No power to radio when off

wolfmankurd

Track Warrior
Car
Renault Clio 1.2
When we got the car (1.1 zest 106) the radio was locked out and we didn't have the code so we bought a new (better) one.
But it wont hold the settings (saved station etc) while the car is off. So I guess it's not getting any power.

Any ideas what could be wrong? I've thought about getting one of those lighter power supplies to tide it over but thought it'd be best to see if I could sort it out properly first.

Edit:
Solved =] Don't know how to mark the thread of if it's even possible.

Last edited:
You need to swap the power wires for the head unit.
There will be 2 wires that are normally red and one yellow. One is a permanent live and the other is a switchable live. You have these on the wrong way.;)

You need to swap the power wires for the head unit.
There will be 2 wires that are normally red and one yellow. One is a permanent live and the other is a switchable live. You have these on the wrong way.;)
Awesome! Hope that fixes it. I'll give it a go in a bit, there's something else I've noticed, the clock resets too, could this be part of the problem also?

yup thats the problem. there should be a low supply to the radio at all time to hold the settings.
different manufactures set them up differently so even ISO isnt exactly standard but 2 wire swapped around (red and yellow) should ix it

I tried switching the yellow and red and it wouldn't turn on, but that might have been a fault conenction I'll take a multimeter to the thing tomorrow. I was tempted to lick it and make sure power was going to the yellow but I though nah forget it (yo home to bel air).

:lol::lol::lol:

Did you have the ignition on when trying it?
Yeah, with just the electronics and the engine running.

=] you guys were right (liek it was ever in doubt ;)) I took a multimeter to it and what was screwing me up was the negative ground. so a quick swap got it all working!

Last edited: