Nissan Pulsar N15 1.6L mods?

trent coering

I have a nissan pulsar Q N15. i have put a sports exhaust and extractors. what other non turbo mods can i do that will give it more power. i dont want to do any mods that where i cant even feel any increase in power

Hi Trent - welcome to the site :D . I'm just trying to tie the model down - I don't recognise the Q as a UK spec car. I think the N15 Pulsars had 1.4, 1.6 and 2L Petrol and 2L diesel engines here. In Japan they had a 1.5, 1.6 & 1.8 L engines and also the VZ-R N1 which puts down a stonking 200PS :eek: .

Are you ok with doing internal engine work?

I would change the CAM for a fast road cam. Head work is usually a good bet but without the engine size it's hard to give more specific advice. What is the standard power output for your model of car. And what do you mean by 'extractors'?

Did the exhaust make much difference for you? (Other than the great sound it makes.)

reply to waynne

hi waynne thanks for the reply. the Q doesn't really mean much. its just a standard 1.6L twin cam engine. the exhaust gave it a fair bit more top end power. idont really know to much about cars but the extractors where fitted by the same people who done the exhaust. the receipt says "Supply and fit extractors, Flex Join Catalic converter and sports exhaust. the extractors are e few pipes that come out of the front of the engine that run down toward the ground (they make a pipe sound when accelerating). i was told a KnN air filter and a Cold Air Induction Kit would increase the power a little more.i just wondering that is the right way to go?

You can try out an induction kit effect by wrapping a piece of stocking around the air intake after removing the air box. You'd still need a cold air feed pipe though for best effect. I don't think the K&N will give you the power gains you are after but it will make a really nice roar sound on accelerating. Try the stocking thing to see what the result is before shelling out your money :wink: but be sure to wrap it on tight to make sure it does not get sucked into the engine. The twin cam will benefit a lot from a sportier cam profile. An FSE boost valve will increase the pressure in the fuel rail and make the car respond much quicker when you put your foot down. Nitrous also has a big effect but hte hidden cost is the refills of the bottles.

Engine code for the N15 is SR16VE. Hope this helps.
And from what i've read it's a monster of an engine putting out around 172bhp standard

Last edited:
Nissan's Neo VVL in action ;) Variable valve lift & timing. That was the base model. There was an N1 version which put out 190bhp. A real VTEC killer.

There's a few guys on the almera owners club with these engines and they seem to be pretty impressive.

I'm guessing trent coering's engine is not the VE though and is the GA16DE. About 100bhp standard iirc. The Q I've heard referenced in Australia but that was the N16 Pulsar Q.

The GA responds well to an Apexi intake. You can also get headers for them in the US, so check Ebay. That'll give you a noticable difference to mid range and top end power with increased torque, especially as you've already got the exhaust done.

Last edited:
hi there just wondering if the pulsar was also called a sunny as im looking for an engine to put in my k10 micra and it sounds like a good engine to go in the place of the 988cc monster it has

cool so i may look for 1.6 sunny for the micra. and would you say most the mods your talking about would go on? as there are a few around

cool so i may look for 1.6 sunny for the micra. and would you say most the mods your talking about would go on? as there are a few around

if your thinking of an engine swap i'd advise buying a whole car. Because you will find that you may need alot more than just an engine and ECU.
Search breakers yards and things like that.

yes i was going to get whole car, i want all the gear out of it mmmm power steering cant wait. how heavy is the engine and gearbox you recon