Nos - :)

davalav

Pro Tuner
Car
Mini Cooper S R56
As title really... :)

Can any one explain to me how it works and how its fitted?

I understand the basics of it.... Injected into fuel mixture= more power?

But how do you fit it? Advantages? disadvantages?

In the summer I am planning to start my turbo project, but I have been curious about Nitrous Oxide for a while...

Cheers guys!

It is a no no for a registered car over here and insurance can be void even if there is no bottle connected to the lines.

Nitrous purge?

I have been speaking to Jarrus about it and it seems that instead of all out power, that it's best used as an anti lag setup? So a tiny amount of NOS is injected into the engine at said rev then as the operating rev range for the turbo comes in, the NOS is then shut off. Is that correct?

Is it road legal?

Purging - The removal of gaseous nitrous from the pipes prior to using the system. You need liquid nitrous at the solenoid but the hot engine bay will turn the nitrous in the pipes to a gas so this has to be vented off.

Watch nitrous equiped cars at the start line and you will notice a white gas being vented in spurts. This is the nitrous gas being removed from the system.

Rant alert:

Some people seem to consider this looks cool but, of course, I don't :)

Looks like 'look at me, I'm cool as I have nitrous.' If and when I fit my kit, the purged gases will be directed at the intercooler so it does some useful work rahter than just vented to the outside.

Rant over :)

Re anti-lag, Jarrus and Sleeper seem to have the basics covered here:

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f118/what-anti-lag-how-does-work-21112/

With regard to the legality, that depends on where you live.

In the UK, it is legal providing you have informed your insurance company and they have added it to your policy. Other countries have different rules.

What is interesting, and shows that legislators often haven't a clue, is that the EU regards nitrous as a fuel! EU laws prohibit running two fuels at the same time which would make nitrous illegal! I guess electricty isn't classed as a fuel or the regs have been changed to allow it :)

I do take issue with Jarus, however, with his view that nitrous is best used for anti-lag.

A turbo car fitted with anti-lag will be blown into the weeds by the same car fitted with a decent nitrous system. The quick turbo spool up will be far outweighed by the extra power provided by the nitrous, assuming, of course, that the turbo is big enough to handle the extra power.

If your turbo is being used at its maximum capacity adding nitrous will only work as anti-lag.

Last edited:
You can learn all you need to know about Nitrous from the F&F films.

Nitrous allows your car to spin the wheels uncontrollably and yet maintain increased acceleration.

nitrous does make more power!
but it can find the weak links in your engine, usually head gaskets 1st ,then maybe cracked ring lands, and can buckle a rod! all relative to how much nitrous and fuel are injected.

when on the line ,some guys like to spool the turbo with a quick hit, its all in a sequence.
and some like to spool up with a antilag , by retarding ignition,20-25*, momentarily injecting a big dose of fuel, burns mostly in the exhaust manifold and turbine housing, heat and volume skyrockets, and turbo spins out 20-30psi boost when at the line before you leave ,the noise is super loud and banging from retarded timing! seems its a old rally car trick.

yup it does work, but not long lived, not practical for a street car, but U-NO, what some guys do to win.

Lol..burst nitrous pipe :)

Clay any progress to report on the 40V T10 project??

So just thinking out loud I had a thought about how to synchronize the 2 gearboxes.

Is it possible to manualise the auto box and operate it via a switch on the top of the manuals gear lever OR an electronic sensor/switch/contact that is set to make the auto's change as the manuals clutch engages:confused:??

Would be interested in your thoughts :)

PS the mods may want to move this to Clays thread about his fire breathing delivery van.

Last edited:
Not sure what you're asking, but both my gearboxes are manual and synchronising them isn't a problem (the road does it) as for updates, you will just have to wait for the next Magazine feature ;)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back