Nissan Sunny owners - swap your tips here.

engine change {nissan sunny)

do i need to change any of the runnig gear when i change from 1.6 to 2.0l? like driveshafts/cv joints/or anything like that,,i would rather do it now than have problems l8r?? and also the dial on the 1.6 goes up to 120mph,, will i need to change this when going up to 2.0l??

If things physically slot together you will be fine - the 2.0 engine will not overly stress the 1.6 fittings. If things do not fit then you have to look into custom driveshafts.

If you stick with your gearbox and speed sensor you will not need to change the speedo - just watch the dial go round a couple of times. The speedo dial only needs to match the 'speed sensor gear'.

The Pulsar Turbo is a good example of a powerful engine in your model of car you may find that pulsar parts are the answer to many of the fit problems you have.

sunny

thnx m8,,gr8 help,,what would the diffrence be runnig the 2.0l with the 1.6 gearbox as opposed to the 2.0l box?? if there is major diference in performance i would do the gearbox aswel,,no use with half-measures m8. my sunny is an N reg,august 1995, 1 of the last made so i am willing to do good things with it.

Its only a gut feeling - no stats to base this on but the 1.6 will probably be lower ratiod meaning faster 0-60 times than the 2.0 box. The 2.0 Box is probably stronger so its a toss up between speed and reliability and unless you are planning to tune the 2.0 engine by another 20% of its power I would stick with the lower ratio box (You just need to check that they will mate together alright!).

Usually the manufacturers son't make box's from lower spec cars deliberately weaker. They usually make them all equally as strong as each other so that they can cope with more wear.

But of course if you are trying to put 260BHP through a gearbox designed for a car with 90BHP, you will have problems sooner or later!

Were just talking tolerances really - generally larger engines have stronger (better geared) boxes as they have a lot more to cope with. There is not enough of a power difference to worry in this case but on a Rover for example the 2.0 box would not last more than a matter of months on the 2.0 Turbo with a 50 bhp increase - the ratios are different so the stresses and strains the engines put on the box hit the 'weakspots' hard.

Okay, thats a fair point, and my inital thoughts would match what you have said Wayne. Having said that, I know that alot of 16v Paxo's run 1.1 boxes, 1.3 boxes etc for long periods of time with no real issues. Even some boosted Saxo's use base model gearboxes, and they CAN cope with alot more stress over a longer period of time than you would initally expect.