nissan z31 na to turbo

TUNING NISSANS my facvourite topic :bigsmile:

The z31 has a decent basic engine ( assuming its a turbo) and can handle 500 atf ok as long as it is IN DECENT CONDITION. any more than that and you should be forging the internals

To get there
Fit a decent hi flow exhaust minimum 3"
throw away the air box and replace with decent induction
Change the 260 injectors for larger ones and fit uprated fuel pump with its own circuit ........THIS IS A MUST
fit a decent electronic boost controller but remember the standard turbo wont take silly boost

you will need a bigger turbo for sure anyway as it cant produce the figures you mention . There is a choice of many - just make sue you get one which can run decent boost

When all finished get it mapped with a decent ecu

BTW there is a massive difference between 400 and 500 , you need to decide which . I'd go for 500 ( but no surprise there :bigsmile: )

Edit cos i just read its an NA and an 87 car
This make it more difficult (to do )
Depends on which engine you have ?
12v ? sohc ? if either of these fit a later turbo engine and tune as above .
if it isnt check the compression ratio as it may be too high being an NA

It may still be easier and cheaper to fit the turbo engine.

Last edited:
Yeah its an sohc, vg30. Pathfinder made a vg33 that looks just like mine.i also have a 1984 na z31, but i dont like the body style. Im probly going to use the 84 moter becouse of the top feed fule rales. I also think i might have blown the 87 engine.

I would have thought that a later turbo engine would fit pretty easy BUT that is a "thought" I dont know for sure but most nissan engines can be swopped as long as they are the same configuration.

That engine will need to be tuned to a pretty fine level to get over 400 without ant dte - you will need at least a nistune and probably a power fc or similar. These may be difficult to sourrce for an early engine

both solved of course by fitting a later motor

My frunt crossmember is diffrent than a turbo model. I am going to forge the internals. I get 9.0 comprshion raio. Better than the turbo models. I just need the crossmember or i need a way to relocate the turbo.

Compression ratios are always lower in turbo engines than in the equivelent NA engine and for good reason

You dont want a higher compression for a turbo you actually need a lower compression ratio so dont use the "better 9-1 " compression ratio if better means a higher c/r fit pistons to give the compression ratio the turbo engine should have.

I think that your turbo engine was 7.8-1 so I would stick with that and certainly not go over 8 with a turbo on that engine.

This wont cost you power I have a forged nissan rb26 twin turbo engine It produces roughly 200bhp per litre at the hubs that is with an 8.5 c/r .But the straight six rb engines run a higher compression that the V6s in both na and turbo form The NA engines run a 9.5 c/r

So 7.8 is about right or you will be running the risk of overheating and blowing head gaskets because turbos produce loads more heat.

Last edited: