with a remap you should be looking at around 180bhp and enough torque to keep up with things along the lines of 3 ltr petrols in the mid range.
brake kits shouldnt be too hard to do- id be suprised if there was much difference to the hubs on the 405 and newer ones. so a trip to a scrappy for caliper carriers and calipers (make sure you get them reconditioned) then get some decent discs and pads, M16 engined might be a good idea, wonder if the 205 gti brakes might fit.

Not sure about the steering racks, again the sporter models might have had a more responsive rack.

suspension Auto custom enginnering is doing offers on suspension kits from blisten, might be worth getting up to 10 posts and sending him a PM. see if they have anything.

regards wheels - you should get away with going an inch bigger using lower profile tyres, arch work is usually only required is your going big big. ie mine had 16" as standatd and got 17" with low profiles and can get away with 19" just but if i wante 20" id need to get the arches rolled out.

MI 16 or T16 would be the better choice if money was no object but as you already have tyhe intercooler and gearbox thats designed to take a little extra torque from the turbo engine, then why not consider dropping in the 406 SRi engine. 2.0 8v Turbo ;) then you will have a good bases to take the engine further, and as it came from a 406 it will drop staright in no probs.

Hi KingJonny and a warm welcome to TorqueCars. On the engine side I think it was around 2000 they get interesting. PG has covered your other questions and has beaten me to it again, not a lot I can add really. Do get your post count up and then you can PM our knowledgable members if they miss your thread here.

Ah right mates, good replies! Thanks! I've only really time for the occassional posts, but I'm not plannin on going anywhere so it'll build over time anyway.

Do the silver scales on the left signify star sign? If so, a bunch full of Librans has got to be the best place to get a disscussion!

I'll let you know what suspension I find, but I'm messin with the idea of keeping the original rack and gearing it up in a junction box just behind the dash. It's power steerin of course, so would that mean it gettin heavier? To be honest I hope so! Light wheels just wind me up when the road's there to be felt!

Good stuff on the alloys, I'll be looking from now on then.

Engine......can I afford to lose the mileage? Maybe get a town car when I move into a house with a garage, so guess so. Not too soon though. Wait till I'm rich!

Anyone know how to fit xenons? Or maybe blue LEDs? (Car's blue)

Alright dudes, we'll converse again in a day or two.

:lol: No the silver scales are the reputation tool. If you think a post is helpful or unhelpful you can add or remove reputation points. The points show as green blobs under our post count. (It also increases with new posts, starting new threads and other positive community support activities!)

Re-gearing the steering sounds good to me. It shouldn't make it heavier if you do it right, especially if the car is rolling.

Xenons and blue LED's are not street legal. (Unless you get a proper Xenon kit which comprises a complete headlight assembly, self levelling motor and headlight washer jet.) There is a post on here about Xenons (HID) kits and why they are not legal.

See you in a few days then.;)

I've been cruising the net with a hangover to find some engine prices. Wanna stay diesel really, the 2.2 HDI came up around £600 on ebay....how much are they engines if bought brand new? It'd been handy if peugeot had an online catalogue, but thats power selling for ya. Custeomer service is doomed!

If were looking mechanic to collect n fit the engine I find.....are we talking say £500 on top? I know a close relationship'll get us prices down, but I'm doin broad scale research till I move in the summer. Still, if I get me planned windfall I could justify a little treat!

It's a different conversation I know, but the idea of uprating the car in order to sell it, can an old 405 with all new bits on it really sell for the prices they did at brand new? I think so, but me dad reckons not. Once it's started living it'll always be old. What do you guys reckon? We only really spoke because he thinks it's throwing good money at bad, n I'm just sentimentally attached. Nah, I'm semi-mentally attached!

BTW I'll go post in a few other threads when life gets easier n I've some actual advice to offer.

Prices vary a lot for engine swaps. Try and get a fixed quote before you start and ring around.

I don't think you ever get the money you spend on a car when you sell it. I had a recon engine and gearbox fitted and still didn't get enough for the car to cover the cost of the engine rebuild when I sold it.

Its probably more of a case of losing money or money being knocked off if a car is not in good condition than money being added if it is.

A good valet is the best money you can spend on a car if you are selling.

Welcome to the forum dude .... 405 are brilliant cars and there's loads of stuff you can do to them you'd be surprised what gains you can get from a simple tune up from that engine the most I've seen from the standard engine and exhaust is 130 hp 200 lbft 110 - 120 is deffinately possible as for brakes there's ones from the 406 coupe that will fit as for suspension a rear axel off the Sri or turbo would be worthwhile with eibach pro kit springs and billstien sport dampers are the best setup for crappy UK roads

There's loads more I can tell you about those diesels just depend what you want

Brett

Last edited:
Cheers man!

Xmas n new years cheers for you all by the way.

I'll be back to chat in about a week or so.

Hey guys!

Now then, if I buy the springs n dampers, will yer bog standard garage know what they're doing? Or will I have to get someone who knows how to base the adjusters (if there are any?!) if you know what I mean.

I know, my lingo doesn't quite match the standard!

Hope you dudes are happy n well.

any garage should be able to fit them for you, you might need to check the tracking afterwards.

if they have adjustable dampners its normally comes on a standard setting and just a case of screwing to adjust

Bad news dudes.

Some gyppo cant has robbed me car! It was an aestetic beast too. Guess they'll rob anything eh.

Knock on effect means I've no car to do up! Maybe I'll buy another, but I'm tending toward an A6 Quattro. :)

I'll prob let you all know on this tread though if it's to be brought to an end.

Don't really fancy that though cause Geoffrey was a well good car. Maybe I'll buy another. I dunno. Too hard to choose between the two!

Any rate guys, thanks for the time you've spent on me. I'll be back when I buy me next car and we can jabber on the best means to do that one up!

Right, well I went for a 406 HDI so I can tune her up....is Ecosse worth the while? Their product range seems mainly focused on body work.

Anyway. It's currently off the road. 8 days after payin £1500 for a very nice example, I take it to a local garage cause one nut in the O/S/F hub is sheared off, and another was stripped. They take it off, and put it back on 'better than it was before'. 100 yrds down the road it comes flying off.

Now. Showroom sold a dud car (in this one respect, the rest is very nice), but mechanic let it out in the condition that a wheel could fall off.

It seems all 3 studs were stripped, and it was almost blind luck holding the 2 good ones in firmly in the first place.

Who's liable for the damage to wing and cost of recovery? Not me I know, but if you've advice on this I'd appreciate it!!!

Was it the nut at fault and therefore down to the nut manufacturer or has it failed due to incorrect installation (too much torque or wrong spec used.) Did you get legal cover with your car insurance - if so call them for advice.

Well, all 3 stud threads were striped, but before the studs came off, 2 were fully secure, and after, they wouldn't hold. Think one of the threads in the hub was shot, but showroom are doing tourque test on all 4 hubs (by my insitance) to find out.

Get legal assistance with Union at work, so I'm cool for that. Time being though, showroom can work up the bill and who pays it after will be decided I think with honest debate.

Just don't know much on the right of conditional sale regarding second hand motors.

Talkin to showroom's boss though is almost painful he's that dense. Well, maybe it's just his salesman's approach. Answering my questions with a barely tangible waffle!

Cheers dudes!

ps, do you know of any garage which will put their advert on the back window of a car, and do work for free given that the car will be driven around high publicity areas?

Like cruising up broad street in birmingham on a saturday night to get them good advertising?

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back