Not been around for a while, here why...

Here we are then guys. This is the journey to my quick Vectra lol. This is the 2.0 16v Calibra Turbo engine for the Vectra that i bought. Well the new engine is in and just waiting for 1 part which should be here tomorrow. The engine went in no problem and turns over with ease. We just need to sort the coil as the older engine hasn't got electronic ingnition.

So here's our journey to the stage I am at, at the mo

First things first, ROAD TRIP!!!

1-2.jpg

3-2.jpg

4-2.jpg

Couple of shots of the new engine

5-2.jpg

6-2.jpg

So then it was out with the old...

7-2.jpg

Which left the poor Vectra without it's "Hamster in-a Wheel Power" lol

8-2.jpg

Now that it has been done for a couple of days, it's really starting to grow on me so I reckon it will be left white. Just need a nice polished chrome or carbon fibre oil cap.

Vectra Turbo conversion

HI Bad63r,

Im new to this forum and im after your help.

I got a vectra sri and wanting to do the same conversion you have with yours. Ive read your article about how you did yours and you seem to know what your talking about so thought you would be the man for advice.

Can i use the engine out of an astra turbo (2001) model or has it got to be the X20LET like you used? And what sort of mods did you have to do to the wireing loom?

Your Vectra is looking mint on the pictures you have posted.
Cheers mate

Hi mate.

Right first of all yes you can use the engine from an Astra Turbo (Z20LET) but you are looking at a nearly 20bhp less than the engine I have used (C20LET). If you know the differences between the 2.0ltr Red Top and the later 2.0 Eco Tec, then you will understand what i mean (25bhp difference). You can also use the VXR Turbo engine from a new shape Astra if you want ;)

Aws far as the loom goes, there was quite alot of fiddling and matching of colors, but if you can find the 24 pin plug on the Turbo loom, this is all you need to match to the Vectras loom.

So, it's alot easier than what people may first think and alsong as your Vectra SRi is aleady a 2.0. 16v, then the Turbo engine drops straight in as it's the same size block and lines up nicely with the original engine mounts.

Then you have to worry about the fact that you have to use the Vectras water bottle as the Cavalier and Calibra Turob's all had theres in the opposite side of the engine bay. Also you have to move the ECU from one side of the car to the other. Then you have to sort a power steering resovoir as the Vectra's is mounted on the front of the engine, the C20LET has a seperate tank that sits behind the battery.

But they are pretty much the onlyt tricky bits

Thanks for that info Bad63r,

Ive not realy messed with Vauxhalls that much i used to be more into Fords. I know what you mean about the difference with the Red top and the Eco techs though, It just seems to be easier to find the Echo tech and i was thinking that the Red tops are gona have done more miles. The only Red tops ive seen for sale are up for a grand.

Ive got no problems with moving Ecu's and moving resovours around ive done that sort of thing before. The 24 pin plug you mentioned, were does that hook up to then and is that the main wirein alteration? With it been a similar engine do most of the plugs just fit back on.

Will all the old gearbox be up to the job of the extra power? I once put an XR3I gearbox in a RS Turbo and it didnt last very long. Is the injection system the same aswell.

Sorry about all the questions at once i just want to make sure ive got all the parts for when (if) i do it because i use the car every day.

Thank mate.

Yes the 24 pin plug is pretty much the only major wiring bit, and then the plugs that you should get on the Turbo loom connect to the engine and it's some of those that you have to splice together with the appropriate wires on the 24 pin plug.

No the gearbox wont hold up to the extra power. You may be able to get a few miles out of it but then you will start spitting teeth through the side of the bell housing lol. You will also need to uprate the Clutch, brakes (depending what car you are using as my Vcetra already had the same size disks as a Calibra or Cavalier Turbo) drive shafts (again depending on what car you start with) uprated fuel pump as the Turbo demands alot of fuel (or you can use one from a Turbo car) and one of the main things to think about is, if you decide that you want a remap, you HAVE to run your car permanantly on Super Unleaded as it can really mess your car up if you don't, which again can add to the running costs.

But the best thing about Red Top Turbo's now, is the fact that there are hardly any that haven't been rebuilt. So the majority of Red Top Turbo engines have proberbly done less miles than most of the Eco Tec Turbo's (of course unless you get hold a 2 year old engine lol)

And as far as the price of an engine, it would be easier to try and get hold of a full car to be honest as you will pay slightly less or the same and you can sell the parts you don't need and make your engine very cheap indeed.

Thanx mate, im gona make afew calls round to try and source some parts and get some prices, Ive seen 3 engines up for sale between £800 & £1000. Cant seem to find full cars though but i guess ill have to be patient Lol.

Just done a little research for you. The Red Top Turbo goes into pretty much most Vauxhalls with ease but if you want to put a Z20LET (Eco Tec Turbo) into anything other than turbo'd car, you will most likely need a stand alone managment system which could set you back another £1500-2000 easy. I have no idea why but most of the peeps i come acroos who have done the Eco-Tec conversion have nearly all had to have a stand alone.

Well i've been busy this last week. Few more bits for the Turbo hehe. She now has a very nice F23 uprated gearbox from a Vectra 2.6 GSi and is now good for over 300+bhp hehe. Mine is the 2nd one down the line, the one that looks new.

Gearbox's.jpg

Was very lucky with this gearbox as it had only done 11,000 miles so was hardly used to be fair.

Then it was time to start thinking about replacing the clutch at the smae time so as I had the gearbox already I went for the best clutch i could get my hands on with a big pressure surface and would last alot longer than most. And this is the beast i ended up with...

newclutch.jpg

Got it all fitted over the weekend and my god does it fly now. Gonna have it out sometime in the next couple of days so i'll try and get a vid or 2 ;)

Next on the list, Front Mounted Intercooler me tinks hehe.

Cheers BAD63R

Last edited:
Hi Badger!
I can only repeat the others: you did a really nice job...
I dunno if it counts off-topic but I couldn't find any other way to contact you: I have a big question.
I'm in love with the Vectra B's body :D but I would like to swap its engine with the Vectra C's 1.9 CDTi 16v. Is is possible?? And if it is then approximately how much would it cost me???
Thank you in advance. Keep it up!
Dennis

Hi Prodigyant and welcome to TorqueCars. If you have 10 posts you will be able to PM other members. This is the sort of question that works well in the forum though as we will all be interested in the answer and it will leave a permemenant record. Keep us posted as to your progress with your project.

Sorry guy's, been a bit busy with my new job lol.

Right,yes you would be able to transplant the engine very easily. You may need to change the gearbox to suit the engine but there really isn't that much technical work to do.

Worst case, you may need to fabricate 3 brackets/mounts for the gearbox and engine but you shouldn't have a problem with the drive shafts fitting but if you do need the gearbox from the Vectra C, then you would ned to change the wheel hubs so the splines on the ends match and fit nice and snug, unless you had neew ones made up but then you start gettin into the realms of having to spend alot of money.

Also you would need to fit a fuel pump in the tank to suit the diesel engine. Aslong as you get hold of all the engine loom, dashboard loom and the ecu etc, you shouldn't have to much of a problem.

Hope this helps a bit ;)

Thx a lot for the info!
I have to admit that i havent understood half of what you just said :D but as far as im concerned its possible and it wont cost me millions... im absolutely not a technical kind of guy so i will prolly need to "hire" someone anyway ;)
And another question: Which do you think is the better way: buying used parts or buying a whole used Vectra C and using it as a donor?
Thanx again!
Dennis

buy a rear end smashed second hand car. You'll pay about the same as an engine but you can then sell all the other parts and make your money back ;)