Nobody should drive in these.

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
IF you or any of your loved ones are in the habit of driving with any of the following footwear when behind the wheel then IMO you should advise them of the dangers and encourage them to wear footwear designed for driving and not dancing or the catwalk as one simply can not have proper feel and control especially in an emergency situation where fractions of seconds can be the difference between crashing or not.
1 High heels/spikes.
2 any shoe without a heel strap.
3 Platform soled shoes.
4 steel cap work boots.

After all one does not wear any of the above when playing sport as they would hinder your performance.

I did once try to drive in steel capped boots. Believe me these completely remove the need for any form of brake force multiplication. This was way before ABS and was, frankly, extremely bloody dangerous. All 3 pedals were relegated to switch mode binary operation :D

With steel cap clodhoppers there is absolutely zero feel and can pick up more than 1 pedal in some vehicles built with the pedals close together.

With steel cap clodhoppers there is absolutely zero feel and can pick up more than 1 pedal in some vehicles built with the pedals close together.

That's exactly what I mean. Thankfully the thing planted upon the other end of my frame is working.

Driving is far more a cognitive thing than a physical thing.

I drive in riggers/steel toe caps virtually every working day I see no issue in doing so!

One can get used to almost anything with practice BUT IMHO that doesn't mean that they are the best choice for driving.:)

Last edited:
I'll admit they are not the most comfortable of driving attire. But they are still usable/competent footwear for when I drive!

I also had to wear steel cap boots when I was still working as a builder.
BUT I certainly didn't chose to wear them when I went for a nice spirited drive in the country:)

PS I only started this discussion to contribute to the forums and to encourage people to make better choices when getting behind the wheel.

IF you or any of your loved ones are in the habit of driving with any of the following footwear when behind the wheel then IMO you should advise them of the dangers and encourage them to wear footwear designed for driving and not dancing or the catwalk as one simply can not have proper feel and control especially in an emergency situation where fractions of seconds can be the difference between crashing or not.
1 High heels/spikes.
2 any shoe without a heel strap.
3 Platform soled shoes.
4 steel cap work boots.

After all one does not wear any of the above when playing sport as they would hinder your performance.
I prefer bare feet, you feel more connected to the car/road

Last edited: