Newbie with old Porsche..........

wolfie308

Car
Porsche 944 S.2
Hi all,

Not sure how I got here, but I thought I'd say hello. My only car and daily driver is a '90 944 S.2 which I've owned for the last 6 years.

There's not much in the way tuning possibilities for the 3.0 litre 16v engine, so I have confined myself to a number of discreet styling mods and a rigorous maintenance which has cost me over £7k in the last 18 months or so.

I also manufacture clear lenses which are unavailable elsewhere, one of which is the rears for the 944 together with a dual amber/ white LED strips for the front indicator/sidelights. My car was used in the opening sequences of an episode of Wheeler Dealer....unfortunately I can't post the link as a noob, but if you're interested you'll find it if you do a Google search for 'Wheeler Dealer 944 turbo'

Well that's me for now, I'll pop over to the Porsche area and see who's about.

Cheers,

Richard

Welcome from a fellow 944 enthusiast :D
What styling bits have you done?
Seen some LED daytime running lights thread on the Porsche Forums not you is it?
You can get some chips and other bits for the S2 but you're right they were tuned pretty good by Porsche to start with :bigsmile:

Andy

Hi Andy,

Looks like you're the only active 944 owner on here? Cracking motor you've got there with some of the legendary JM's tweeks :bigsmile:

Only a few styling bits.....clear lenses all round, s/steel sill guards, matching linen leather gaiter and colour crested wheel centres....not much more required.

More important stuff....KW V.3 coilovers, 968 castor mounts, 968 MO30 anti roll bars front and rear with poly bushes. Sills were done 12 months ago along with respray both sides and front for cosmetic purposes.

Yes it must have been my LED daylight running lights you've seen on PCGB - I'd liked to have posted pics, but I must say this is the only forum I've ever come across where you have to have 10 posts to upload a photo :confused:

Was the suspension work done out of neccessity or choice as K.Ws are pretty expensive arn't they? I've upgraded bits on mine as an when something wears out, which is quite often at moment as 165000 miles just clicked over on the reading :blink: Have the SE spec MO30 adjustable suspension and brake package on mine and is fine for moment. Sills were the first thing that needed doing on mine so know your pain at the costs :sad2: Waiting for Jon M to finish manufacturing a 3" turbo downpipe for my exhaust system to finish off the engine tuning then restart the body and interior restoration which I was going to do first but plans never seem to come out the way you first think ;)

Where in Bucks are you I did have until 6 weeks ago family in Aylesbury which is where my wife also comes from so know the surrounding area fairly well.

Think the 10 post rule is to probably stop spam links getting on site :confused:

Whats involved in the fitting of the leds then? Any alterations to the wiring loom?

Andy

Hello there and a warm welcome, nice to have you in TorqueCars forum. I hope you enjoy your time with us, we are friendly and helpful so feel free to ask any questions and pass on any tips you have picked up over the years.

I'll try hard to get us a few more 944 fans on here then guys.:)

And hello to you guys as well.

Andy, it started when failed last MOT on seized rear calliper which turned into new discs and pads all round and all callipers refurbed with new backing plates. The original suspension was also noticeably tired with front offside damper not damping at all - looking at the horrid price of original or OEM front struts, it made the K.W's look not TOO bad seeing as full geo would be needed with either.

MO30 was an improvement over the standard setup, but would be worn out at 165k or so...have you replaced the dampers?

Next job is the exhaust which is blowing from the front of the back box. I already have the ESS decat, so was looking at their 6 x 4 oval, but don't like the way the recent type has an obvious tail with a visible reducer pipe before going into the back box itself - bit difficult to explain. Otherwise it may have to be the preferred Dansk option.

I'm in Amersham, so not far off your old patch. The front LED strips are wired through the back of the units, behind the PU and into the rear of the combination lamp to the sidelight bulb(which I have also changed from the feeble 4W filament to a 1W single LED)

Since it should be obvious I'm not a spammer, if the mods could be a little flexible, I could post some before and after pics

MO30 was an improvement over the standard setup, but would be worn out at 165k or so...have you replaced the dampers?

Next job is the exhaust which is blowing from the front of the back box. I already have the ESS decat, so was looking at their 6 x 4 oval, but don't like the way the recent type has an obvious tail with a visible reducer pipe before going into the back box itself - bit difficult to explain. Otherwise it may have to be the preferred Dansk option.

Hi Richard

Take a look at JMGs modification page http://www.jmgarage.com/modify/modify-944.htm He does a high quality exhaust and can manufacture it to how you like as they're made to order. He's a Turbo legend but does the back box for S2s aswell. The price you see includes fitting but you can phone and get a mail order price. Just tell him AerialAndy sent you. They look smart and are made for European cars so don't stick out a foot like some US made ones do. Nice sound too :amuse:

Jon hasn't said anything about the dampers etc, changed the ARB links and castor mounts to 968 type so I take it the rest is OK, I just leave it to him :D Had to replace the brake Master cylinder last October while it was in for MOT :sad2:

Been considering updating the rear lights so give you a call nearer the time.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

Didn't think of JM for the exhaust...might be worth me giving him a ring as we have done business before. With carriage and fitting, I think it might work out cheaper to drive to Bournemouth, but that's a fair trek from Amersham. :sad2: You might have noticed he also offers the rear indicator conversion - I wonder where he gets the lenses from? ;)

I think they would look particularly good on your colour - I've got a couple of pics of them on similar, but can't of course post them yet. Also with the LED fronts they have a blue white which would work well (if you like that kind of thing) I did them for a bit of fun and to 'personalise' my clear fronts, which seem to be more common than the original amber ones now :bigsmile:

Also had my clutch sorted last Aug - the pedal had developed a tendency to get stuck half way down, so I had the master and slave changed together with a weepy looking hose.

Boost Regards,

Richard
p.s .... mine's Guard's Red, Linen Leather, 146k miles

Richard

Was talking to Jon today about some other bits and pieces and for your car he does either straight replacement rear boxes or more fancy ones like the ESS but nicer ;) Have a chat with him about what he can do, he's not that far away from you M3 down to Southampton, M27 across to Ringwood, A338 straight down to Bournemouth, couple of hours probably, make it a day trip to the sunny South :D Have a chat about the lenses aswell show him some samples you never know. He fits HID upgrades and does all the wiring loom so your daytime lights might work with that upgrade (my old sales rep head kicking in there) :amuse:

Also if you've been after any odd parts at all Jon's having a massive clear out from his various storage units, call him with what you want and he'll probably have it especially any trim or wheels like split rims etc, been a parts sale message on TIPEC forum for a while.

Cheers

Andy

Yes it must have been my LED daylight running lights you've seen on PCGB - I'd liked to have posted pics, but I must say this is the only forum I've ever come across where you have to have 10 posts to upload a photo :confused:

Sorry about the 10 post limit - we have had a lot of trouble with spammers in the past so this has been hard coded into the forum.

If you have images on the web already like in photobucket you can link to them and we will happily approve them for you. You'll just have to be patient and wait till a moderator spots it.

I have copied your posts into the Porsche forum which has doubled your posts to 8. Just 2 more posts and you can use our image upload facility and be free of the automatic moderation of posts.

Id certainly love to see pics of your car.