Newbie in Belfast, looking for ideas

KennyD57

Car
Ford
Hi Everyone,
I have a Mazda CX-5 as a daily car, but I would like a "fun car" preferably either a Ford Ka or Fiesta 3dr, to do up and tune up for a quicker version. I'm thinking of spending around £3k for a standard car, then start from there.
I don't want to go too mad. If it's a Ka, maybe uprate the camshaft, exhaust, panel filter, brakes and suspension. Does anyone have any ideas on the best route to take?
Suggestions appreciated?
Cheers from KennyD

This is my Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo Estate 1.2tsi 2017, I recently fitted BC Racing coilovers and a K&N Panel Filter, it's got adjustable antirollbar links from Whiteline, and has been corner weighted, fitted Dotz 17" wheels with Michelin Pilot 4 tyres. It's pretty nippy, but it's fun is not its power but it's road holding, it corners like a super car so is just great fun on twisty roads..... Internally I've added just bits and pieces to tidy it up, next is a cobra exhaust and a rolling road remap, and I'm exploring the possibility of fitting a supercharger from a 1.4tsi twincharge engine just to delete the sluggish uptake all small engines experience at low revs, and possibly a bigger turbo.

A really nice engine, a really nice car, comfy and nimble, and grossly overlooked. You could probably buy a 1.4 tsi Vrs with a few miles on it for £5000 and it would be well quick and a good base to work off. Have fun and stay safe.
20201013_091937.jpg

Fabs be careful about fitting "a bigger turbo" due to loosing power low down and getting more higher in the rev band.

Have you thought about high flowing the compressor housing so it can supply more air and by keeping the turbine stock it shouldn't loose much if any of motors the low rev response ?

PS nice mod list |B

PPS was the corner weighting carried out with someone of a similar build in the drivers seat ?

Thanks for the tip on the turbo, and I agree would be a better way to go for sure. Its under 1500 rpm where there is nothing at all, hence the twincharging. If you drop into 2nd at a roundabout then need to prod it, well, it doesn't, then you're back into first with no space left on the tacho.... Frustrating as hell. I had it corner weighted for myself and passenger, as I usually have that combo more often than not.

Corner weighting done properly |B

If you decide Hi flow the turbo may I suggest that you have internal wastegate port ported at the same time to allow more exhaust gas to flow thru it when it opens to help prevent overboosting and or overspeeding of the compressor wheel.

I had that carried out as the first mod to my previous car an 85 JB Mitsubishi Starion that was bought in 92 solely for enjoyment and club level motorsport right up until it was sold to purchase the 2011 FN2 CTR in the side bar.

I don't have any knowledge of shops that carry out that kind of thing in the UK but I dare say any turbo reconditioning workshop would be a good place to start.

I can say or warn that it was the start if a slippery slope that started with SOHC 8 V with TB injectors making only 120 hp ATW and ended up being a 16V MPI TC stroker with 380 hp ATW with a few trials and tribulations along the way.

I had that carried out as the first mod to my previous car an 85 JB Mitsubishi Starion that was bought in 92 solely for enjoyment and club level motorsport right up until it was sold to purchase the 2011 FN2 CTR in the side bar.

I don't have any knowledge of shops that carry out that kind of thing in the UK but I dare say any turbo reconditioning workshop would be a good place to start.

I can say or warn that it was the start if a slippery slope that started with SOHC 8 V with TB injectors making only 120 hp ATW and ended up being a 16V MPI TC stroker with 380 hp ATW with a few trials and tribulations along the way.
I shall investigate, thank you.

This is my Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo Estate 1.2tsi 2017, I recently fitted BC Racing coilovers and a K&N Panel Filter, it's got adjustable antirollbar links from Whiteline, and has been corner weighted, fitted Dotz 17" wheels with Michelin Pilot 4 tyres. It's pretty nippy, but it's fun is not its power but it's road holding, it corners like a super car so is just great fun on twisty roads..... Internally I've added just bits and pieces to tidy it up, next is a cobra exhaust and a rolling road remap, and I'm exploring the possibility of fitting a supercharger from a 1.4tsi twincharge engine just to delete the sluggish uptake all small engines experience at low revs, and possibly a bigger turbo.

A really nice engine, a really nice car, comfy and nimble, and grossly overlooked. You could probably buy a 1.4 tsi Vrs with a few miles on it for £5000 and it would be well quick and a good base to work off. Have fun and stay safe.
View attachment 8775
I do love skoda's.......I had a Superb Estate 170bhp DSG, loved it!! I'm definitely looking Fiesta Zetec S Normally Aspirated version now! Your Monte Carlo is looking good buddy!!

Hello and a very warm, welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin!

So sorry for my very slow reply, I've been moving this site to a new server and tweaking it for better performance pretty much non stop for the last 30 days. Hopefully we are there now, with a much faster more efficient site and server.

I'm sure you'll fit in just fine and look forward to Talking Cars with you.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips and don't be afraid to post questions, were all here to share our knowledge and experience.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back