New toy, a GTR

Aerial Andy944

The Torque Meister
Car
VW Golf GT TDi 200
Well my 944 turbo went last February and I've not been on the forum much since as I've been in n' out of hospital for most of the year so I'm glad to see the back of 2011 to be honest! In August I picked up a Skyline R33 GTR V-Spec as I fancied something with a bit more room and was more modern then my beloved 944 but still had a racing pedigree. Haven't really been out yet in it because of illness and so I've had it being recommissioned locally so I can enjoy it this coming year. It's pretty standard actually except for some upgrades in keeping with the Nismo division of Nissan so I'm calling that as standard :D So the exhaust is a titanium one and the breathing has been changed but no remaps, turbo's, injectors etc changed, no spoilers or even mahoosive wheels its all standard. I may even change the exhaust back to a twin pipe version as I prefer the look of these. I must confess it has got HKS SSQV bov's as they were on the car already and I like the sound.

If any R33 owners want to purchase the carbon fibre dash and tv screen as pictured below this has now been removed from the car and an original dash put in so drop me a PM if you're interested.
Well hope to be on here more often now and to keep you updated with how it all goes and get to talk to Waynne and the gang again. I suppose Waynne I should change my username now :lol:

Have a good New Years all :bigsmile:

Attachments

• 100_1325 (Small).jpg
    100_1325 (Small).jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 100_1331 (Small).jpg
    100_1331 (Small).jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Gw3b (Small).jpg
    Gw3b (Small).jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 143
Well looks like you have fallen on your feet with this one Andy, great looking car.
I must admit to having a soft spot for the GTR :love:

PM Waynne about the user name change, I assume it's just 944 for GTR? :amuse:

Actually I wonder if one of the Super Mods PG & TN might be able to help you with the user name change.

Last edited:
1312d1325278540-new-toy-gtr-gw3b-small-.jpg

Love this pic ;)

Cheers guys, thanks for comments and it's good to be back in the real world of cars again. Haven't really been out yet, just saw it and made contact through the SOC forum and the deal was done. Pretty clean body wise and interior was spotless. 80k km documented but has been stood for over a year so got it completely recommissioned while I've been out of it. Yet to see it at full chat but is supposed to be pushing around 360hp which is fine for me don't want to mess with it too much as I did with my 944 which went a bit mental. Wanted the V-Spec version for the technical features and racing pedigree and got it on classic insurance aswell which you wouldn't get with a GTST. I'll get some new pics up when it returns but this is what it looked like few weeks ago at the garage and another pic from previous owner, just loving the big bonnet and front splitter/air scoops.

Attachments

• 000_0098 (Small).jpg
    000_0098 (Small).jpg
    49 KB · Views: 7
  • 000_0099 (Small).jpg
    000_0099 (Small).jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 000_0103 (Small).jpg
    000_0103 (Small).jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF5317 (Small).jpg
    DSCF5317 (Small).jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Sky2215a (Small).jpg
    Sky2215a (Small).jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 3
Got car back last week and put it on the road and it felt awesome after I got used to the longer gearing. Was a bit dissappointed at first, it didn't seem to be going like I thought then when I dialled my brain into the fact it only starts picking up at 4.5krpm through to the redline at 8krpm it simply flew. In the 944 the torque came in low down and at 5krpm I was thinking about changing up in the next 1k revs so in this one I was accelerating from low revs and thinking the torque should be here by now. So change down a gear and the straight six just screams at the other cars as you pass them, sent tingles down my back hearing it! One downside is it has developed a misfire over the weekend so hopefully it's only plug gaps incorrect but a remap may be on the cards if it turns out to be the rich and retard problem. May also be changing the Japspeed titanium exhaust to a Nismo Weldina NE-1 just to keep the Nissan parts connection and the titanium one I have is VERY LOUD!
Getting to see what people are talking about now when they say "have you got the Skyline smile yet?" "Ooohhhhh yes!" I can answer now :bigsmile:

Cheers guys
Went out to the garage this morning to get something and it was just sitting there so had to just go out for a quick spin round the block :amuse: (More tingles :bigsmile:)

Had a Nismo Weldina NE-1 exhaust arrive yesterday from a guy I know in Skyline Owners Club so before it goes onto the car I thought I'd give it a clean. Took some pics as I was really really pleased with the result. This is before I began at about 10.30

Weldina_exhaust_003_Small.jpg

Weldina_exhaust_001_Small.jpg

And then after 3 hours

Weldina_exhaust_016_Small.jpg

Weldina_exhaust_013_Small.jpg

Weldina_exhaust_005_Small.jpg

Found I could use Auto Glym paint renovator on metal work to get the staining out of the metal so really pleased with the result. That's another job off the list.

