Nissan A14 tuning specs

AdrianBristow

Car
'73Bug DatA14S eng.
Hi all. It's been a while (work!)

I have an A14 s motor in my 1973 Beetle, it's running "ok" but I am sure that it can give me more/better performance. I am looking to tune it, nothing spectacular (money IS an object!), just the basic tuning. Timing, points/plugs gap etc. I have 2 x side draft solex carbs on at the moment.

The engine seems to choke/tail off/break down at medium to high revs. Can anyone help me?

By the way, does anyone know how to check the year of a motor from the engine number? As a matter of interest it's A14s048174D.

Thanks a lot all

Adrian

Hi. Thanks a lot for your reply.

I'm not sure when it was serviced before I got it, but I did change the plugs and air filters (I have one cone filter per carb) about 500k's ago. I serviced the carbs about 300k's ago. Took them all apart, cleaned them all out and replaced the fluid in the chambers (Solex carbs).

The throttle response is fine, but as I say, the motor seems to "choke off" when the revs get high (not excessively high) before changing gear. It revs fine up until then, but when it gets to about 4000-4500rpm (I don't have a rev counter) the motor seems to "hesitate", as if it's got to the end of it's rev/power band range, which doesn't seem possible at those revs. It does stutter/splutter a little when it gets to that stage. I thought maybe the timing might be out, hence my request for info. I have it set at 7 degrees BTDC (retarded) and set the plug and points gaps. Could these be set wrong and thus contribute to the problem? Once I have all of the correct info I will give Beetle Bailey a FULL service.

I would appreciate any help possible. I know how good the Nissan 1400 motors are and just want to get the best out of it. I don't drive like "Miss Daisy", but I don't "drag" or "drive it like it's stolen". I would just like to be able to pass a few mosquitos (and the odd 1100cc Atos! ;-] )

Thanks again for your help.
Adrian