Normal or weird ?!

777radmir777

Car
Wv golf mk4 gti 1.8
Hy there, question is my 2001 golf GTI 1.8, car runs at tempreture of 90, normal work tempreture , but running on highway (autobahn) with heater on tempreture goes down, heater off-goes back to 90,
Tempreture sensor problems? Or it is normal, we are talkin about mild winter -5 outside. Thanks

My 100R suffers from overcooling on the motorway in winter & the temp can drop by 2/3rds. Simple fix is to blank off part of the radiator just don't forget to remove it in the spring!

My 100R suffers from overcooling on the motorway in winter & the temp can drop by 2/3rds. Simple fix is to blank off part of the radiator just don't forget to remove it in the spring!

True, that could be the reason, I will try to do so, but will this jump of the temperature affect somehow info that goes in the computer, because if ecu reading that temperature is low, will it adjust air flow and fuel flow?

never noticed and drop in ether mine of the wifes car last year and that was well below -5. noticing it in my skoda as the engine is more thermally efficient

if its just dropping to around 70 itt isnt back. the guage itself isnt very accurate and will read 90 from high 70s to low 100 degrees

temp probe fails are easy to spot then guage will show it still cold then go up to 90 then drop off again.

might be a case of your thermostat isnt closing fully and so waters still passing round to be cooled.

yes it will effect the the ECU but only slightly as the fueling will be more controlled by the MAF sensor - which also has a air temp sensor in it - and MAP sensor beside the intercooler

When you heat your interior you use engine heat. So we can say you took some engine heat into interiour.
If you ever experience termostat failure and your engine went to overheat you can use this information to cool down the engine just by heating up the interior. ;)
Once made 300 mile trip during sommer that way...imagine outside temp about 30 deg C and heating constant on. :lol: But I came home and engine temperature never went beyond 95 deg C.

Yeah, I remember my father used to do that on older cars, when you used to live in mountain region, going uphill, with heater on is the only way to get home , sweet times :)
Thanks for reminding that to me :)

Yeah, I remember my father used to do that on older cars, when you used to live in mountain region, going uphill, with heater on is the only way to get home , sweet times :)
Thanks for reminding that to me :)

Your welcome! There are some ancient wisdoms which only those who have had driven old wrecks knows! ;)
Youngsters nowadays strugles to move out of snow. :)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back