Nice finish on that Andy! Thanks for the tip about the Auto Glym paint renovator on metal work to get the staining out ;)

Cheers guys. Hoping that little ding will be hidden by the bumper when it's fitted otherwise I'll have to try get it out or it will annoy me. Still, the muffler alone is £920 plus shipping from Japan new and I got the whole system for £250 so shouldn't moan too much

Your going to be like a school boy left alone in Toys R Us when the job is finally finished I can tell :amuse:

Arn't we all T9 :blink1: Quick update. Exhaust is on, looks and sounds soooo much better really pleased with the result. Not quite finished as found some of the exhaust hangers were Ford ones :blink: and it was pushing the muffler off to one side slightly instead of pointing straight out like it should so have some genuine Nissan ones coming to hopefully pull it back straight. Can only guess they used these ones to get the Japspeed one to fit. I'll put some pics up of the fitting and finished article over the weekend. I'll put up more details of the Weldina system aswell, it's a nice piece of kit as I'm finding out more on it :D

Haven't updated for a while, my computer went capputt so getting everything transferred to new one and its taking ages. My phone also is deciding not to talk to the new computer so a lot of pics are still on that.
Anyway the exhaust is all straight now and sounds brilliant. No more ear bleeding on long runs now. Have a bit of an issue with low revs and idle been irratic. Put car on a dyno couple of weeks ago and found TPS was out and both oxygen sensors were stuck at a lean setting so ecu was totally confused to what air/fuel mixture to run. New sensors have arrived but my tools just wont let me get at the old ones so taking it to my friends garage in Bournemouth next week to help. He'll have the right tool as he restores Porsches and built my 944 'Blue Rocket'. The dyno also gave me a nice power reading of 346bhp at the fly, 290bhp at the wheel. Theres was a bit of slipping on the rollers as the 4wd system tried to find grip so may of lost a few gee gees off the reading. Pretty pleased with that as its a completely stock engine now. The Apexi SAFC, boost controller etc is all removed now just the Nismo decat exhaust remains so seems I have a very good healthy engine as I was expecting 300 - 320hp from a stock unit.
I'll try get these pics uploaded soon.

Had the sensors fitted today. Tried to do it myself but my socket set was just too big to slip past the pipework in the way so got a local garage to do it with the right tools. The drive home was so different. Made just town driving a real pleasure now the engine is running so smooth and I'm not having to floor it through the revs to get going past the hesitation. Really really pleased the engine is working now and I don't have to touch it again, well at least for a little bit
20120702_150521.jpg

New bonnet insulation has arrived also but its so clean I'm afraid to fit it

Old insulation to come out
20120710_131113.jpg

Loads of soot and staining behind the insulation so thats to be cleaned yet
20120710_143701.jpg

Halfway there
100_2203.jpg

Shiney paintwork
100_2204.jpg

New insulation all clipped in with new clips and very pleased with that, doesn't take much does it, I'm so sad
100_2205.jpg

100_2206.jpg

100_2207.jpg

As reported earlier the Nismo exhaust now fits lovely in the middle of the exit and straight also. Some pics showing it properly fitted now. Had to put a new bend in it as it seemed it has had a bash during its life which made it stick out at the wrong angle.
20120516_092526.jpg

20120516_092554.jpg

Will try to get the Japanese stickers off the old insulation this week and fix to the new one.

Next jobs are the gearbox rebuild and investigate the aeroplane like whining noise from the rear. Suspect it's wheel bearing or driveshaft.
Thats it for now. Off to enjoy the Classic and Supercar show at Sherborne Castle this weekend :bigsmile:

Yeah MA the old insulation had lost its rigidity (is that a word?) and sagging until it was nearly touching the engine!
The gearbox has a common GTR problem of crunching when selecting 4th. Not sure if theres a rebuild kit or something?

Didn't know 4th was a common problem. 4th gear syncro dies? Change gear more slowly and rev match on downshifts should help it not to crunch!

Very nice so far buddy, the insulation looks great. Can you not just buy new labels and stick them to the new insulation? I had to do a similar thing earlier this year with my carbon fiber slam panel, it was worth the effort :)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back