Torque Cars

Newly old Battery -_-

Discussion in 'General car Chat' started by MisterHolaMan, 26 August 2009.

1. MisterHolaMan

MisterHolaMan Torque Junkie

Midwest, United States
    Car:
    none
    Alright, so now the battery on my Fiero is from April, but it's already screwing with me. It drains fast, and when I try to have it jumped or charged, it makes the battery lose more juice. I also tried reversing the connections just for kicks, but it sparked. What should I do?

2. turbonutter69

turbonutter69 TC ModFather Moderator

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    Is everything else in good order? I would suspect something is draining the battery and it's not at fault.

3. weber44idf

weber44idf Torque Junkie

australia
    Car:
    xjs jaguar
    try disconnecting the terminal , either is fine
    wait till its dark and reconnect - look for little sparks as the terminal is connected . If you can see them you have an electrical short ( could also be the anti theft device )
    If your a D I Y type remove fuses one at a time and repeat the process untill no sparks , this will pin point the circuit you have problems with . From there its a matter of chaseing the wires , the alternative is to see an auto sparky
    good luck

4. MasterAuron

MasterAuron Very Senior Member

379bhp 359lbft
    Car:
    Mk1 Focus RS
    Could also be a loose/dodgy earth?

5. Munday

Munday Torque Junkie

Letchworth GC, Herts
    Car:
    Glanza V
    You reversed the connections? :confused:

Step away from the car and take it to a garage.

Assuming you wont do that...have you let the battery drain down completely at any point? they dont like that and it can #!#!#!#! them basically. Take the little caps off and check you have fluid covering the metal plates inside too, top up with distilled water if its dry to just over the plates

6. MisterHolaMan

Midwest, United States
    Car:
    none
    I don't think it's shorted, because the car will do the stuff like lights and the solenoid engages, but it doesn't have enough juice to turn over the engine.

7. Munday

Munday Torque Junkie

Letchworth GC, Herts
    Car:
    Glanza V
    You are lucky you didnt blow up the ecu and other electrical components.

So has the battery gone totally flat at any point then?

Have you checked the battery fluid level?

8. turbonutter69

turbonutter69 TC ModFather Moderator

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    Have you installed a head unit recently?

9. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    Is it being overcharged by the alternator/regulator pack?

10. MisterHolaMan

Midwest, United States
    Car:
    none
    I made the reversing terminals sound a lot worse. I reversed the currents while it was out of the car and connected to the charger. I'm pretty sure the battery didn't go completely flat, and fluid is good. I think I found the problem now. When it was on the charger, it did charge, but the gauge said it didn't, so it's just a wacked out gauge. After charging it I reconnected it, and it now turns over, but I'll need new spark plugs for tomorrow. I used some ether in it, but it didn't do enough.:mad: