New with the Rover Metro !

T

Tenshu

Hey guys, i've had a few cars now and recently just bought a rover metro 111 gsi with a mitsubishi fto .. cant afford insurance on that so driving around the metro .. before i had a mk4 golf :) .

Right, basically today i stripped out everything in the car including dashboard :S .. no backseats no roof lining. nothing...its light as a kite :) .

Basically i want some help on a engine that will go in this ... i want something nice and powerful that will fit in it ... what do you recommend?

also what colour ... me and the guys think a matt black effect with the 6r4 body kit? (proper wide arch :) check it out) .... i can get the body kit when i sell my fto :) ..

what do you reckon? .. what would u do ?

Welcome! :bigsmile:

The engine you want is a K series 1.8VVC (have a look at my profile), another popular option is to put the 1.4 or 1.6 engine as these will drop in with little modification, it all depends if your engine is a SPi or a MPi. I can check on the details & let you know if you'd like more info.

Have a look at Motobuild racing & Talonsportcars for some go faster bits for Metro's & 100's. :D

Forget the 6R4 kit unless your prepared to go the whole hog, it's not a kit that can be just bolted on, you'll need to do a lot to make it work. Don't forget the 6R4 was rear wheel drive & had a wider track at the back than the standard metro.

Individualising the suspension, fitting front & rear arbs & brake callipers from a Gti will help a lot as well, all of which Talon sports cars can give advice on & supply the parts needed too. :D

can't you get a kit for these to drop a honda vtec in them?
I think I read about it somewhere but I can't remember

but still the 1.8 vvc is a good engine as used in the s1 lotus elise,

also he tomcat engine I guess will fit, am i right in assuming that it is a 2.0 16v?

I've also seen plenty of rover turbo engines (Standard engines) knocking about and they might be worth a look as well

Last edited:
Tbh I'm not sure about Vtec conversion kits, I've not heard of them before & I don't know of many folks running VTEC's either, I only know of one guy who built one but it took a lot of work.
The same goes for the 2.0T Rover engines there's no many of them fitted either, I imagine its too much hassle to squeeze into a 100/Metro plus I think you'd have to use an after market ECU, like the Emerald, for example.

Reyland do a conversion plate so you can connect a VAG 1.8T to a PG1 gearbox, which is right at the top of my wish list! :bigsmile: I forgot to mention Reyland also have a lot of Metro/100 conversions & parts for sale too.

The K series is popular because it's easy to fit, it's light, powerful & there's loads about. The engine I'm interested in is the 1.8t fitted into the new MG6. This is an evolution of the 1.8 VVC & is likely to find it's way into someone's 100 at some point! :lol: