No forum for Saturns!

SaturnSpeedster

Wrench Pro
Car
1997 Saturn SC2
Hey guys, just joined up recently, and wanted to point out, there's no area for Saturn guys like myself.
I would like some help on a build, so having a place for it would be great.
Thanks! :)

These cars are made by GM? I have just googled the name and year and came up with a YouTube car review on it from the States. We do have a: Vauxhall Opel GM and Holden manufacturers link on here!
As always here on TC new and older cars are taken care off through their popularity and member requests.
As and when we receive more interested people in your particular model, then we can add that car as a sub-forum to the general manufacturers link.
This will not prevent you from posting and asking questions on the Saturn though as I am sure it shares it's internals with more recognised models, so help for you will not be very far away! ;)

hey and welcome.

think its more, even though we are a world wide forum, predominately uk based and dont get them over here.
if there was enough interest then i know a sub forum could be added but we would be looking for at least 5 members with then ;)

These cars are made by GM?
Yes, they are GM vehicles.
think its more, even though we are a world wide forum, predominately uk based and dont get them over here.
That makes sense, thanks!
This will not prevent you from posting and asking questions on the Saturn though as I am sure it shares it's internals with more recognised models, so help for you will not be very far away!
Where would be the best place to put my questions (so that I place them in the appropriate area)?
The car is a 1997 Saturn SC2
It is a front-engine, front-wheel-drive (FF layout) coupe (it is one of GM's "Z" body style vehicles)
1.9L (116 cu in) Inline 4 cylinder "LLO" engine, DOHC with 4 valves per cylinder. It has a water-cooled cast aluminum block with cast iron bore liners, cast aluminum heads, aluminum pistons, cast iron 2-bolt main bearing caps, crankshaft with 4 counterweights (not sure of the material, probably steel though), forged steel connecting rods, floating piston pins with snap rings, direct-acting hydraulic lifters, electronic, linear EGR mechanism, multi-port fuel injection, rated at 124 hp (92.5 kW) and 122 ft·lbf (165 N·m).
3.23 inch (82.0 mm) bore, 3.54 inch (90.0 mm) stroke. 9.5:1 compression ratio.
Dry weight: 220.22 lb (99.89 kg)
Specific power: 65.26 hp/L
The car has a 5-speed manual "MP3" transmission with the following ratios:
1st Gear: 3.250
2nd Gear: 2.056
3rd Gear: 1.423
4th Gear: 1.033
5th Gear: 0.730
Reverse: 2.923
Final Drive: 4.063

The car weighs 2,415 lb.
102.4 inch wheelbase
180 inch length
67.3 inch width
52.2 inch height
5.6 inch ground clearance
What are your plans then long term for the car?
Goal of at least 200 wheel horsepower (hoping to go up to ~300 hp in the end, but will be happy with at least 200whp)
possibilities are (for starters):
1) swapping in pistons out of a 1993 version of the car (they are the exact same, except dished, lowering compression about 2-2.5 points)
2) swapping in a crankshaft out of a 99-02 version of the car (exact same, except it has 8 counterweights instead of 4, which makes it run a little smoother, although it adds a little weight)
3) swapping in a 1997 (same year) intake camshaft in place of the exhaust crankshaft (Adds 5 degrees of duration and .01 inch lift on the exhaust side)
4) '00-'03 version of the car tie-plate (girdle), dipstick, oil pan, and windage tray
4) larger throttle body
5) stand alone controller
6) POSSIBLY swap to all billet-forged internals
7) have crankshaft knife-edged, polish crankshaft journals, polish connecting rod journals
8) port and polish heads, intake and exhaust manifolds, and throttlebody
9) 5-angle valve job
10) install a bar-and-plate intercooled turbocharger (8-10 lb of boost) - possibly a T3 (trying to put the powerband in the 3k-8k rpm range) - with recirculating blow-off valve, electronic boost controller, and external wastegate.
11) install a 50 hp shot of direct port nitrous oxide injection (electronic controlled, only on at W.O.T.) - nitrous purge aimed at intercooler front (possibly utilizing a spray bar?)
12) re-gapped, colder, copper plugs
13) higher volume fuel pump, injectors, oil pump, and oil filter
14) Oil cooler with fan
15) have it all tuned (ECU Remap)
16) lowering springs for the car
17) thicker sway bars
18) wider tires with slightly lower profile (larger rims to keep the speedometer accurate)
19) lightweight alloy rims
20) stronger clutch & flywheel
21) limited slip differential with ring gear and welded differential pin
22) rear drum to disc brake conversion

And anything else you guys can help me out with.

