New Turbo needed?

sirbacharach04

Car
Audi A3 2.0 TDI 140
Hi,

I have the Audi A3 8P1 Quatro 2.0 TDI 140, remapped to 178bhp.
I've not had the car long and the turbo just last night started to make the dreaded siren sound, not just under load, but at low revs in neutral, both with increasing and decreasing revs. It's quite prominent when I first start the car too. Doesn't sound normal.

The following link mentions a Turbo Upgrade that can handle over 200 bhp.
I was looking for some advice on this.
It mentions the GTB2056VK Turbo (I'm guessing that's Garret).
I was wondering where to get one from, I'm in the UK but if it's cheaper to import that would be an option. I was also wondering what I'd need to fit it. Does it need any manifolds or gaskets that I'd need to buy seperately etc? Also, would I need to take it for a retune if I just wanted to keep the 178bhp remap that I already have without going any further?

Any other advice or options you think I need would also be appreciated.

http://www.torquecars.com/volkswagen/2-0-tdi-140-170-tuning.php

You can Garrett turbos daily enough - Owen developments are a good bet.
But there is no getting away from the fact that you will need a new map with a different turbo

Mine has done it since the new turbo was fitted. It's a sinusoidal type noise, breathy owl hoot for a fraction of a second when lifting off the accelerator. It's more an acoustic noise than a mechanical one.

When it's running at full boost it's just standard turbo 'hiss'. This is a sound I actually really quite like, despite my fervour to crush all engine noise in general.

Darkside would be my recommendation too. Fit the turbo that fits your driving style and make sure you get it mapped as soon as it's fitted. A standard turbo remap could blow a new larger turbo, the spools and boost maps are really different.

Keep the oil changes up and your old turbo should last that bit longer.

Oh and a very warm welcome to TorqueCars from a fellow 2.0 TDI 140 owner!

Che
Darkside would be my recommendation too. Fit the turbo that fits your driving style and make sure you get it mapped as soon as it's fitted. A standard turbo remap could blow a new larger turbo, the spools and boost maps are really different.

Keep the oil changes up and your old turbo should last that bit longer.

Oh and a very warm welcome to TorqueCars from a fellow 2.0 TDI 140 owner!

Cheers mate.
What have you done with your car since you've had it?

I noticed when doing the double din conversion that my glovebox was knackered where the damper had sized and snapped an arm that holds it onto the glovebox lid, I want to glue that back together and re enforce it at some point too. Think I know roughly what to do.

Wouldn't mind a reverse camera too whilst I'm at it.

*Link removed until the member has reached the desired 10 posts first*

That's the whistle I'm getting. Doesn't sound as loud on the vid but you get the picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome to the TC forum. Only guys I would talk to for this sort of upgrade would be Darkside Development here. They know everything about the VAG diesel engines and how to upgrade them

I was out last night when I read this.
Just managed to get on the link to Darkside today. They look like a professional outfit, but I think maybe I'm being unrealistic about an upgraded turbo because it looks like I'll end up spending well over 2 grand if that's anything to go by. Then there's a remap for the turbo afterwards.

I really only want to keep the same 178bhp that I've got, but just have something more reliable and not have to worry about the turbo failing again in another 40k. Was looking for something that would fit straight away without having to buy a load of extra bits. Just wish I knew more about the subject so I knew what to look for. Even spending just over a grand would break my heart, but I'd do it if it meant upgrading the turbo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just get a turbo and manifold from the TDI 170 unit then, from a breakers yard, this should give you the headroom you want. Your stock injectors and the Bosch ecu make for a better car IMO than the Siemens 170 units with the DPF annoyances.

I have a switchable map on mine but TBH I keep it standard most of the time for economy reasons. The race map I have is pretty mental but does drink the fuel and I'm not sure the turbo can take it for long periods so that only comes out when I'm wanting to have some track time!

K&N Panel air filter was fitted but made no difference at all. I did get a full BG intake clean which sorted the lumpy idle and a few flatspots. It is a daily work horse so I don't really get to play with it much.

The turbo is an integral part of the exhaust header, yes?
It's bolted to the header, but I seem to recall that the 170 and 140 turbos are very slightly different in the way they are mounted and take different manifolds. Probably something to do with clearance. I'll see if I can verify this for you rather than guess but I was just ass covering suggesting to get the whole unit.

I ask simply because I had read elsewhere that it's a specific component / assembly. Hopefully I won't need a turbo any time soon. Mine was replaced 40,000 miles ago.

It's bolted to the header, but I seem to recall that the 170 and 140 turbos are very slightly different in the way they are mounted and take different manifolds. Probably something to do with clearance. I'll see if I can verify this for you rather than guess but I was just ass covering suggesting to get the whole unit.
If the 170 Turbo and manifold would fit straight on, that would be great, like you say it would give me the headroom I needed, but would likely need a remap. I might be able to twist the companies arm who remapped it to map it again for me under warranty since I only had it done a month ago and now the turbo has potentially failed. It's going in tomorrow for a full oil service and filter change, it's not due according to the service book, but I've only just bought it, so you never can be too sure I guess.

I've read about people saying that once a turbo has failed, it's best to have the pipes and intercooler cleaned out. Would any of you guys bother with this, or do you think it's not needed?

I doubt that would be something I could persuade my garage to do, so it'd probably be something I'd have to do myself after they fitted it for me.

It sounds sensible. Failed seals in the turbo can lead to oil burning and leaking through and clogging other areas of the intake. It makes sense to do this oil change and flush after the new turbo is fitted rather than before.

Replace the clips on the intercooler hoses, the old clips tend to break once removed and refitted especially under the higher boost levels you are running under a remap.

IF you want to do the job properly after a turbo seal failure then one needs to have the IC cleaned along with the pipework as an internally oil film coated intake system cannot wash off the heat effectively so the intake air temps will be higher than a properly cleaned system.

Thanks for the extra advice. It's not going well. The garage had it up on the ramp and can't see any obvious signs of leakage from pipes. They said it's best to run it as it is for a month and see if it gets any worse. They said that with it being a quatro they can't really get at the turbo from the top or from the bottom and apparently it looks like I have a gearbox leak. What a bugger. There's nothing on the drive.

I have to say that I am not especially enamoured with VW products on the whole. They seem to be poorly assembled, unreliable and costly to maintain & repair.