No more tax discs

I know - it's weird. Like you'll go on the dvla site, tax your car and then... nothing.

Paranoid people like myself will be printing off the web-page to show Plod when his ANPR breaks....

It is a bit odd though, cos it used to be that quite often when you saw that car that had been parked down the road for a week, chances were the tax would be out, and if you were that way inclined you'd report it.

Now you'll have no idea.

And I've just noticed this:

"From 1 October, when you buy a vehicle, the vehicle tax will no longer be transferred with the vehicle. You will need to get new vehicle tax before you can use the vehicle."!

How RUBBISH is that????? I've often bought a car with a month or two left, called my insurers to let them know and then I'm legal and can drive it away. Cos you can bet you arse you'll not get through on that automated response line.

Just tried my car reg in their online checker and it doesn't find it.

So that's great...

There's going to need to be a change made in the law in that case. As far as I know it's currently an offence to operate the vehicle without having the road tax disc correctly displayed.

Have you thrown your tax disc away then? Mine is still showing!!!! It does expire next month though.

I wondered this also, as it stands the law doesn't prosecute for not actually having tax. The prosecution is failing to display a tax disk. I'm curious as to what will change.

There's going to need to be a change made in the law in that case. As far as I know it's currently an offence to operate the vehicle without having the road tax disc correctly displayed.

This has already been done. The law now states that from 1 October 2014 you no longer have to display a tax disc.

It will be interesting to see whether the removal of a visual tax disc will encourage more people to risk not taxing their vehicles.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see whether the removal of a visual tax disc will encourage more people to risk not taxing their vehicles.

More then likely mate.

I was watching Police Intercepters the other day and the statistic for cars on the road with no tax was scary. Shame I can't remember, as it was quite high.

How can you tell the difference between legal and illegal lack of disc? :)
Hence when I took mine off I kept it in the glove box in case of being pulled and dvla systems being overworked.
No idea to your original question though.

Has anyone seen a car WITHOUT one yet? Mine's up at the end of the month so when I renew I'll remove it.

Yes mine, watched the BBC news on the 1st of October and they confirmed that it was safe to remove your old tax disc now.

I'll keep mine on the windscreen even when it runs out just to see if I get a fine for out of date tax:lol:

I've seen a couple of cars now. I'll take mine out at the end of the month.

I wonder how many people are aware of this and when they dont see a disc will just think loads of other people are breaking the law?