Last edited:
That is some list you have there, it sounds like you will have a proper street machine once it's all finished. I do wish you the very best of luck with this project, at least you can take comfort in the fact that you have some marvellous car modifying brains on this forum and that an answer to any of your questions is never far away. ;)

That is some list you have there, it sounds like you will have a proper street machine once it's all finished. I do wish you the very best of luck with this project, at least you can take comfort in the fact that you have some marvellous car modifying brains on this forum and that an answer to any of your questions is never far away.
Thanks!

So, where should I post my questions (starting with proper sized turbo for my powerband)?

Thanks!

So, where should I post my questions (starting with proper sized turbo for my powerband)?

I would try the General Car Chat forum for now then post the turbo question in the General Technical Forum. There are some marvellous experts who frequent this forum so someone is bound to know the answer to your question. Good luck ;)

If you want to find the right turbo that should be relatively simple.

First ....... is there a turbo version of your car if yes thats sorted as there are bound to be tried and tested upgrades as well.

if no then look for an engine thats similar to yours thats been turbod out of the factory . Ideally the same cc and with the same configuration.

If you cant find that then look through the forums of simila na engines and find out whats been fitted.

If thats a no as well then its probably not worth doing.

Also remember it isnt just a bolt on job you will need to uprate the fuelling and get a remap. Also check your compression ratio as some NA engines are to high comp for turbos.

I will open up a Saturn forum if there is enough support. General chat, this forum or the tech forum will be find though for your questions.

Welcome to TorqueCars, nice to meet you. You sound like a man with a plan then! I look forward to hearing how you are getting on. Perhaps you should start a project thread as well in the gallery section to keep us up to speed.

That sounds like one hell of a project! Something important you've missed out is weight loss. Power to weight ratio is important and with a car that heavy it will have to go on a diet.

Why not get a thread up in the projects section? You can ask questions there and keep us updated with lots of pictures (10 posts required first).

That sounds like one hell of a project! Something important you've missed out is weight loss. Power to weight ratio is important and with a car that heavy it will have to go on a diet.

Why not get a thread up in the projects section? You can ask questions there and keep us updated with lots of pictures (10 posts required first).

YES! I didn't think about that. Thank you so much for suggesting.
Where should I start? The body is all fiberglass. I guess I could get some lightweight racing seats? What else?

YES! I didn't think about that. Thank you so much for suggesting.
Where should I start? The body is all fiberglass. I guess I could get some lightweight racing seats? What else?

How much comfort do you want? That's the question. You can remove all sorts, but you will sacrifice comfort.

Off the top of my head..
- Lightweight seats
- Rear seats removed
- Sound deadening removed
- Door cards removed or replaced with carbon fibre
- Air con removed
- Carpets removed
- Glass replaced with lightweight version
- Stereo equipment removed
- All wiring that isn't needed removed

Basically, if it doesn't make the car go faster, rip it out!

The seats are a good start as you will also gain from being held in your seat better instead of sliding aroung. This means you can test the car out more with the increase in confidence. Have a real good think about interior before selecting a set though as you may decide to match the whole interior.

How much comfort do you want? That's the question. You can remove all sorts, but you will sacrifice comfort.

Off the top of my head..
- Lightweight seats
- Rear seats removed
- Sound deadening removed
- Door cards removed or replaced with carbon fibre
- Air con removed
- Carpets removed
- Glass replaced with lightweight version
- Stereo equipment removed
- All wiring that isn't needed removed

Basically, if it doesn't make the car go faster, rip it out!

The seats are a good start as you will also gain from being held in your seat better instead of sliding aroung. This means you can test the car out more with the increase in confidence. Have a real good think about interior before selecting a set though as you may decide to match the whole interior.
Yeah, I can remove the spare tire, put lighter front seats in, remove rear seat, take out door panels, swap windows out with lexan (polycarbonate), possibly swap to manual windows, and pull out the center console. Also, lighter alloy wheels should lower the weight as well.
Would taking out the plastic fuel tank and putting a fuel cell in the recessed area where the spare tire was in the trunk make it any lighter as well?
Also, this makes my 10th post!

Last edited:
Yeah, I can remove the spare tire, put lighter front seats in, remove rear seat, take out door panels, swap windows out with lexan (polycarbonate), possibly swap to manual windows, and pull out the center console. Also, lighter alloy wheels should lower the weight as well.
Would taking out the plastic fuel tank and putting a fuel cell in the recessed area where the spare tire was in the trunk make it any lighter as well?
Also, this makes my 10th post!

