Torque Cars

Nissan A15 turbo Draw/blowthrough vs. Efi

Discussion in 'Other makes and models' started by Pitbully, 28 October 2012.

1. Pitbully

Pitbully New member

South Africa, Boksburg
    Car:
    Nissan 1400 Turbo
    Hi Guys,
    Im trying to measure up the pro's & con's of blowtrough turbo vs Fuel injected turbo on my A15 Nissan stroker. It seems that the blow/draw through setup is easier to do but very difficult to tune and sort because of lean/rich mixtures and getting jet sizes sorted as leaning out on a turbo at strong boost is detrimental to the engine.

The electronic fuel injected route is a bit more costly but I hear that it is a whole lot less troublesome and actually more fun to drive. Actually come to think of it, Its a management system that monitors your settings once setup correctly.

Ive heard of floats collapsing in the blowthrough carburettors and logically I do not think that a carburettor will last long in such a pressurised environment. Drawthrough turbo is problematic for me personally as I prefer not to push the air/fuel mixture through the turbo.

Ive been a serious Normally Aspirated hands on tuner on these A series datsun/nissan engines but would really enjoy the challenge of doing my own turbo set up. I covered the basics as to balancing the internals and getting stronger connecting rods, matching ports and getting the compression to about 8.4:1 planning boost figures of around 10 - 12 psi. Some pointers would be greatly appreciated. Like how to determine the size of the plenum, or advantages of different plenum sizes as some okes swear by a small one and some okes go big. Camshafts for turbo setups ??

I would much rather spend more money and time upfront and enjoy the benefits of a well set up engine. The little nissan is purely a toy and not my daily drive so time is not an issue. and not having to rush the project makes it possible to perhaps save up a month or two to buy the better end of the spectrum products. And perhaps a decent addition of nitrous a bit later.

thanks

Last edited: 28 October 2012
  2. SLEEPER

SLEEPER Pro Tuner

the a15 engines have been turbod with great success.

Plenum size will depend on the engine tune and on the capacity (you did say it was a stroker ?)

Electronic fuel management will always be better if you can fit it . It is much harder to fit but easier to map and with a decent ecu you can get very good results.

Main problem with turboing an na engine is heat - turbos run very hot. Metal headgasket is a must and different cams will give much better results.

Pitbully likes this.