Newbie with Golf GTI issues

D

Deeds69

Hi All,

New to this so please be gentle.

I have owned a 1996 MKIII Golf GTI 2.0 8v for just over a year, the car has had a bit of a flat spot for awhile but has now turned to missfiring at 2800rpm and pinking under load.

I was thinking of putting on a rolling road and having it remapped but not sure if will help. I have added Induction Kit, Sports exhaust and replaced coil, plugs, leads and dissi cap.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Deeds:D

Hi deeds and it really nice to have you along. We're always gentle - not like some forums i've been on!

First up I would get the car pack to standard and see if that helps any. It is probably something as simple as a misfire due to a bad HT lead. It could be a bad O2 (lambda) sensor, dody catalyst or even a fouled up MAF (air flow sensor). Does the induction kit have oil on it? This oil is notorious for fouling up the MAF.

A full service will help = new plugs/oil etc. If the mileage is getting high it might be asking for a decoke. You could try a redex fuelled blast to clear everything out.

Pinking is a problem so you should avoid doing anything that causes this - keep the revs low.

Have you tried super unleaded in it?

Don't remap until you get the problem fixed - a remap works the engine harder and to tighter parameters.