Yeah. Less fuel will essentially make it lighter. Losing the spare tyre as well if you dare!

10 posts mean pictures!! :D

Congrats on your 10th post :) it sounds like you have a good grasp of what Prince was trying to explain to you. Just in-case, you may have overlooked one small thing - the noise! be aware that once the headlining, carpet, sound deadening material etc has been removed, you WILL notice a rise in ambient road noise levels.
Make sure your happy about this first before you remove too much of the car interior.

Congrats on your 10th post :) it sounds like you have a good grasp of what Prince was trying to explain to you. Just in-case, you may have overlooked one small thing - the noise! be aware that once the headlining, carpet, sound deadening material etc has been removed, you WILL notice a rise in ambient road noise levels.
Make sure your happy about this first before you remove too much of the car interior.
yeah, i'm hesitant to remove sound deadening.
I'm not going to go all-out, just a quick street car.
I'm ok with losing the A/C (I can just roll the windows down, I usually have mine half way down anyways), I'd prefer to keep my stereo though.
Yeah. Less fuel will essentially make it lighter. Losing the spare tyre as well if you dare!
Also losing the gas tank means I no longer have to put all those bends in my exhaust, snaking it around the tank (lowers that little bit of restriction).

I'll post up pics a little farther along (my camera's busted), when I get a new one, or maybe borrow someone else's I'll let you guys know.
You are all great. I was on another forum before this and everyone treated all the new members horribly simply because they were new to the site. Most of them (like myself) have been messing with cars since before they could drive.

Last edited:
You are all great. I was on another forum before this and everyone treated all the new members horribly simply because they were new to the site. Most of them (like myself) have been messing with cars since before they could drive.

Thanks buddy, I hate that nonsense you have just described when it comes to attitudes towards new members!
I hear this time and time again from new members when they join us for the first time. Some of these "expert" people are of the opinion that because someone has just asked a question that has been asked 100 times before, that this gives them the right to talk to the member like he or she is an idiot, I hate that! It costs nothing to be polite and civil.

Being polite and friendly is actually a TorqueCars forum rule.

The chaps who have posted here on this thread while trying to offer you help and advice; just happen to represent some of the best car modifying minds around (myself excluded as I'm still learning) so you are very lucky to have found us! Enjoy the forum :)

yeah, i'm hesitant to remove sound deadening.
I'm not going to go all-out, just a quick street car.
I'm ok with losing the A/C (I can just roll the windows down, I usually have mine half way down anyways), I'd prefer to keep my stereo though.

Also losing the gas tank means I no longer have to put all those bends in my exhaust, snaking it around the tank (lowers that little bit of restriction).

I'll post up pics a little farther along (my camera's busted), when I get a new one, or maybe borrow someone else's I'll let you guys know.

I don't have air-con and tbh I don't really miss it except around for a week in the year. I would keep the stereo too.

Remember, just because it is stripped doesn't mean it has to be uncomfortable. For example, if you lose the rear seats, you can carpet over the space.

You're correct about the exhaust. Less bends means a quicker exit (generally).

Thanks for the compliment to the forum! We all work hard on preserving the reputation of the site and it's worth it when members like yourselfs come along.

Some forums unfortunately don't welcome noobs and keep to their own little groups. I'm on many forums and this one always feels like 'home'.

I don't have air-con and tbh I don't really miss it except around for a week in the year. I would keep the stereo too.

Remember, just because it is stripped doesn't mean it has to be uncomfortable. For example, if you lose the rear seats, you can carpet over the space.

You're correct about the exhaust. Less bends means a quicker exit (generally).

Thanks for the compliment to the forum! We all work hard on preserving the reputation of the site and it's worth it when members like yourselfs come along.

Some forums unfortunately don't welcome noobs and keep to their own little groups. I'm on many forums and this one always feels like 'home'.

Yeah, like when I remove the door panels, I'll probably put some kind of fabric over it so it still looks ok.

I haven't had time to read this post from start to finish yet but I have a 2007 Saturn Aura XE that I want to tune and mod. I would love to see a Saturn forum as well. I would like to start with some general tuning and light mods to start and later move on to a turbo. I have enjoyed reading some of the pontiac threads on their 3.5 v6 work.

I haven't had time to read this post from start to finish yet but I have a 2007 Saturn Aura XE that I want to tune and mod. I would love to see a Saturn forum as well. I would like to start with some general tuning and light mods to start and later move on to a turbo. I have enjoyed reading some of the pontiac threads on their 3.5 v6 work.
Nice to have another Saturn guy on here with me. Welcome!

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back