Newbie from Maidenhead

Carpiquet

Car
Susuki Baleno GLX
As a 1st timer I obviously entered my first effort in the wrong place.
Anyway. I bought a Suzuki Baleno estate to move my mother round when she was ill. It has turned out to be in very good condition, and a delightful car to drive and run.
However, it has a donking noise coming from under the dash on the O.S.
It is motion related as bumpy road conditions set it off.
The garage has determined it is not suspension or steering related.
Although it is not that loud, it is driving me balmy. If the steering wheel is adjusted, it does make a difference, but not stop it.
As I am disabled, I would be obliged if somebody had any idea what was causing it before I attempt to sort it out.
The above, and a tendency to be a bit light at the front,
is in fact, the only bad points about the car.

Mike.

Hello and welcome to TorqueCars, it sounds like the dash or something under the dash is not clipped down properly. I'd open it up and have a look inside if I were you. Does the noise go away if you press down hard on the dashboard?

I expected that was going to be the answer given, but was hoping for something a bit more specific as my bending and looking up under dashboards days are long gone !
Thanks though, I will just have to try and have a delve as best I can.
Still, at least I know the steering suspension are OK, so not all bad news !
Will add news if anything is found over the weekend.

Mike.

Well, I had a grope :lol: under the dashboard and could locate nothing that had movement, or, even a suggestion of such.
Took off grill to see if it was W/Screen wiper links loose. No it wasn't.
So am back to square one at the moment.
While under the bonnet I had a check on mechanicals, which all seem solidly bolted on.
A thought struck me that it could possibly be one of the pedal lever rods, although the sound seems to be coming too near the top, but may have a look tomorrow.
Becoming paranoid about the noise, although it does not bother the main driver. (You know, the one that sits in the passenger seat saying brake now, you're too close, etc.):bigsmile:

Mike.

:lol: I know what you mean about a main driver!

Daft suggestion but does the knock go away with the heaters on full and running hot?

Well !
Got to the bottom of the problem at last.
Partly my own fault as I had suspected that the tracking was out ever since I bought the car, but not being my main transport did not take it in for it to be checked out, although I have had the suspension checked.
However it is odd that they did not find the rubber on the ARB was naff and allowing the bar to just touch/vibrate, onto the cross member !!!
I supose the wear was caused by the tracking being so far out putting stress on the components.
Anyway, having had that corrected, the drive is even better than before, and, I expect the MPG to improve slightly.
I cannot praise the car enough, however, I am afraid of my four cars, it is the one I now have to sell in the near future.
Not sure how I will cope without an estate car though, as my other cars are two-seaters. Should I hang onto it ?

Mike.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back